Newbie speaker question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie speaker question

syberman
02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys and Gals, I was just wondering are Aperion speakers any good? I saw that C-Net gave it a 9 out of 10. That's a great rating. Does anyone have these speakers. Thanks for any feedback.

Syberman

Worf101
02-20-2005, 08:19 AM
1. Search the review section of this website for the make and model of speaker you're interested in...

2. Tell us more information like, room size, speaker use (Home Theatre of 2 Channel Music), budget etc...

3. Don't put much stock in what Cnet (primarily a bunch of puter heads) say about speakers since they don't tell much about their testing methods, at least they didn't years ago.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster :cool:

nightflier
02-22-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a pair of Aperion 522-D speakers and they are impressive for movies. For music, I'd look elsewhere.

The 522-D was their flagship speaker that they started with in the late 90's and I wanted to support the 'new' company. They have other speakers, but most of these use the same drivers. The finish, the service, and the price is something a lot of people always rave about, but I do think that there are comparable values out there.

They tend to be forward and bright, some would even say harsh, and I can see (ahem, hear) that. They do not have the bass extension that a speaker of that price should have. I have compared them to similar priced speakers from Klipsh, Axiom, Athena, Polk, Onyx, NHT, & Infinity, and I am still waiting on a pair of Ascend Acoustics and a pair of PSB's to arrive.

On the plus side, they are not bad speakers. I used to use them as a my reference speakers although my Klipsch's have taken over that role. I used to like the bright sound, but I am now looking for more neutral speakers that will disappear so that I can focus on other things. IMO, they work well for movies because of their clarity and speed. They can go very loud, too. While they should really be mated with a sub, the combination is hard to get right.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a speaker. If you can tell us what you'll be using the speakers for, what equipment you alrady have and what kind of room they will be in, I'm sure others will have much more to say.