Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar

DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner

I just recently completed construction of my DIY balanced power AC line conditioner and thought I would post some pics. It employs two separate transformers, one for analog components and the other for digital, each preceded by its own EMI/RFI filter. The two sections share only a common circuit breaker and IEC power inlet.

Parts List:
    2,000VA and 250VA balanced isolation transformers.
    Qualtek high-current EMI/RFI filters.
    Furutech FP15A silver duplex receptacles.
    Auricaps.
    Pass & Seymour 20A dead -front GFCI switches.
    Carlingswitch 20A hydraulic-magnetic breaker.
    Schurter 20A IEC inlet.
    Par-Metal aluminum & steel chassis.
    Mono-crystal and OFC wire.
    Miscellaneous hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bps_04.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bps_09.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bps_07.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bps_10.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bps_1.jpg  

Forum Regular

Tell Me More!

I would like more details on this. Can you post a link or more information on building this?

Thank you!
    biffy7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbandpc
    I would like more details on this. Can you post a link or more information on building this?

Thank you!
    I provided a basic description and parts list. I thought that would be enough for the reasonably knowledegable and experienced do-it-yourselfer. If you are looking for step-by-step details, I don't have any. Following are links to my post on the project at Audio Asylum, rough schematic and other information on balanced power.

The most basic implementation would be a balanced isolation transformer with the primary attached to a power cord plugged into a 120V outlet and the secondary attached to a duplex outlet into which your components are plugged. For safety, a 20A breaker rated for medium or long inrush current should be used on the primary and a ground fault interrupter should be used on the secondary. With a standard household supply, the neutral side is grounded. Balanced power uses two "hots," neither of which is grounded. With equipment connected to balanced power, what would be the normally grounded neutral side is now "hot." Any accidental contact with that now hot side poses a risk of shock.

How elaborate balanced power is implemented depends on the individual. Isolation transformers are great at eliminating low and medium frequency noise but not as effective with high frequencies and could allow such noise to slip through. An EMI/RFI filter placed before the transformer filters high frequency noise beforehand.

If you are not a skilled do-it-yourselfer experienced in working with household electricity, I would advise against attempting such a project. You are still dealing with as much electrical energy as a 15A or 20A household circuit will pass. That is enough to kill yourself or cause a fire if you make a mistake.

Post at Audio Asylum:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/twe...es/103826.html

My rough schematic:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...ancedpower.jpg

Information on balanced power at Equitech Corp.:
    http://www.equitech.com/articles/origin.html

Article on balanced power at Secrets of Home Theater:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-8-2003.html

Forum Regular
    I think your floating secondary is very dangerous. The voltage can drift all over the place with respect to the rest of the household wiring. This can be a real problem if you connect some components to the floating conditioned supply and some to household wiring. You should read applicable sections of NEC article 250 on grounding or get advice from an electrician or your town's building department electrical inspector. Look for specific information about grounded electrodes and grounding neutrals. IMO, what you should do is tie the neutral of the primary and one of the secondar legs together. this will bring the neutral through to the other side and establish the same reference zero voltage point for the conditioned side of the transformer as the rest of the system. BTW, it is illegal to use a circuit breaker or fuse on the neutral leg so be sure it's on the hot side. In case you haven't done it, you need to bring the safety ground through to the ground leads for your receptacles as well. They should be securely bonded. Get advice from expert help if you do not understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    I think your floating secondary is very dangerous. The voltage can drift all over the place with respect to the rest of the household wiring. This can be a real problem if you connect some components to the floating conditioned supply and some to household wiring. You should read applicable sections of NEC article 250 on grounding or get advice from an electrician or your town's building department electrical inspector. Look for specific information about grounded electrodes and grounding neutrals. IMO, what you should do is tie the neutral of the primary and one of the secondar legs together. this will bring the neutral through to the other side and establish the same reference zero voltage point for the conditioned side of the transformer as the rest of the system. BTW, it is illegal to use a circuit breaker or fuse on the neutral leg so be sure it's on the hot side. In case you haven't done it, you need to bring the safety ground through to the ground leads for your receptacles as well. They should be securely bonded. Get advice from expert help if you do not understand this.

What are you talking about ? Before launching into what I consider to be a condescending diatribe, did you even look at the schematic ? Do you even know the first thing about balanced power ? Its funny that out of the many responses I received when I posted this project at Audio Asylum, no one else found a problem with the implementation.

Now, to respond in fact to your comments:

“I think your floating secondary is very dangerous. the voltage can drift all over the place with respect to the rest of the household wiring.”

The secondary is NOT floating. The center tap is grounded. The power company transformer supplying your home has the same balanced configuration with the center tap grounded at the pole with two 120V hots.

“IMO, what you should do is tie the neutral of the primary and one of the secondary legs together. this will bring the neutral through to the other side and establish the same reference zero voltage point for the conditioned side of the transformer as the rest of the system.”

