How to have fun indoors on a rainy Saturday (family friendly) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to have fun indoors on a rainy Saturday (family friendly)

Davey
02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Hehehe, got in a good run this morning before the rain dogs came around. So now just kicking it and having a beer and listening to some tunes, especially that brilliant one up there on the left that I'm in love with right now. Wayne Robbins and he Hellsayers. The Lonesome Sea. Really, might be some of the best Neil Young since the 70s, if it was Neil Young. Doesn't do these guys justice to make the comparson though, no matter how apt it is. Many, many have tried before Wayne Robbins to capture that After the Gold Rush magic, and many, many have failed, including Neil himself (mostly). This one comes pretty close, with some Gram Parsons tossed in the blender too. And the occasional guitar maelstorm only makes it more endearing for me. Along with some of the charm of the Decemberists or the Kinks or your favorite indie rocker. If I'd heard it last year, it might've topped my year-end list. The six minutes of "Jesus" just leaves me grinning every time. For the whole song. And the opener "Time Is a Bird in Your Eyes" is very cool, as is the following "Sarah's Lament" that almost breaks into "Helpless" territory. And a few others ... coming to a comp near you soon :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/now_playing.jpg

EC Freight Train
02-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Hehehe, got in a good run this morning before the rain dogs came around. So now just kicking it and having a beer and listening to some tunes, especially that brilliant one up there on the left that I'm in love with right now. Wayne Robbins and he Hellsayers. The Lonesome Sea. Really, might be some of the best Neil Young since the 70s, if it was Neil Young. Doesn't do these guys justice to make the comparson though, no matter how apt it is. Many, many have tried before Wayne Robbins to capture that After the Gold Rush magic, and many, many have failed, including Neil himself (mostly). This one comes pretty close, with some Gram Parsons tossed in the blender too. And the occasional guitar maelstorm only makes it more endearing for me. Along with some of the charm of the Decemberists or the Kinks or your favorite indie rocker. If I'd heard it last year, it might've topped my year-end list. The six minutes of "Jesus" just leaves me grinning every time. For the whole song. And the opener "Time Is a Bird in Your Eyes" is very cool, as is the following "Sarah's Lament" that almost breaks into "Helpless" territory. And a few others ... coming to a comp near you soon :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/now_playing.jpg

I will put the Lonesome Sea on my want list.
the samual Adams looks tasty but I can't drink beer.The doctor says my bile ducts are clogged and I may have to have surgery to correct that.Hence no booze.Too hard on my liver.

I was wondering why you don't seem to enjoy running in the rain??
I see many skeletal runners with seemingly idiotic grins on there faces while running in the rain.It's fun to see how close I can come without hitting them.The nice thing is they leave very small dents because of there size.
I wish I could run but weighing in at 400 pounds it isn't for me.
I tried mountain biking but kept breaking frames.
May god bless you
EC Freight Train

Davey
02-19-2005, 05:31 PM
May god bless you
EC Freight Train
Surprised your key still works over here. Guess they need to change the locks :)

Ya know we all still love you....or I think at least Finchy does. But he's kind of easy.

Slosh
02-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I intended to buy that album yesterday but I forgot who I was looking for. How the hell can I forget a name like the Hellsayers? :confused:

Okay Davey, it's now official: go out and buy The Mysterious Production Of Eggs if you haven't yet already. It's as good as anything he's ever done. In fact it may be the best thing he's ever done. It's easily the best album of 2005 that I own. Well alright, it's the only 2005 release I currently own. :D

I've got that Andrew Bird CD, Jesse Sykes And The Sweet Hereafter - Oh, My Girl, and Arcade Fire - Funeral loaded up in the changer right now and in random play mode and they're making for a fine evening of musical bliss. All of them are well-recorded too (Finchy couldn't be more wrong about the Arcade Fire's sonics. Perhaps he ought to take off his helmet first :) ) Of course some cold St. Pauli Girl doesn't hurt either ;)

Swish
02-19-2005, 06:31 PM
you POS! I hope I'm not disappointed or I'm going to send you a bill for $12.00. Say, who the heck is that EC Trainwreck fella. Should I know who it is? If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's...oh, nevermind. I can't imagine it's him. No way.

