Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular
    I've had mixed results.

When i changed the power cord on an old portable cassette/radio to a Russ Andrews Yello, the difference was absolutely noticeable, no question about it.

But on my main system, where i have Russ Andrews hi-current Powercords throughout, i'm really not so sure they make the biggest difference in the world, maybe because the equipment is of a much higher quality to begin with and therefore less susceptible to differences in mains leads.

However! I've been advised that all of these leads WILL come into their own as and when i have a seaparate spur installed from the fusebox specifically for the hi-fi, installed with decent woven, shielded mains cable. So if the electrician who's visiting next week tells me it will be possible to do at reasonable cost, i'll let you know if this theory holds true once the work is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB

When i changed the power cord on an old portable cassette/radio to a Russ Andrews Yello, the difference was absolutely noticeable, no question about it.
    Quite likely that the connectors on the 'as issued' lead had oxidised and were not conducting as well as they should or possibly even periodically arcing.

But on my main system, where i have Russ Andrews hi-current Powercords throughout, i'm really not so sure they make the biggest difference in the world, maybe because the equipment is of a much higher quality to begin with and therefore less susceptible to differences in mains leads.
    Correct, in fact I bet you can't really hear any difference at all, can you.

However! I've been advised that all of these leads WILL come into their own as and when i have a seaparate spur installed from the fusebox specifically for the hi-fi, installed with decent woven, shielded mains cable. So if the electrician who's visiting next week tells me it will be possible to do at reasonable cost, i'll let you know if this theory holds true once the work is complete!
    For christ's sake don't get caught on that one. (see my previous posts) People spend a fortune on things like this. Once it has been done you can't directly compare it with as it was before and you will then have mental torture trying to convince yourself the sound has improved and that the expense was worthwhile. It wont make a scrap of difference!!!!

Either save the money or if it is burning a hole in your pocket go to your music store and buy a load more records and CDs, or take your wife, girlfriend, secretary, somebody else's wife away for a slap up dirty weekend. Much more fun!

Forum Regular
    Chas you might be right, but when the UK's Mark Levinson official engineer lists this as basically his number one upgrade, i for one will give him the benefit of the doubt!! Sure, if it's going to cost £500 or more then forget it, but if it's say £100 plus the cable to do, well what the hell - it can't be any worse, assuming the electrician knows what he's doing!!

Chas you might be right, but when the UK's Mark Levinson official engineer lists this as basically his number one upgrade, i for one will give him the benefit of the doubt!! Sure, if it's going to cost £500 or more then forget it, but if it's say £100 plus the cable to do, well what the hell - it can't be any worse, assuming the electrician knows what he's doing!!
    Terry, I am very suprised that the UK's Mark Levinson "official engineer"??? lists this as basically his number one upgrade because Mark Levinson himself will be fitting high quality power supplies that will allow his equipment to function correctly what ever the state of the mains supply. That's what you pay the money for!

Terry, If you already have Levinson kit it's like buying an Bentley Continental GT then thinking you can buy bits from Halfords to make it better.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb

Chas i'd suggest your analogy is *precisely* what i'm doing now - ie using a Bentley Continental on low grade fuel, when the premium option is sitting in the pump ready to be used!! Why assume that the standard mains ring, with all the other plugged-in bits and pieces, is adequate for a high performance audio system? To me it's a no-lose option. From what Mark was saying, it's like having the sort of power input that we're all used to late at night, at ALL times of the day. The reason Levinson provide nonsense power cords is that they realise that the vast majority of users will want to use their own mains leads, and that including one of comparable quality would just add another several hundred pounds unnecessarily. Let me know if you'd like Mark's number to discuss it further. Alternatively, Heatherdale Audio, the UK Levinson main agent, will echo his sentiments. Mains quality is a very subjective thing, obviously, especially as it's something you can't "see", but i certainly don't think it should be overlooked as a given, unalterable, non-improvable element of any system.

