I highly recommend Sylvan - Artificial Paradise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I highly recommend Sylvan - Artificial Paradise

Mr Peabody
02-19-2005, 04:06 PM
This was my first album by this group and I really don't know much about them. Artificial Paradise is their third album and the one that appealed to me the most from the sound bytes. I am not disappointed. This is a very good album. Although they are considered Prog the songs on the most part have a commercial or polished sound. I don't say this as a negative, the songs have power and emotion. Some of the songs are 8 to 9 minutes but I was so drawn in they seem to go by twice as fast. The songs had a nice flow to them not many radical transitions in one song. They seem to build on a musical thought or carry it out to it's completion without doing musical 180's. The vocals are very good, the singer reminded me at times of the singer for Queensryche. I did notice a few familiar Prog riffs or cliche's but not enough to give me a negative empression of the song that had it. This album is on the Prog Rock Records label. I can't think of anyone to compare Sylvan to. This is a very good album in general but excels in melodic and passionate passages. I never heard this term used in Prog Rock but some of the songs you could almost call "power ballads".

It's a shame that music this good doesn't get more exposure. Does anyone else here have any Sylvan? I would be interested to hear how this album struck others or receive any other information about Sylvan.

richmon
02-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Not familiar with them but will keep an ear out ..thanks for the tip.

They're playing at this years Rosfest along with Arena, Tangent and Mostly Autumn, I'm considering going (www.rosfest.com). If I can't get tix to Nearfest (competitive), this fest isn't a shabby second choice.

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I don't own any Sylvan CDs, but I seem to recall a few tracks from Demetrio's comps that had me highly intrigued at the time.

I'll have to dig up those comps and give them another listen. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Dave_G
02-20-2005, 05:59 AM
They have a new album out now too, I believe.

I have this one you mention, need to give it more listens, never really listened to it closely.

Ya, Demetrio used to rave about this.

Wonder where in the hell he is?

Dave