• 04-10-2004, 09:49 AM
    aimen
    Driver connections in MTM design
    hi
    i am palning to use two of Vifa PL17 mid/woofers in an MTM configuration with vifa N26 tweeter.
    what i wat to ask here is that i cant find the 4 ohm version of PL17 at vifa site so that i can use them in series connection which yealds 8 ohm nominal load.
    connecting 8 ohm-PL17s in series will make them 16ohm and the amp wont be able to produce sufficent power and connecting them in parallel will make them 4 ohms but there lowest load will be 2.8 ohms at around 200hz according to www.speakerbuilder.com, which in my knowledge is to low for an budget amp.

my Question
    is there any way i can solve this problem
    how should i connect them
    are there any other mid-woofers which i can use other than PL17 in the same price range and quality
    PL13, PL14 are options but they are weak in Midbase area
    PL18 is also an option but it costs twice the price of PL17

i dont now much abt other companies
    i heard that Dayton woofers are of gr8 value
    i saw some of there 6.5incher but there frqs charts and stuff doesnt look that good and they are mostly appreciated cuz of there base rather than midrange
    i will be using a subwoofer with them so what i need from them is solid midrange and midbase, pl13, pl14 does the first thing rite and Dayton 6 does the second, PL17 does both of them right, i want something like PL17 in 4ohms (for series connection) or like 10-12ohms version so that i can connect them in parallel

i saw a speaker at speakerbuilder.com, they used two PL18s in series connection and there ohms load was from 3.8 to 6.6 all the way, i dont know how they managed it to do, but surly be writing them a mail abt guidlines, meanwhile i hoping few guidlines from here on an MTM design aswell

thank u
    aimen
  • 04-10-2004, 12:03 PM
    karl k
    Aimen, I feel your pain man!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aimen
    hi
    i am palning to use two of Vifa PL17 mid/woofers in an MTM configuration with vifa N26 tweeter.
    what i wat to ask here is that i cant find the 4 ohm version of PL17 at vifa site so that i can use them in series connection which yealds 8 ohm nominal load.
    connecting 8 ohm-PL17s in series will make them 16ohm and the amp wont be able to produce sufficent power and connecting them in parallel will make them 4 ohms but there lowest load will be 2.8 ohms at around 200hz according to www.speakerbuilder.com, which in my knowledge is to low for an budget amp.

my Question
    is there any way i can solve this problem
    how should i connect them
    are there any other mid-woofers which i can use other than PL17 in the same price range and quality
    PL13, PL14 are options but they are weak in Midbase area
    PL18 is also an option but it costs twice the price of PL17

i dont now much abt other companies
    i heard that Dayton woofers are of gr8 value
    i saw some of there 6.5incher but there frqs charts and stuff doesnt look that good and they are mostly appreciated cuz of there base rather than midrange
    i will be using a subwoofer with them so what i need from them is solid midrange and midbase, pl13, pl14 does the first thing rite and Dayton 6 does the second, PL17 does both of them right, i want something like PL17 in 4ohms (for series connection) or like 10-12ohms version so that i can connect them in parallel

i saw a speaker at speakerbuilder.com, they used two PL18s in series connection and there ohms load was from 3.8 to 6.6 all the way, i dont know how they managed it to do, but surly be writing them a mail abt guidlines, meanwhile i hoping few guidlines from here on an MTM design aswell

thank u
    aimen

I recently had the same problem a couple mths back with some tweeters that PE carried exclusively until a mth before I could afford them. I got lucky that the drivers were still available from manufacturer so I got PE to "special order" them in.

In your case, you can't do that so after looking around a bit, IF IT WERE ME, I would go with the PL18-09-4 and just save my money. Even at twice the cost, we're still only talking $60. That's a couple lawns to mow, and a couple weeks allowance. I don't have the specs on the 17, but if they are like the 18's, they would make a nice replacement. I assume this is a kit that is tested so I would be leary of going to far away from Vifa. You could ask the maker or promoter of the kit and see if they have any recommendations.
  • 04-10-2004, 01:19 PM
    aimen
    well i think i will go with PL18s
    i was thinking of using MTM all around my setup as i also will use it all chanel Stereo alot
    but i guess i forgot HT is my main thing
    so i will use PL18s in front row in MTM
    and maybe single PL17-00-08 in rears or maybe one PL18 4 ohms version as rear channels dont do much work all the time so that shouldnt be probelm for amp, and maybe i will add another set in later or so, i will increase the budget for mains on the cost of rears for the mean time or so.

thx for ur advice Karl K

Aimen RG
  • 04-12-2004, 06:00 AM
    Dick Hertz
    MTM connections
    I'd get Vifa 8 ohm driver and connect them in parallel which is preferred to a series connection. The downside is your amp has to be able to drive an 4 ohm load.

I wouldn't consider the Dayton 6.5 inchers. Although they have pretty good bass response, they lack the mid range detail of the Vifas.