Tel

Chas i'd suggest your analogy is *precisely* what i'm doing now - ie using a Bentley Continental on low grade fuel, when the premium option is sitting in the pump ready to be used!!
    That argument isn't technically correct Terry, the higher grade fuel would have higher calorific value than the low grade fuel and would therefore yeild greater power per given volume than the low grade fuel.

What we are talking about here is 240VAC 50Hz plus a little RF noise and the odd spike. That is a constant and a good power supply would sort it out, no problem.

What people are suggesting to you is that you will improve the calorific value of the fuel and hence the performance of your Bentley by the petrol station upgrading their petrol pump.

Also when people try to tell you that these oversized and overpriced power leads make improvements it is effectively telling you that if the petrol pump has an oversized hose and you can fill your tank up quicker, said Bentley will go faster!!!! That's the real reason why Levinson only supply normal power leads.

But it's your money mate.

Forum Regular
    Although i'm no expert, i think the extent of what they're suggesting is that you'll maximise the potential of the mains supply, not actually gain something that isn't already there, rather than rely on the building regulations quality stuff they build houses with. Associated with a lack of interference from other electrical items, it adds up to a better, more consistent supply. But sure, if i spend the cash and think "what's all that about then" i'll be straight back on the phone telling him what a waste of money it's been!! We shall see...

MCH
    Forum Regular
    Quote:
    My theory on power cord is pretty much this, you dont see recording studio changing the cords on the gear they have. and like I always say no matter what you play something through it cant get better than what it was recorded on

Bravo. Common sense makes my music sound good. Of all the components in the music chain, I put most of the emphasis (money) on speakers.

Terry, Why dont you start by just compring the 'as issued' Levinson lead with the 'aftermarket' lead. If you can really hear a difference, then fine. If you can't, that should arouse your suspicion.

Next try just running the stereo and switching everything else in the house off and see if that really makes any difference. If it does, I would be straight on to the Levinson factory asking them why they had charged me so much for a piece of kit with a crap power supply.

After that do phone the Levinson factory (not their UK witchdoctor) and ask them why they have provided such a cheap and nasty power lead with their high quality equipment. I wouldn't mind betting they tell you that their lead is all that is required.

Also remember that once you have bought and installed your new wiring system, you won't be able to remove it and get a full refund for both the cable and the labour will you.

All the best

Forum Regular
    Yeas i hear what you're saying, but what THEY are saying is that you're still then limited by what the existing, "adequate" grade domestic mains ring can deliver, so even giving it the best possible chance as you've described above, still won't produce any noticeable difference. They argue that if the mains ring itself is upgraded, then improvements in the mains cabling from the socket onwards will be worthwhile. And i won't prove that until i try it!!

Terry, who is THEY?? I can't believe it is the Levinson factory.

I've had mixed results.

Hi Terry,

I read your post with interest. Just take this on board, if you run a separete spur for your rig then you need to have the cable of the quality of your power cords. Otherwise why do it?
    I use the new Kimber PK range (the green ones can't remember the number) and have installed an Isotek Titan which worked out cheaper than a run with Kimber cable and I am sure does make more of a difference.
    Just my 0.02ct worth.

Peace

Bernd

I rather have my mind opened to wonder than closed by belief

What's playing: Eric Clapton-Unplugged

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    I rather have my mind opened to wonder than closed by belief.
    I'm more than happy to have my mind opened to wonder but I require irrefutable concrete evedence before I'll open my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Underhay
    I'm more than happy to have my mind opened to wonder but I require irrefutable concrete evedence before I'll open my wallet.
    Well said. My last upgrades were only bought after a pair of tests with some fantastic instruments-My ears!!

Peace

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Well said. My last upgrades were only bought after a pair of tests with some fantastic instruments-My ears!!

Peace

Bernd
    I've made upgrades using very similar test equipment but that has been things like quality MC cartridges rather than jumped up kettle leads.

All the best

Chas

Don't waste your money. Are you going to change all the wiring in your house and the miles of cabling from your house to the power plant?