I was just at my favorite local restaurant and had some fantastic beer by the Troegs brewery called...well, here's the info from their website:

Feb. 2005 - Cask Conditioned, 1/2 and 1/6 kegs Only

Nugget Nectar Ale™ Squeeze those hops for all they’re worth and prepare to pucker up: Tröegs’ newest single batch brew, Nugget Nectar Ale, will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops. Starting with the same base ingredients of our flagship HopBack Amber Ale, Nugget Nectar intensifies the malt and hop flavors to create an explosive hop experience.

What a fine beer! I was a perfect match with my Osso Bucco. It was heaven on earth my friends. Now it's back home and some toonage to top off the night. Not sure what I'll play, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. How about that Corina Round record? Nah, maybe that EP from My Morning Jacket? Yep, that's what I'm a gonna play.

Swish :D

Davey
02-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I hope I'm not disappointed or I'm going to send you a bill for $12.00.
Me? But it's not my CD! I'm just a lonely street teamer. Send the bill back to those noxious Hellslayer boys! They're the source of the problem, not me. But if you don't love it as much as that heady glass of Nugget Nectar Ale, it'll just go to show that your musical taste is less developed than mine. Of course, even that yummy sounding Nugget Nectar Ale probably goes stanky if left to develop for too long :)

Swish
02-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Me? But it's not my CD! I'm just a lonely street teamer. Send the bill back to those noxious Hellslayer boys! They're the source of the problem, not me. But if you don't love it as much as that heady glass of Nugget Nectar Ale, it'll just go to show that your musical taste is less developed than mine. Of course, even that yummy sounding Nugget Nectar Ale probably goes stanky if left to develop for too long :)

I'm still going to hold you responsible if I don't like it, although from the descriptions provided, it looks like a sure thing. ;) That PayPal option sure made the purchase easy. A couple clicks and I was done since my mailing addy and Visa info is already in the system. That was even easier than ordering from deepdiscountcd, something I've been doing a lot lately since their selection has greatly improved, they're getting the new releases a lot sooner, and they still have free shipping, albeit fairly sssssllllllooooooowwwwww.

Say, do you have that new EP "Sleep and Wake Up Songs" from Okkervil River ? I ordered it after hearing a track on Little Radio, that new and wonderful internet station I've been listening to whenever I'm not traveling (they're playing "You're Not an Astronaut" by Pond right now). I know you raved about one of their ceedees last year but I never did buy it. I think I ordered it from ddcd but something happened and I never did get the thing.

One last thing; that Nugget Nectar was the first "real" beer I've had in weeks, thanks to my low-carb diet, and it was worth it! It's one of the best beers I've tasted in many moons, right up there with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I drank four of them and was fairly lit, so it's strong as well as tasty. One night of good beer can't be all that bad, but it's back on the plan today.

Swish Baby

Dave_G
02-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Well it's raining here in Atlanta too today so I may not get to ride the bicycle but if I don't then I will do other things.

I have some beers getting cold - Tuborg, Michelob, and Molson Canadian.

I made a 2 into 1 cdr for my friend yesterday, Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes - Tooth Fang & Claw/ Call of the Wild.

Somehow I found these on cd several years back, on Rhino Discreet records.

Right now sipping coffee and playing Galahad's tremendous release "Sleepers". Proggers here would love this album. BarryL is getting a copy soon from me. Galahad simply rool. It's pseudo soft neo prog a la old school Genesis but more accessable.

Dave

EC Freight Train
02-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Surprised your key still works over here. Guess they need to change the locks :)

Ya know we all still love you....or I think at least Finchy does. But he's kind of easy.
Keys?Locks???
Would you be so kind to further explain yourself???

I would think with the same 7 or 8 people that post here you would like a newcomer. But you don't seem very friendly. Are you the official welcoming committee?? You could use some work on your etiquette.

And why don't you like running in the rain???
I have heard it is quite refreshing to run in the rain. I go for walks in the rain but have to be carefull not to fall down because with my girth I have a hard time getting up. One time I fell and crushed a Pekenese dog to death. I was so emberassed. And the little girl that owned it cried for days. It kind of looked like a hairy pancake when they finally got me off from it.
May god bless you Dave.
EC Freight Train

Davey
02-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Keys?Locks???
Would you be so kind to further explain yourself???
Just move on. What's so hard to understand about that? I don't care if they let you post here again or not, but just stay away from my threads.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=rock&n=44400

EC Freight Train
02-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Just move on. What's so hard to understand about that? I don't care if they let you post here again or not, but just stay away from my threads.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=rock&n=44400

Is that why you don't like me??? I don't sweat much for a fat guy.

