Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Does anyone have any experience with Parts Express' Dayton BR-1 Speakers?

Hi guys,

I've purchased an AR.com DIY (Ed Frias) kit for myself, however, before I begin and bugger those up, I'd really like to try building something very simple.
    Just wondering if anybody's heard anything about these:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-642

They are much cheaper, so I wouldn't feel bad using them as learning tools...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hi guys,

I've purchased an AR.com DIY (Ed Frias) kit for myself, however, before I begin and bugger those up, I'd really like to try building something very simple.
    Just wondering if anybody's heard anything about these:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-642

They are much cheaper, so I wouldn't feel bad using them as learning tools...thanks!
    I have no direct experience with the BR-1 kit, but I did build a pair of AR.coms last winter, and it was my first speaker kit. It was easy.

My question for you is, what do you think you might bugger up? The AR.com kit is really no more difficult to build than the BR-1 kit. Did you buy the crossover parts, or the pre-built crossovers from Madisound? Are you going to make your own cabinets, or did you buy the premade ones from Speakercity? Ed Frias has put his stamp of approval on both of these. The price for the Madisound crossovers is barely more than for the separate parts. The Speakercity cabinets are nicely made and finished. They are solid oak on the top, sides, and bottom, and particleboard on the front and back. Parts Express now sells some premade cabinets that also look like they would be good.

The only work you have to do is to wire the crossovers to the drivers and the terminal cup, drill some holes, and mount them in the cabinet. The only step that might qualify as being tricky is learning how to make the quick disconnects fit tight enough without being too tight. Its a good idea to have some extra quick disconnects around, but they are cheap and usually come in bags of 50 or more. Another step that was easy, but required some trial and error was modifying the insides of the grills supplied by Speakcity to fit over the woofer. I used a Dremel tool instead of a flat file as Ed described in his instructions. The only other hint I can offer is to be generous with the polyester stuffing. It makes a difference in the bass response.

I'm getting into speaker building gradually. I first wanted to hear what this kit sounds like. Without any hesitation, I can say they are great. They compare favorably to other small 2-way speakers that retail for at least triple the cost. My next step is to build my own cabinets.

Thread Information