Linear Guy

anti-vibration pod alternatives

Since looking for simple alternatives is a preoccupation of mine, I decided to try something new for vibration control. I went to Dick's sporting goods and bought 4 hockey pucks at 89 cents each. I put them under my CD player and even my wife ( who claims she cannot tell the difference in anything related to audio gear) says it sounds a bit cleaner and sweeter. I put a set under my Dynalab tuner and noticed a similar improvement also. Minor....but noticeable. I do not know what the difference in compression or composition is between a hockey puck and the rubber bumpers manufactured for audio but I'm suggesting they might be functionally close. The pucks don't look all that bad either. Go ahead, fire away guys, I can take it. ..........

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    Since looking for simple alternatives is a preoccupation of mine, I decided to try something new for vibration control. I went to Dick's sporting goods and bought 4 hockey pucks at 89 cents each. I put them under my CD player and even my wife ( who claims she cannot tell the difference in anything related to audio gear) says it sounds a bit cleaner and sweeter. I put a set under my Dynalab tuner and noticed a similar improvement also. Minor....but noticeable. I do not know what the difference in compression or composition is between a hockey puck and the rubber bumpers manufactured for audio but I'm suggesting they might be functionally close. The pucks don't look all that bad either. Go ahead, fire away guys, I can take it. ..........
    Sounds good to me. I have also heard of using the balls used in handball cut in half under cd players. I am still using a set of Audio Technica isolation feet from the mid to late 70's. They still isolate well and the money I do not spend on new devices I can spend on music. If it sounds better it is better. I will give some a try. Thanks for the tip.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

it's about the music
    hockey pucks sound hell sexy to me!
    however i must admit i'm thorougly impressed with the VibraPods i'm using. However i might just go out and spend the 8 bucks to have a fun afternoon of experimenting!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Thread Information