As far as staying away from your threads,I think not. I shall post to whatever thread I desire.

You should apologize for your rude behavior.

And you still haven't answered why you seem to be afraid of running in the rain. Please tell us why. It must rain a lot on the weekends where you live. Everytime the weekend rolls around you start a thread about just beating the rain and getting your run in. I'm beggining to think you run about as much as I do.None.

May god bless you Dave.
You may apologize at any time.
EC Freight Train

chrisnz
02-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Google rocks.

In response to a lengthy item that ran here a couple of issues back -- a funny satire of my column by one of the distaff members of the Hash House Harrier called "Whining with Tim Hindenson," Bryan Elenbaas of Cadillac chines in with some funny writing of his own. He says -- well let's let him tell it.
"What a delightfully hateful column. Enclosed are some hateful thoughts of my own."

Skinny runners -- I really hate these people. If I'm lucky on a good day, I can get my weight down to 160. Anyone weighing less than this should be forced to carry lead weights to bring their weight up to 160!

Fat runners -- I hate these people even more. You're embarrassing our sport! Take up rollerblading or beach volleyball. My God, quit eating so much.

Fast runners -- I hate losing. Anyone that can run faster than me should stay home.

Slow runners -- see fat runners.

Triathlons -- The men shave their legs. Need I say more?

Cross training -- This should be called 'How to run slow races.' I especially hate losing to someone who brags about how cross training has made them faster. Think how fast you could run if you didn't waste your time cross-training, moron!

Age-group medals -- I don't win these things anymore, so of course I really hate the people who do.

Streak runners -- How about a personality transplant so you can get a real life?

Tom Henderson -- You beat me at the Peace Run in 1990, so I hate you, too!

Boston -- Yes, indeed! I even hate the Boston Marathon. I have never met a larger group of self-absorbed, self-centered pinheads in my life. Do these people actually have families and real lives?"

You can tell Bryan is an insightful, highly intelligent human being -- a saint, really -- because he closes by saying: "Tom, on a more serious note -- keep up the good work. Your column is always interesting and you tell it like it is."

http://www.cadillacnews.com/articles/2004/10/04/news/news06.txt

EC Freight Train
02-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Google rocks.

In response to a lengthy item that ran here a couple of issues back -- a funny satire of my column by one of the distaff members of the Hash House Harrier called "Whining with Tim Hindenson," Bryan Elenbaas of Cadillac chines in with some funny writing of his own. He says -- well let's let him tell it.
"What a delightfully hateful column. Enclosed are some hateful thoughts of my own."

Skinny runners -- I really hate these people. If I'm lucky on a good day, I can get my weight down to 160. Anyone weighing less than this should be forced to carry lead weights to bring their weight up to 160!

Fat runners -- I hate these people even more. You're embarrassing our sport! Take up rollerblading or beach volleyball. My God, quit eating so much.

Fast runners -- I hate losing. Anyone that can run faster than me should stay home.

Slow runners -- see fat runners.

Triathlons -- The men shave their legs. Need I say more?

Cross training -- This should be called 'How to run slow races.' I especially hate losing to someone who brags about how cross training has made them faster. Think how fast you could run if you didn't waste your time cross-training, moron!

Age-group medals -- I don't win these things anymore, so of course I really hate the people who do.

Streak runners -- How about a personality transplant so you can get a real life?

Tom Henderson -- You beat me at the Peace Run in 1990, so I hate you, too!

Boston -- Yes, indeed! I even hate the Boston Marathon. I have never met a larger group of self-absorbed, self-centered pinheads in my life. Do these people actually have families and real lives?"

You can tell Bryan is an insightful, highly intelligent human being -- a saint, really -- because he closes by saying: "Tom, on a more serious note -- keep up the good work. Your column is always interesting and you tell it like it is."

http://www.cadillacnews.com/articles/2004/10/04/news/news06.txt

What does this Bryan fellow have to do with me?
You seem to have gone off on a tangent that I am not following.
EC Freight Train

chrisnz
02-20-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm sure Cadillac's waist deep in Bryan Elenbaas' yechie.

Hell you should be boasting man. From the short bus to this pinnacle of prestige and responsibility... yer ma must have been very proud... when she was sober enough to focus.

Every day is an adventure.