ipod users out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ipod users out there?

-Jar-
12-22-2003, 05:55 AM
you might want to read this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3764981/

I've never owned anything that was expressly designed to play compressed-format music. These days I feel tempted to get a cd/mp3 deck for my car, but that's about it. 10 years ago I would have loved something like this, these days, I could see using it at the gym but that's about it.

-jar-

Jim Clark
12-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Typical of Apple. They produce a great product and still manage to find a way to screw it up beyond belief. I had no plans to buy one but if I did after reading that article I'd immediately cross it off the list. One might think this company would have learned their lesson by now but clearly they have a long way to go.

jc

JazzHead
12-22-2003, 07:27 AM
It's a beautiful little toy - I use mine in the car, office, hotel rooms, etc. - just about everywhere outside of the home. Yep, the compressed files don't sound as good as LP or CD, but in a Jeep going 65 mph, or turned way down at work, the quality doesn't matter much. I wouldn't feed it through my home rig, but, then, I have the records and CDs there at hand to listen to.

I'd heard of the dying battery a long while back (when I bought the iPod, in fact), and I recall reading even then that if you pushed hard enough (and paid), you could get them to replace the battery. I'm guessing that the hard drive would continue to store my playlists, just like a PC drive, so that a new battery would let me pick up where I left off. Besides the price problem, Apple didn't seem to take into account the inconvenience and grief of having to recreate playlists that include thousands of songs. They promote the device as being the ultimate repository of your musical individuality, then glibly suggest you just chuck it and get a fresh clean one when the battery dies.

Still, I ain't giving mine up...

peace,
jh.