DIY Rack Done **PICS***

Printable View

  • 07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
    poneal
    DIY Rack Done **PICS***
    I braved the 104 heat index yesterday for awhile and then went in. Started back at 7:00pm. Went back out at 11:00pm to sand and put another coat of poly. Poof all done this morning. Just gotta hook everything up.

    I didn't hook up all the equipment becasue it was getting heavy fast. The amp goes on bottom, AVR on top of that, dual fans, and someday a DVD player with rack ears. The fan is on order and should be here by the weekend.

    Enjoy,

    Paul

    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack1.jpg
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack2.jpg
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack3.jpg
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack4.jpg
  • 07-24-2006, 09:26 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poneal
    I braved the 104 heat index yesterday for awhile and then went in. Started back at 7:00pm. Went back out at 11:00pm to sand and put another coat of poly. Poof all done this morning. Just gotta hook everything up.

    I didn't hook up all the equipment becasue it was getting heavy fast. The amp goes on bottom, AVR on top of that, dual fans, and someday a DVD player with rack ears. The fan is on order and should be here by the weekend.

    Enjoy,

    Paul

    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack1.jpg
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack2.jpg
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack3.jpg
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/rack4.jpg

    Nice work, Paul...I just painted mine black and used 3/4" MDF, but 1sheet of MDF sure beats paying $200-$300...
    :dita: (inside joke)
  • 07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
    poneal
    Ah yes, my FU to the world psot over at HT Guide :)
    Ya, the price on racks is really expensive. I figure I spent a total of about $80 for this project no including the equipment :). Can't wait to get the fan in and cover the hole. I'm thinking of putting some screen material on the back to help keep the dust down inside. Of course then I have to periodically clean the screen. The problem is that it gets so dusty here in south Texas that it wrecks havoc on electronics. That and my pets hair. Bad combo there. I love being able to plug everything into the conditioner and only having 1 plug in the wall socket. Makes getting to the back a lot easier, cleaner, etc. Again, thanks for the compliment.

    Paul
  • 07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
    kexodusc
    FWIW, I think you got a raw deal at HT Guide...and that whole thing was blown out of proportion...oh well, screw them.

    Buy one of those cheap, plug in air filter/purifier thingy's from Sears or something, I found it makes a huge difference in my a/v room. Pollen is really bad here in the spring, last year I could wipe a yellow smear off my amps that looked like someone just banged two chalkboard erasers over them...it was that heavy. Bought one of those filter thingy's for my allergies and noticed a pleasant surprise - dust was reduced and the air was better.

    I just swiffer rag my gear once a week. Dust is unavoidable I think, so you have to keep on it.
  • 07-25-2006, 07:39 AM
    poneal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    FWIW, I think you got a raw deal at HT Guide...and that whole thing was blown out of proportion...oh well, screw them.

    Ya, me and Thomas really never saw eye to eye so he was probably thrilled that I posted that over there so that he could screw me--which he did. Oh well. I'm not going to loose any sleep over it :)
  • 07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
    Glen B
    Great job on the rack. :thumbsup: In my almost 38 years in this hobby, I've found that a rear panel only does so much in keeping dust off your equipment and actually allows dust bunnies to accumulate where you can't readily get access. I no longer bother with rear or side panels on on my rack -- makes it easier to get under, to the sides and in back of components. I just use the Swiffer Duster with extension wand once a week.

    Glen
  • 07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
    poneal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Glen B
    Great job on the rack. :thumbsup: In my almost 38 years in this hobby, I've found that a rear panel only does so much in keeping dust off your equipment and actually allows dust bunnies to accumulate where you can't readily get access. I no longer bother with rear or side panels on on my rack -- makes it easier to get under, to the sides and in back of components. I just use the Swiffer Duster with extension wand once a week.

    Glen

    Thank you very much. I almost left it as a skelton frame and at the last moment put the sides and top on. It would have been easier to get to the connections that way for sure. It is better than what I did have though. I had to unplug stuff so that I could get the room needed to make connections. A real pain in the arse. This way, I just sit the mixer on top and swivel it 90degrees and bingo open everything. Again, thank you very much for the compliment. Paul