Alison Krauss & Union Station - So Long So Wrong [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alison Krauss & Union Station - So Long So Wrong

BRANDONH
02-18-2005, 01:08 PM
I found this album to be addicting.
I did not think I would care for Blue Grass but this record has be looking for more.

Mofi Original Master Recording
1/2 Speed mastered
Gain 2 Ultra Analog 180g 2LP Set
Product Details

Available for the very first time on vinyl. This is the best AKUS album to date. (AKUS is the band's own acronym for Alison Krauss & Union Station). The best songs, the best playing, the best singing and the best sound! This must have 2-LP set gets more addictive with every play. Call it bluegrass or call it acoustic pop, either way Alison Krauss and Union Station have created an incredible montage of music. As usual, it is Alison's beautiful vocals that gives it that "high, lonesome sound."

There are thirteen vocal songs and one instrumental on this two-record set. Krauss is the lead vocalist on eight of the songs and Union Station members share the other lead vocals. The virtuoso musicians comprising the group are Barry Bales (acoustic bass), Ron Block (banjo, guitar), Adam Steffey (mandolin), and Dan Tyminski (guitar). Of course Krauss started her career as a violinist (fiddler to the bluegrass world) and she doesn't leave that instrument out either. Due to the unmatched resolution of the Gain 2 Ultra Analog Cutting System, all the acoustic instruments and voices on the record are reproduced with an exceptional sense of space and clarity.

The tunes are mostly new material and alternate from bluegrass to acoustic pop. The standouts on the album are Alison's numbers: "It Doesn't Matter," "Looking in the Eyes of Love," and the gospel "There is a Reason." These are all quiet, reflective pieces with the haunting, almost angelic quality of Krauss' voice demonstrated to its fullest. The harmony singing on every cut shows off the vocal prowess of the entire ensemble. The title track in particular stands out for its use of harmony and incredible accurate presentation of acoustic instruments. The male vocalists are superb in their own right and each of the band members has the spotlight somewhere on the album.

1. So Long So Wrong - 3:22
2. No Place to Hide - 3:28
3. Deeper Than Crying - 3:07
4. I Can Let Go Now - 2:27
5. The Road Is a Lover - 3:11
6. Little Liza Jane - 1:43
7. It Doesn't Matter - 3:52
8. Find My Way Back to My Heart - 3:33
9. I'll Remember You Love in My Prayers - 3:02
10. Looking in the Eyes of Love - 4:19
11. Pain of a Troubled Life - 2:54
12. Happiness - 3:55
13. Blue Trail of Sorrow - 3:19
14. There Is a Reason - 5:35

BarryL
02-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I did not think I would care for Blue Grass but this record has be looking for more.

Krauss is an amazing vocalist. She's very laid-back without a powerful set of lungs, but she sounds pure and wonderful. I recently listened to a bunch of her earlier recordings which I picked up for a song from Columbia House, and I like her later more mature vocal style better. Her style is more waverly in the early years, with more bluegrass twang. Imagine a bluegrass artist making the big time the way Krauss has done it! It gives me hope that musical talant can shine through, wherever it is, even though it may take some time.

If you like Krauss, you should pick up Drum Hat Buddha by Bluegrass/Follkies Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer. This album is one of my favorites of the 21st Century. Unfortunately, Carter passed away after this, their third album, and I look forward to seeing what Grammer does. She's got a voice as good as Krauss, and I hope she's able to find great songs to sing for us, although finding a replacement for a songwriting talent like Dave Carter won't be easy.

BRANDONH
02-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Krauss is an amazing vocalist. She's very laid-back without a powerful set of lungs, but she sounds pure and wonderful. I recently listened to a bunch of her earlier recordings which I picked up for a song from Columbia House, and I like her later more mature vocal style better. Her style is more waverly in the early years, with more bluegrass twang. Imagine a bluegrass artist making the big time the way Krauss has done it! It gives me hope that musical talant can shine through, wherever it is, even though it may take some time.

If you like Krauss, you should pick up Drum Hat Buddha by Bluegrass/Follkies Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer. This album is one of my favorites of the 21st Century. Unfortunately, Carter passed away after this, their third album, and I look forward to seeing what Grammer does. She's got a voice as good as Krauss, and I hope she's able to find great songs to sing for us, although finding a replacement for a songwriting talent like Dave Carter won't be easy.
I looked up Drum Hat Buddha and could only find it on CD do you know if they ever produced it on vinyl?

N. Abstentia
02-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Speaking of alt-bluegrass (prog bluegrass?), has anyone seen a band called The Duhks (pronounced ducks)? A friend of mine passed along thier CD to me to check out and I'm quite impressed. The singer does not have a 'soft' voice like Alison Krauss, but it sure is sultry and powerful!

