Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Dayton sale at Parts Express

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Thanks Geoff..

For $185, I highly recommend the 15" Quatro/240 amp combo. It's a very efficient woofer and a workhorse amp that has incredible sound in a 2.5 to 3.5 cubic ft sealed enclosure (go ported if you want more SPL and sub 20 Hz extension for HT).
    It easily wiped the floor with my Paradigm PW-2200, and is better sounding (more musical IMO) than my parents Dayton Titanic 12" MKIII sub.

Forum Regular
    Sweet. How can ya go wrong with that? Now is the time to jump into DIY.

I second that 240 amp recommendation, it is a quality product. You will not be disappointed.

jocko

The timing is off for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    But I'd really like to get a pair of those Reference 10" High Fidelity models ...
    I'd like to build a pair of sealed-box subwoofers with these to be powered by my old Phase Linear 400 downstream of a Behringer active crossove.

Forum Regular
    Hi..
    I got Power Amp From Rotel RB-956AX 6x60watt 8ohm, and i can adjust vol Level on every chanel, I can Bridge every 2 chanels to 100watt.
    I whant to build a subwoofer.
    I whant to use this Power amp to drive the subwoofer.
    Can my Rotel drive the 10' woofer from dyton?

Forum Regular
    I have two of 'em Feanor. They are very, very nice. That setup would be great. I have them ported and tuned to 22 Hz, however, quite damped. I am probably gaining a little low-end extension, though the sound is probably more like an enclosed cabinet.

If you have a couple of bucks and some time, it would sound terrific.

jocko

Probably

Quote Originally Posted by alexperl
    Hi..
    I got Power Amp From Rotel RB-956AX 6x60watt 8ohm, and i can adjust vol Level on every chanel, I can Bridge every 2 chanels to 100watt.
    I whant to build a subwoofer.
    I whant to use this Power amp to drive the subwoofer.
    Can my Rotel drive the 10' woofer from dyton?
    Two things:
    1. 60 watts might be a bit skimpy for the sub, so bridging would be good provided the bridged amp is able to handle this speaker's 4 ohm load -- sometimes a stereo amp that good for 4 ohms each amp used separately, is only rated for 8 ohms when bridged. Check the Rotel specifications carefully.
    2. You will need a crossover. A passive crossover work ; use a 3rd or 4th order crossover to match vented main speakers. If using a passive, you'll need some means to match the Rotel's volume to your main amp's; if the Rotel doesn't have a volume control, you'll need a fixed or variable L-pad will do this. An active crossover however is much preferrable; of course, it would go between your preamp (or main amp as the case may be) and the Rotel

Forum Regular
    For the money, just get the Dayton 240 watt sub amp. It will drive those 10 inch as far as they can go. You also get two ways to connect it and a variable crossover. The line-level RCA connection has an in and an out, you can loop it back into the main power amp. That is what I am doing, using the main pre-outs to loop to the subs then back to the power amp.

I think they were $117.00 or something. A real deal.

jocko

Forum Regular
    Thank you very much..

Forum Regular

The NHT10

I looked at the manual, i can use bridge mode only at 8 ohm load.
    Can i use bridge mode at 12 ohm?
    If yes, how is this driver http://www.madisound.com/nht10subkit.html
    Thank's

12 Ohms, yes, but note ...

Quote Originally Posted by alexperl
    I looked at the manual, i can use bridge mode only at 8 ohm load.
    Can i use bridge mode at 12 ohm?
    If yes, how is this driver http://www.madisound.com/nht10subkit.html
    Thank's
    At 12 ohms the power output will be less than the 8 ohm spec.

'Fraid I don't know much about the NHT woofer. Note the Madison kit uses two drivers; assuming they are driven in parallel, the impedance experienced by an amplifier would be 6 ohms.

For that matter, two 4 ohm speakers, such as the Daytons, if driven in series, would yield an 8 ohm load for the amp. But assuming I wanted two drivers, I would but them into two separate cabinets and drive them with separate channels of my amp.
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-08-2006 at 07:14 AM.

I'm curious as to how hard, or easy, it is to put one of these sub kits together?

Seems like the way to go if your short on cash or you just know exactly what you want.

I don't need a detailed answer, just a simple reply will do for now.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    The Parts Express complete kits are real easy. Otherwise starting with a pre-built cabinet saves the bulk of the work. You need to have decent tools and capabilities make a cabinet from scratch. The cuts are long and the pieces pretty big, you have to get them right. Double-thick MDF can be hard to work with. I found the most difficult part is finishing. There is a lot of surface there.

jocko

Kits are so easy a monkey could do it. They're a bit intimidating at first, but the PE Tech Talk forum is full of very helpful people that are gracious with their time to even the most ignorant newbie. We all start somewhere.
    Be careful though, you'll find the kit too easy and want more. The hobby gets extremely addictive (and expensive)...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Kits are so easy a monkey could do it. They're a bit intimidating at first, but the PE Tech Talk forum is full of very helpful people that are gracious with their time to even the most ignorant newbie. We all start somewhere.
    Be careful though, you'll find the kit too easy and want more. The hobby gets extremely addictive (and expensive)...
    So price wise I'm looking at about, what, 300 or so for a pretty decent 15" sub?

Well, depends what you want, but yes, $300 would build a very nice sub.

I gety so tired of sanding and coating and more sanding & finishing. I built 4 speakers last year and I've had it for now.
    How is the finish on the kits?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

and we all know what happened.

So, how about answering questions you had?

Sorry guys, just taking a break froim studying. I swear I've been on this break forever...

JRA

Thread Information