Wrong. Tying the incoming neutral to one of the secondary legs will unbalance the system and defeat its purpose. The NEC recognizes that with balanced power the two hots are ungrounded and permits this. That’s why the NEC requires a GFCI on the secondary for safety.

“BTW, it is illegal to use a circuit breaker or fuse on the neutral leg so be sure it's on the hot side. In case you haven't done it, you need to bring the safety ground through to the ground leads for your receptacles as well. They should be securely bonded. Get advice from expert help if you do not understand this.”

I have the breaker in the hot line. The center taps of the transformer(s), receptacles, GFCIs and EMI filter cans are all bonded to the incoming ground.

I have been working with electricity for more than 36 years and don’t need advice from you. Read up on balanced power before you make criticisms and assumptions about my knowledge and capabilities. Although my profile says “newbie,” I have been posting at AudioReview in one of its previous incarnations since 1998. I would be happy to provide links to some of my old reviews.

Forum Regular
    Pretty touchy GlenB. No I didn't look at your schematic. Now that I have, I've changed my opinion.

Forum Regular
    Glen, that looks gorgous!!! Impressive.

BTW, you did take skeptic's criticism pretty rough. "Clark, I haven't seen a beating like that since [someone] put a banana in my pants and let a monkey lose!" -Eddie from one of the Vacation movies

Forum Regular
    He's from Audio Asylum, it's to be expected. That's how a lot of them are over there. With Jon Risch as the moderator, they're often at each other's throats.

He's from Audio Asylum, it's to be expected. That's how a lot of them are over there. With Jon Risch as the moderator, they're often at each other's throats.
    That and the fact that with your infinite wisdom, you shot first, insulted your fellow electrical engineer and asked questions later. You "changed your opinion" but never apologized. Some call that arrogance.

rw

Forum Regular
    "Some call that arrogance."

In civilized society it is. At Audio Asylum, it's just par for the course. (I wanted him to feel at home here. Making the transition out of the bizzarro world and into ours, it's only natural that he might feel culture shock so a few insults and a little abuse will ease the change.) Besides, E-Stat, what do you want, a signed Magna Carta? I already said I changed my mind when I looked at it. After staying around here for a while, my motto is "Ready, Fire, Aim." (After my threads on "A Love Supreme" it seems many times all I have to do is fill in between the dots.)

"Besides, E-Stat, what do you want, a signed Magna Carta?
    I can only imagine your response if some guy told you that one of your electrical projects broke code, was dangerous, even illegal and said if you didn't understand any of that, you would help them out.

rw

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    I just recently completed construction of my DIY balanced power AC line conditioner and thought I would post some pics. It employs two separate transformers, one for analog components and the other for digital, each preceded by its own EMI/RFI filter. The two sections share only a common circuit breaker and IEC power inlet.

Parts List:
    2,000VA and 250VA balanced isolation transformers.
    Qualtek high-current EMI/RFI filters.
    Furutech FP15A silver duplex receptacles.
    Auricaps.
    Pass & Seymour 20A dead -front GFCI switches.
    Carlingswitch 20A hydraulic-magnetic breaker.
    Schurter 20A IEC inlet.
    Par-Metal aluminum & steel chassis.
    Mono-crystal and OFC wire.
    Miscellaneous hardware.
    Very nice. Please post schematic - if permissible.

What are the surge protection specs?

Forum Regular

Take your beating like a man

Hey skeptic you asked for it...take your beating, eat your crow. It will teach you not to smack someone around before carefully seeing if your arguments have merit.

To quote one of my favorite movies: "Hmm I don't know I could use a good beating, I haven't had one in a while"

The only comment I have on Glen B is that he is brave...I am a EE Yet I have never been comfortable building anything that even has a remote chance of sparking or catching fire.
    (When I was 8 I modified a ocillating fan control and it sparked and knocked me flat, memorable).
    His design looks sound but I perfer to shell out $80 for a good Triplite AC filter surge protector.

Peace, Love and Audio for all
    Ciscokid1970

I haven't visited AR in some time so that is why I am now responding. Hey, you caught me on a bad day. In hindsight, my response could have been "more diplomatic." I really wouldn't say people are at each other's throats at AA. Actually, there was a time when you could say that such was the case here at AR. I find things more quiet and civilized here now.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid1970
    Hey skeptic you asked for it...take your beating, eat your crow. It will teach you not to smack someone around before carefully seeing if your arguments have merit.

To quote one of my favorite movies: "Hmm I don't know I could use a good beating, I haven't had one in a while"

The only comment I have on Glen B is that he is brave...I am a EE Yet I have never been comfortable building anything that even has a remote chance of sparking or catching fire.
    (When I was 8 I modified a ocillating fan control and it sparked and knocked me flat, memorable).
    His design looks sound but I perfer to shell out $80 for a good Triplite AC filter surge protector.

Peace, Love and Audio for all
    Ciscokid1970
    The only parts of concern are the Auricaps. A number of companies are using them as differential filters in their products, most notably Balanced Power Technologies. I am not alone in my bravado.