The Collector
    SoundGuyDave is right. You cant improve on the signal coming in from the street its impossible. MCH I am glad you like my theory. I have built and also worked in many major studios and the only power cord I changed was the 14/3 IEC cable going into the supply on an SSL 4000G+ only because it wasnt long enough.

The whole power cord idea is certainly hard to believe. All that wire from the substation to your house, from your breaker to your outlet, suddenly that last 5 feet is the path to Nirvana?

Now having said that, I felt the same way about exotic cables, I heard no difference at least right up to the point where I was able to afford a much more exotic system. Now I hear all kinds of differences in the various cables. I have spent real money (drat, damn, can't be) because unfortunately the more expensive interconnects and speaker cables sounded better.

I am afriad to try exotic power cords, too close to magic or too big an impact on the wallet if they work (ignorance is bliss in this case).

My point is that these things must be done in balance, if you have the financial resources to purchase $20,000 electronics boxes or speakers then you will find exotic cables are pretty near manadatory to realize the full capabilities of these devices. On the other hand if you're a mere mortal with a $500 receiver it makes no sense to buy $800 worth of wire, the wire is not your weakest link.

Putting Pirrelli tires on a Volkswagon Van will not make it a race car, putting Grand Auto 4 for $200 tires on your Ferrari will probably kill you on the first mountain turn. Balance is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Underhay
    I've made upgrades using very similar test equipment but that has been things like quality MC cartridges rather than jumped up kettle leads.

All the best

Chas
    Hi Chas,

Good to know you use the same test equipment.I will say that adding the Isotek Titan into my sysyem made a difference.I don't go for Snake oil at all but if something works it works.

All the best to you too

Bernd

Forum Regular
    Chas - "they" are Heatherdale, Levinson's engineer and (unsurprisingly) Russ Andrews.

Bernd - yes, there's no point running a separate spur unless it's via a decent mains cable. I won't skimp in that respect, don't worry!

SoundGuyDave - the point is this. What i have coming into my house is apparently MORE than adequate to nuclear blast a stereo system, but once it's transported around the house via various switches, fuseboxes etc via inferior quality wire, it has lost that potential. Runnning a separate spur is supposed to overcome these drains. But like i say (again), i'm not here to sell the idea, i have no idea if it will work or not, but the calibre of the people who have told me it will (and they're NOT witchdoctors, lol), is enough to convince me to take the chance. That's what this hobby is all about after all - messing about and trying new things. I don't really want to reach the stage where i don't have the enthusiasm to get involved like this!!

Chas - "they" are Heatherdale, Levinson's engineer and (unsurprisingly) Russ Andrews.
    Terry, I suggest that before you do go ahead, you phone the Levinson factory and see what they recommend. If their kit is as good as it is supposed to be, it would work perfectly well when connected to the dirtiest, filthiest mains supply imaginable. That what good power supplies do.

all the best

Chas

Forum Regular
    As i've said several times now, this comes from the bloke who does all the repairs and servicing to Levinson products in the UK. He *knows* what he's doing, and he has nothing to gain personally from advocating this, in fact only putting his reputation at risk. We've established that you're sceptical - fine. Let's just leave it there and i'll tell you *first-hand* in a few months whether it was a waste of time or not, and believe me, if it is, i'll say so.

Tel

As i've said several times now, this comes from the bloke who does all the repairs and servicing to Levinson products in the UK. He *knows* what he's doing, and he has nothing to gain personally from advocating this, in fact only putting his reputation at risk. We've established that you're sceptical - fine. Let's just leave it there and i'll tell you *first-hand* in a few months whether it was a waste of time or not, and believe me, if it is, i'll say so.

Tel
    Good on you Terry,
    Looking forward for an update.
    Good Luck

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    I am afriad to try exotic power cords, too close to magic or too big an impact on the wallet if they work (ignorance is bliss in this case).
    Whatever you do, DO NOT audition Kimber Palladians or Harmonic Technology Magics in your system. You'll be sorry!

rw

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information