Applying wood veneer for Dayton DIY Subs

Hi guys. I'm thinking about getting 2 Dayton 10" Titanic MkIIIs, but they are ugly as hell. I would like to get sheets of Wood Veneer and refinish them.
    I was wondering if anyone here could give me an advice on this matter.
    I plan to use them under my bookshelf speakers. I would have to prop my BS speakers about 5 degrees or so, but that's another topic.

Am I crazy for doing this?

Thanks.

JRA

Also, could someone please tell me how much the final product weights? Chances are I'll be relocating in 6 months. It is considerably smaller than my Paradigm PW2200, but the shipping package weighs as much as my PW2200. It is weighs around 40lbs then I'll probably go for it.

Thanks again.

Forum Regular
    All I can say is stay away from DIY paint...

I plan to re-do my subwoofer cabinets soon. The design is sound and the components are great, its the finish I cannot stand. No idea about veneer, but I would expect it to be difficult to get right. My next project will use plywood and MDF, in a design that can be largely glued. I'll stain the plywood, which is easy and looks great. I did just get a good tablesaw and a joiner. Finally, I can make more precise cuts and can cut down on the handwork.

jocko

Hey Jocko, thank you for your reply.

I've been thinking about it, and I dont think I can do it. Unless I can breakdown all the side panels of sub enclosure and clamp down veneer sheets for long time.

Just aint gonna happen.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Here's...

...a clue...you don't "clamp down veneer sheets for long time"...

Or even a short time, it's proper prep, contact cement and a rubber roller...

jimHJJ(...and you don't have to disassemble the cabinets to do it...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Thread Information