• 09-13-2004, 11:58 AM
    poneal
    Finished two out of five and
    I could not be happier. These speakers just amazed me with their clarity and imaging. I personally wrote Ed a thank you email for posting this design. My friend is bringing in his digital camera tomorrow so I will take some pictures of them and post them in the next few days. You know, I was expecting a small difference is sound quality but that was not the case. The difference was so noticeable that I just sat and listened to them for a couple of hours. It's like everything blends together so well. Nothing is louded or quieter than other parts of the music. The crossover just blends them together as a whole. I will be doing a writeup review on these when I get time (still gotta finish 3 more). Stay posted as the pictures will be forthcoming.
  • 09-13-2004, 01:08 PM
    kexodusc
    Congrats Paul...What speakers were you using before?
    Can't wait for the pics.
    I'm almost all unpacked and hopefully can find some time in the next week or two to get back at'em.
  • 09-13-2004, 01:12 PM
    poneal
    I had
    an entra two center channel, entra three mains, and bose 201s in the rear and a MKII 12 Titanic subwoofer.
  • 09-15-2004, 07:58 AM
    poneal
    Pics have arrived...
    Here are some pics of my AR.Com. They actually shine much better than the photo shows but I guess the sun and angle were not right. I can actually see myself in them and inside they look spectacular. Notice that you can see the peerless tweeter from the rear port hole which I thought was kinda cool. Well, three are done and by the weekend I should have the other two finished. They sound great. Paul
  • 09-15-2004, 09:01 AM
    kexodusc
    helluva job, Paul...especially the grills...I haven't figured out how I'm gonna do the grills on mine.
  • 09-15-2004, 09:19 AM
    poneal
    Thanks, I'm going to take some more pictures inside this time and see if they come out better. The screws are actually brass which bring a look of elegance to the black.
  • 09-15-2004, 09:29 AM
    kexodusc
    Unpacking is taking alot longer than I hoped it would. I start my new job on Monday too, but I'm hopeful I'll get around to finishing mine up before October...at least starting up again.

Eventually I'm gonna do a head to head with the PeeCreek or U-Pee (depending which tweeter I decide to use) and my $800 Paradigm Studio 20's with some of my relatives, similar to Ed's comparison to the GR Research modified Ar.com. I'm hoping the results encourage people here to look into DIY more.

Whatcha using to polish those pretty things? Meguiar's? Mother's? Carnuba wax or synthetic?
  • 09-15-2004, 11:59 AM
    poneal
    Used a lacquer finish then a lot of sanding. Then used fine cut compound to get the 1500 grit scratches out. Then used finish restorer for polishing. It said to wait a month before applying wax to give the enamel and such time to cure. Not sure on waxes, but I'll probably go to the auto parts house and look up one of those you mentioned. The wax will probably make them look more mirror like and have a tougher protective coating. The only problem I have found so far is that you can see the dust settling on top of them very easily. The mirror finish seems to say "look I have dust on me".

I just got the MDF cut for my stereo sub cabinets (my next project). I have two 8" Peerless CC subwoofers ready to go. I decided on a ported cabinet of 4 cubic feet with 2 2x6 inch ports for a tuning of around 25hz. The fs is 25 on them so I will not hear anything below that anyway. These will double as my stands for the front AR.Coms. The overall height including feet, sub, and monitor comes out to 36". The tweeter around 33" which is at ear level while seated. I think the wife is gonna ***** at me for the hugh sub cabinets though :-). This project will go much quicker since I only have to cut a few holes and its only two cabinets. Of course there is more space to deal with on painting. I'm going to make them the same color and finish.

Well, gotta get back to work and quit messing around here. New jobs are usually stressfull in nature till you get your feet on the ground so take it easy and just take whatever comes come. Thanks, Paul.