HT With High End Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT With High End Speakers

MusicLG
02-19-2005, 06:01 AM
I'd like to couple a Yamaha RX-V 2500 130 watt/channel HT Receiver with high end speakers (JMLab Electra 926s 3.6-ohm). Will I be diminishing the capablilites of the speakers to a significant degree? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
MusicLG

markw
02-19-2005, 06:23 AM
If you've got 'em now and want to live with what you have, pray your receiver can handle those low impedance speakers without problems.

But, to go out and buy 'em specificaly for the purpose of HT, it's your choice.

In either case, I'd be on the lookout for a better amp section, though

drseid
02-19-2005, 06:52 AM
I agree with Markw... I would avoid using a receiver with those low impedance speakers... unless you get a separate power amp to drive them (essentially using the receiver as a pre/pro).

---Dave

Stu-r
02-19-2005, 07:16 AM
I'd like to couple a Yamaha RX-V 2500 130 watt/channel HT Receiver with high end speakers (JMLab Electra 926s 3.6-ohm). Will I be diminishing the capablilites of the speakers to a significant degree? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
MusicLG

I'd have no problem with that receiver driving *anything*. The spec for it is 340 watts/channel at 2 ohms, 270 wattts at 4 ohms. What can any other brand offer (other than being hand-made by elves under divine light)?

paul_pci
02-19-2005, 11:56 AM
One suggestion that is often floated around, but not on this thread yet, is to see if you can audtion your speaker of choice at home using your Yamaha receiver and judge for yourself if it can handle the typical load you would put it through. I definitely understand your concern. I love Dynaudio speakers, for instance, but also wonder if my Yamaha rx-v 3300 could do an adequate job of driving them. I get different opinions on this, but I'd rather wait until I'm in a financial position to match them to the correct equipment.

MusicLG
02-19-2005, 04:43 PM
...here's my situation: I received the receiver as a gift. Still in the box but too late to return. I set about auditioning speakers and listened to everything...then fell in love with the JMLab Electras. I didn't buy them yet, but would like to. I know the best set up is a preamp/amp, but already have the receiver. Am I crazy to get those speakers? The guy at the high end audio shop would prefer to see an amp, but thinks it should be ok, for now, and feels I'll want to upgrade in the future. If I need to, can I just add a preamp? Thanks everyone...

paul_pci
02-19-2005, 04:53 PM
...here's my situation: I received the receiver as a gift. Still in the box but too late to return. I set about auditioning speakers and listened to everything...then fell in love with the JMLab Electras. I didn't buy them yet, but would like to. I know the best set up is a preamp/amp, but already have the receiver. Am I crazy to get those speakers? The guy at the high end audio shop would prefer to see an amp, but thinks it should be ok, for now, and feels I'll want to upgrade in the future. If I need to, can I just add a preamp? Thanks everyone...

You mean: add an amp. The receiver would be your preamp; just use its preouts to add an amp or two or three. But again, find out the terms upon which you can borrow, audition or return the speakers if the receiver isn't up to driving these speakers.

Stu-r
02-19-2005, 05:21 PM

You can add a different pre-amp later and use your receiver as a power amp. There are many other variables that affect a system's performance to a greater degree. If you like the JMs, try them. If you're dealing with a reputable dealer, he'll let you try-before-buy. If he won't let you take the speakers home to try, take the receiver to the store. You should be able to do that with no problem. If both of those options pose a problem for the dealer, I'd find another vendor.

topspeed
02-20-2005, 12:08 AM
You can add a different pre-amp later and use your receiver as a power amp.
Is this even possible and more importantly, why in the world would you want to use the Yammie's likely underpowered amps and switch in a new pre/pro? The Yammie's pre-amp section isn't the concern, it's whether the powersupply can handle the JML's 3.6 ohm minimum load. The speakers are 8 ohm nominal so the question really becomes how frequent and how dramatic are the dips? Whether or not the Yammie will handle it will depend a lot on how hard you'll drive it and if you plan on hooking up an entire set of Electras. My guess is that if you do run a full set, at the minimum you're not going to be getting the JML's full measure and at the worst you could possibly overheat or clip your amp (potentially damaging your speakers as well). I would absolutely be considering either an outboard amp in the very near future or audiogon the Yammie and use the proceeds towards a proper pre/pro and multichannel amp set-up.

