Home Theater wiring/speaker cable. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater wiring/speaker cable.

Renlan
02-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi, I just bought an Onkyo HTS-570 600 watt Home Theater system and I love it. But a lot of product reviews I read said to replace the speaker wire that came with the system. The system came with (what I think is) 16 guage wire that is color coded and seems to work fine. So my questions are these.

1) Will thicker or better cable sound any better on this basic system? (I'm not interested in buying "Monster Cable") But just some basic better speaker cable.

2) When I get the final set up for my speakers right, should I cut the lenght of the wire to get rid of several feet of slack?

I'm skeptical because I have read so many reviews and opinions, most seem to be for serious users with high end equipment. I wonder how they will effect a middle of the road system. (This system is by far the best in it's price range by the way)

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Pat D
02-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi, I just bought an Onkyo HTS-570 600 watt Home Theater system and I love it. But a lot of product reviews I read said to replace the speaker wire that came with the system. The system came with (what I think is) 16 guage wire that is color coded and seems to work fine. So my questions are these.

1) Will thicker or better cable sound any better on this basic system? (I'm not interested in buying "Monster Cable") But just some basic better speaker cable.

2) When I get the final set up for my speakers right, should I cut the lenght of the wire to get rid of several feet of slack?

I'm skeptical because I have read so many reviews and opinions, most seem to be for serious users with high end equipment. I wonder how they will effect a middle of the road system. (This system is by far the best in it's price range by the way)

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Not interested in Monster or other high end cables? Well, that shows good sense.:)

The following article contains a table for the minimum gauge of speaker cables for different lengths and speaker impedances.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

musicoverall
02-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm skeptical because I have read so many reviews and opinions, most seem to be for serious users with high end equipment. I wonder how they will effect a middle of the road system. (This system is by far the best in it's price range by the way).

I've never owned that system so I don't know if better cables will improve it - and neither will you until you try some! The folks at Onkyo seem to think you should, correct? I own what many would describe as a "mid-fi" system in my basement and it benefitted from higher definition cables. Just don't go overboard!

If you're interested, find a dealer that sells Audioquest, Kimber or Tara Labs as all three companies make "low-brow" aftermarket cables that aren't very expensive. If this dealer will *lend* you some cables to try, check 'em out and listen. If they don't improve your system, you've lost nothing but a little time. I've never heard a Monster product that I liked so I've always stayed away from them but you can try those as well if you can return them for a full refund. And don't expect a huge improvement as the benefits of cables are subtle.

Renlan
02-19-2005, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=musicoverall]I've never owned that system so I don't know if better cables will improve it - and neither will you until you try some! The folks at Onkyo seem to think you should, correct?

Nothing from Onkyo about getting better cables. But owners reviews frequently say they did and it made a difference. Im gonna get some thicker cable when I put the system in my new/bigger living room. I will feel better about it if nothing else>

Renlan
02-19-2005, 09:22 PM
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks, thats a great info page, at least it confirms what I already thought about Monster Cables. Its all hype and BS.

musicoverall
02-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Nothing from Onkyo about getting better cables. >[/QUOTE]

Right! Sorry, I misread. That's twice that happened to me yesterday on this forum or at least one misread and one accusation of it from another poster on another post! Perhaps I had more of that Highland Park single malt scotch yesterday than I thought.... :D

My point was that you can read reviews and comments about why you should or shouldn't try different cables or other components all day long but they are all meaningless. Once you try it for yourself, you'll find the truth. Either they make a difference or they don't to you and your system. Nothing anyone else says or writes should sway you, unless it's to persuade you to try something or not. After all, none of them are listening with your ears through your gear and in your room.