Forum Regular

Repairing Old Speaker Grills

I did a search on speaker cloth and speaker grills, but could not find exactly what I needed. I would like to replace the speaker cloth on the grills of an old pair of Mission speakers. 1st question, wher can I find speaker cloth? I saw in another post that JoAnn fabrics carries it. Any place else? I am looking for just plan black, in a good quality. 2nd question, what type of glue (or contact cement maybe?) should I use to adhere the fabric to the existing plastic grill frame? Unfortunately, I cannot just build a new wood frame, as the existing grill wraps over the corner of the speaker and sits flush with the side face of the cabinet. A wood frame would be too thick to allow this. (I hope that makes sense.) Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The Collector
    you should be able to get grille fabric at any good audio shop. i would recommend using Acoustone, it is the most audio transparent material i have found so far.

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/p...ille_cloth.asp

The Collector
    oh and for adhesive use 3M super 77

Forum Regular
    pelly-

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how I make out.

The Collector
    Im glad it worked out for you.

Forum Regular
    Pelly,

Thanks for the help. I ended up finding the fabirc at a local JoAnn Fabrics and it was a surprisingly great match in quality, weight, and color to the original fabric on the grills. I was worried about gluing the fabric to the plastic frames, but it turned out not to be an issue. I ended up using some stuff called "E6000" which worked out great. They look good as new!

Thread Information