BTW, I wouldn't put too much stock in the Yammie's ratings into 2 and 4 ohm loads. I sincerely doubt those measurements were taken with all channels driven. Soundstage! has proven time and again that once you drive all channels, manufacturer's ratings tend to be pretty optomistic.

drseid
02-20-2005, 04:47 AM
I definitely recommend you take Topspeed's excellent advice... I certainly understand your desire to go with the Electras, but doing so without adding an outbound power amp is highly sub-optimal at best, and dangerous at worst.

If the Electras sound *that* much better to your ears than all other competitors your receiver *could* drive by itself in your price range, then you owe it to them (and yourself) to buy an outbound amp to drive them properly, IMO.

Why not buy a used amp that drives <4 ohm loads well on Audiogon.com? You can get an amp that will handily get the job done for $400-$500 there I am sure...

Good luck,

---Dave

MusicLG
02-20-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your advice. Before I look for an amp, I just want to clarrify that I will be running 2 channel only for audio, and not a full set for HT. Still neceassary to augument with an amp? And if so, should it also be a Yamaha? Thanks for the help!!

drseid
02-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Well, at least with 2 channel your chances of putting a large strain on the receiver are reduced... That said, there is still a risk due to the relatively low impedance level of the Electras...

I would still advise using an external amp, just to be safe (and get the most performance out of the Electras), but if it is 2 channel only, the risk of a major problem is definitely lower, IMO...

If you do go the amp route, I see absolutely no reason for it to have to be a Yamaha... There are a number of very good value SS amp brands to choose from that could most likely get the job done... Consonance, Rotel, Parasound, NAD, Adcom, Bryston, Aragon, etc. (in no particular order of personal preference).

---Dave

topspeed
02-20-2005, 12:40 PM
If you're running two channel only, I would definitely sell the AVR and get either a good integrated or preamp/amp combo. In addition to drseid's excellent recommendations, I'd also look into Creek, Audio Refinement (which could be a match made in heaven w/ the Electras), Portal, or possibly tubes from ASL or Jolida. I'm partial to switching amps like the PS Audio HCA2 or Bel Canto eVo's as I feel they provide the speed and slam of SS with the smooth musicality of tubes. Definitely check audiogon for some used amps as they are terrific buys, there are no moving parts, and many will have transferrable warranties.

Good luck

Stu-r
02-20-2005, 12:56 PM
MusicLG

If power under load is a problem, you can get a QSC, Crown, or Behringer power amp that will deliver 400 or more watts/channel continuous at 4 ohms at less than .1%distortion (less than .02% under most conditions) for about 300 bucks at ZZSound on the web. No fairy dust - just good sound. Most such places also have a 30-day return policy if you don't like what you get.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-20-2005, 02:55 PM
If power under load is a problem, you can get a QSC, Crown, or Behringer power amp that will deliver 400 or more watts/channel continuous at 4 ohms at less than .1%distortion (less than .02% under most conditions) for about 300 bucks at ZZSound on the web. No fairy dust - just good sound. Most such places also have a 30-day return policy if you don't like what you get.

None of the amps from any of these manufactuers will bring out the sound of these kinds of speakers. Pro amps are perfect for the heavy duty use on the road, or in a movie theater powering large horn loaded speakers, but they are not audiophile quality in the least.

MusicLG
02-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Thank you for all of your expertise. I followed your collective wisdom and returned the HT receiver. I ordered the Electras...and the Simaudio Moon I-3 integrated amp and the Simaudio Moon Equinox CD player to power them. Now I think I have a system that makes sense for :) those JMLab speakers. Thanks again for all of your advice...I'll let you know how it sounds when I have it running.
MusicLG

drseid
02-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Enjoy your new JM Labs! You definitely made the right call, IMO. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the music. :-)

Best regards,

---Dave