My DIY equipment rack

I just complete a new, DIY equipment rack: see pics below.

My requirement was for a compact, single-column rack that could accommodate all components; also, make it as easy as possible to swap equipment and reconnect cables. Aesthetics weren't a big concern but I preferred that it be reasonably presentable. In addition, the rack had to cheap.

I wanted a couple of specific features that aren't necessarily easy to find.
    1. Adjustable shelf which I figured I needed to hold all equipment in a compact format, and
    2. Wheels so the rack could be move in aid of easy recabling.
    I think all requirements are met. The finish isn't furniture grade but reasonable -- I'm very likely to repaint to a color other than yellow.

Nice!

Like the bottom a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post
    Nice!

Like the bottom a lot.
    Thanks. I wanted a good stable base given that the unit is on casters and will be rolled occasionally. The base members are all just construction grade 2x6; the vertical members are 3/4" plywood; the shelves either 1/2 or 3/4" MDF.

Nice Feanor! Good job!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Nice Feanor! Good job!
    Thanks, Frenchmon,

It's working well. It was easy to accomodate everything given the adjustable shelves and the fact that I could install cables, them roll it back tight against the shelf unit behind.

The shelfs are supported by standard 1/4" shelf holders that plug into 1/4" holes I drilled in the plywood verticals.

Current equipment complement is, top to bottom:
    1. Technics SL-D2 t/t with Denon DL-110 cartridge
    2. TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    3. Denon TU-767 tuner
    4. Sony SCD-775CE SACD player
    5. eBay generic Wolfson WM8740-based DAC
    6. Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp, (not currently connected)
    7. Jolida JD50A passive preamp
    8. Belkin Pure AV mains filter and power manager
    9. Class D Audio SDS-258 power amp

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I love it, nice work. Is the design solely yours? If so it's very well thought out. BTW what's that thing on the top?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    I love it, nice work. Is the design solely yours? If so it's very well thought out. BTW what's that thing on the top?
    Yes, the design is soley mine. It's quite simple and easy to build -- it needed to be since I don't have much in terms of skill or woodworking tools.

Most of the lumber was cut at Home Deport. I did shape the base extensions myself with a hand jigsaw.

The thing on top? I'm not sure: it hasn't been used in quite a while.

I am good with wood and have thought about doing something like that myself but have not got around to it. I would bet the piece you built is better than one of the $1000 dollar racks on audio adviser and is built twice as well and twice as strong. If I ever got another rack for my setup I think I would build it myself as well since there is no point in pissing money away when you have the ability to do it yourself.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

By the way I forgot to say it looks good! What are going to do paint it, stain it. I am just curious.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    By the way I forgot to say it looks good! What are going to do paint it, stain it. I am just curious.
    Presently, excepting the shelves, the unit is painted with some yellow, "satin" finish latex which I happened to have around. The wood isn't matched and isn't nicely filled & sanded, so transparent or semi-trans stain wouldn't work.

I might paint it a different color, say a brown, (not black!), but I'm too cheap to layout 15 bucks for a quart of custom mix -- perhaps I'll wait for a sale

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I am good with wood and have thought about doing something like that myself but have not got around to it. I would bet the piece you built is better than one of the $1000 dollar racks on audio adviser and is built twice as well and twice as strong. If I ever got another rack for my setup I think I would build it myself as well since there is no point in pissing money away when you have the ability to do it yourself.
    Hand tools was all I had to work with -- no table saw or drill press which would have be nice. Consequenlty the design had to accomodate imprecise cutting and drilling. This fact, together with the need for adjustability and movebility, necessitated a little thought but the resulting design ended up being very simple.

The unit is strong, stable, and reasonably vibration-free, IMO.

Charm Thai™
    Super duper rack Feanor. A new paint job will really set it off. The adjustable racks are an invaluable touch too.

The only other thing i would have like to have seen is for it to be slightly wider...just wide enough to fit the sonic frontiers item so you could push it back a bit so it's flush to the front of the rack. Pretty picky i know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Super duper rack Feanor. A new paint job will really set it off. The adjustable racks are an invaluable touch too.

The only other thing i would have like to have seen is for it to be slightly wider...just wide enough to fit the sonic frontiers item so you could push it back a bit so it's flush to the front of the rack. Pretty picky i know.
    Thanks, Hills,

I designed the rack to accommodate standard rack-sized equipment, i.e. inner dimension about 17.5" wide and external with "wings" 19". The Sonic Frontiers is the full 19" even though it isn't drilled for bolt-in mounting. Yep, I could push it back agains the vertical supports.

Thread Information