Anyone else heard them?

RGA
02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for this post -- I am new to Allison Krauss -- her Live album is quite excellent -- one of the better talents to come down in a long long time -- great string works also to highlight a and umm lowlight some systems.

This site sells a lot of newly released LP's -- perhaps a bit pricey but it is Canadian Funds.

http://www.adagioplus.com/searchall.php

I ordered Dianna Krall's latest LP for $24.99Cdn from a local store so we'll see how they did on LP.

Also another pretty good female bluegrass singer is Rory Block.

BRANDONH
02-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Speaking of alt-bluegrass (prog bluegrass?), has anyone seen a band called The Duhks (pronounced ducks)? A friend of mine passed along thier CD to me to check out and I'm quite impressed. The singer does not have a 'soft' voice like Alison Krauss, but it sure is sultry and powerful!

Anyone else heard them?
I have not heard of them but will check them out though.

BRANDONH
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks for this post -- I am new to Allison Krauss -- her Live album is quite excellent -- one of the better talents to come down in a long long time -- great string works also to highlight a and umm lowlight some systems.

This site sells a lot of newly released LP's -- perhaps a bit pricey but it is Canadian Funds.

http://www.adagioplus.com/searchall.php

I ordered Dianna Krall's latest LP for $24.99Cdn from a local store so we'll see how they did on LP.

Thanks for the info and link here is another Canadian supplier I have bought LP's from them before and been happy.
http://audiobasics.com/

RGA
02-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for that link -- it's nice to have a few sources just to make sure you can get a good price.

BRANDONH
03-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I have a whole bunch of online links if you want them.
You may already have some if not all But I'll be gald to list them all.

RGA
03-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Brandon -- If you have some of the Canadian ones that would help because buying from the US is not really an option with the goofball shipping hassles.

Thanks man

Richard.

BRANDONH
03-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Brandon -- If you have some of the Canadian ones that would help because buying from the US is not really an option with the goofball shipping hassles.

Thanks man

Richard.
Canada only ay.
Here is one but I have never purchased from them.

Finyl Vinyl Records
224 8th St.
Weyburn,SK,Canada
S4H 1E2
www.finylvinylrecords.com
( Major Credit Cards,Cash & Money Orders accepted)
http://finylvinylrecords.musicstack.com
(Paypal,US or CDN cash and Money Orders accepted)
finylvinyl@sasktel.net
P/F 306-848-0692

RGA
03-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks

I have bought from them once before but had a poor disc even though they said mint. and one they listed as sealed wasn't and the other two were excellent.

The gave me some money back -- still I have a used place that has over 250,000 used lp's and another with considerably less but in excellent shape usually across the board.

So the net I use for new releases.

Yikes that Patricia Barber Cafe Blue 3 LP remaster is $74.99...This album has been way overblown in the audiophile community -- and quite frankly isn't THAT good of a recording and she isn't THAT good of an artist...I prefer Krall on all counts.

Chip_B
03-05-2005, 05:54 PM
My wife has been a big fan for years and has gotten me hooked as well. My personal favorite is, aptly, "New Favorite" from 2001. We also have her superb 'hits' CD "Now That I've Found You" which covers tunes from '87-'94 and includes her contributions to albums by Tony Furtado and Jerry Douglas, two of the finest musicians anywhere. Her most recent release "Lonely Runs Both Ways," is also excellent.

If you like 'new grass', check out Nickel Creek. For sheer musicianship, grab some Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, Furtado, and Douglas.

Chip_B
03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Actually, Rory Block plays mostly traditional folk Blues. Her music is excellent and she's great live (though it was close to 20 years ago that I saw her).

Chip_B
03-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I wish you'd been around when I was trying to get someone to discuss "Tanglewood Tree" about a year or so ago. I heard the title cut on our local public radio station (WMNF 88.5 FM-best station I've ever heard by far), bought it, and posted about it. The album is full of great story-songs like "Cat-Eye Willie Claims His Lover" and is a great listen overall. I haven't gotten around to picking up Drum Hat Buddha yet, but I intend to soon.

Tracy Grammer played locally not long after I got "Tanglewood Tree," but I was unable to go. Sorry I missed it.

RGA
03-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah trying to put things into genres I gave up doing --- they put Rory Block into blue-grass in my store. Then there is Norah Jones who is kinda jazz kinda pop kinda Sade who is also kinda jazz kinda pop...hmm how about Jazz-Pop.

The there is trance and some guy was telling me that because people didn;t like the name trance they moved a lot into Progreesive house etc.

I wish it was all called music and they put it into alphabetical order.