How much would you...

charge to build me one?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    Very nice. Please post schematic - if permissible.

What are the surge protection specs?
    Sorry, I don't have a schematic. Surge protection is 210 joules. I have had similar levels of protection for the past couple of decades and never had an audio or video component fail. I usually unplug my equipment during electrical storms anyway.
    Last edited by Glen B; 09-15-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    How much would you...charge to build me one?
    The raw parts cost alone is $1,200. For that money you could get a brand new BP-2 (1,800VA, $1,100) or BP-2.5 (2,400VA, $1,400) from Balanced Power Technologies. I did my DIY project not to save on the cost of factory-built unit but because I thought I could build one as good as or better with the parts that I like.

Were I to buy a BPT, SMART Devices or other brand unit, I would end up spending several hundred dollars in modifications, replacing parts like the Hubbell, Eagle/Cooper and Leviton devices in their products. IMO, the Furutech FP-15A silver receptacles and Pass & Seymour GFCIs that I use in my project are superior parts. The contacts in the Furutech outlets are the heaviest I have seen of any receptacle to date -- 15 or 20A.

Since my original post, the unit has been rebuilt and is now a "MKII" version with 2kVA Equi=Tech “Q” type transformer for analog and several other changes/improvements. (Some owners of BPT balanced power units claim to hear a slight hum. The Equi=Tech Q transformer is extremely tolerant of DC and severe power line distortion and is absolutely silent, thanks to its massive core). Because this replacement tranny was much larger and heavier than the original (12" diameter, 60 lbs vs. 8" diameter, 35 lbs). I had to switch to a larger chassis but was able to keep the same rear panel.

Other changes/improvements:

1. Used higher temperature rated wire in some places.
    2. Improved/revised wire routing and connection points.
    3. Replaced uninsulated faston connectors with insulated ones.
    4. Replaced steel transformer mounting hardware with bronze.
    5. Added vibration-damping materials to chassis inside surfaces and top cover.
    6. Discontinued use of EMI/RFI filter on input of large tranny (per recommendation by manufacturer). Filter was causing loss of detail.
    7. Switched EMI/RFI filter on input of small tranny from Qualtek brand to Corcom.

Updated inside pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bp_-3.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bp_5.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-bp_-6.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    biffy7 likes this.

Dude, that is sweet!! Very, very nice.
    Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

After almost 5 years, here's my latest upgrade and rebuild that now has three isolation transformers. Now, instead of punching holes in the rear panel myself, with rotary and nibbler tools, I furnished a cutout drawing to the chassis manufacturer, Par-Metal Corp., and had them do the hole punching at the factory for a flat $30 charge. The rear panel has a cleaner, more "professional" look than my previous efforts.

New version: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/2083672

Previous versions: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/1741050
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-b_1.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-b_2.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-b_3.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-b_4.jpg   DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner-b_5.jpg  

biffy7 likes this.

Glen B - that is super pimp!

I wish I was knowledgeable about EE - it is so interesting but I hate math so much.

nightflier
    Very impressive indeed. To isolate the digital from the analog, I've been using to power systems (one Monster and the other Furman). Probably nothing like what you've built, but it works for now. I also don't have an EE...

At the risk of getting pimp-slapped like an AA newbie, any thoughts on adding one or more LEDs to the front? Granted, my Monster's light show is quite the eye-sore, but just for piece of mind, it's nice to know that at least your power center is on and working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Glen B - that is super pimp!

I wish I was knowledgeable about EE - it is so interesting but I hate math so much.
    There are a lot of non-EEs doing some serious DIY work. Just pay a visit to diyAudio forum and the Lab at Audio Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Very impressive indeed. To isolate the digital from the analog, I've been using to power systems (one Monster and the other Furman). Probably nothing like what you've built, but it works for now. I also don't have an EE.

At the risk of getting pimp-slapped like an AA newbie, any thoughts on adding one or more LEDs to the front? Granted, my Monster's light show is quite the eye-sore, but just for piece of mind, it's nice to know that at least your power center is on and working properly.
    Look at picture #4 in post # 20, and also in the photo gallery at the first link. I have a blue LED on the front panel.
    Last edited by Glen B; 05-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Great work, Glen. I just came across your posting - the project is impressive. Tried to access the schematic, but the link seems to be broken. Could you repost? Thanks!

J

Exceedingly cool

After almost 5 years, here's my latest upgrade and rebuild that now has three isolation transformers. Now, instead of punching holes in the rear panel myself, with rotary and nibbler tools, I furnished a cutout drawing to the chassis manufacturer, Par-Metal Corp., and had them do the hole punching at the factory for a flat $30 charge. The rear panel has a cleaner, more "professional" look than my previous efforts.

New version: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/2083672

Previous versions: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/1741050
    Thanks for sharing, Glen. Unfortunately I'm not an electronics DIY, or I'd be all over it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information