Echolyn - As The World // kinda noodelish [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Echolyn - As The World // kinda noodelish

3-LockBox
02-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Not that there isn't some great moments on this CD. The playing is very virtuostic, though over-rought at times. No... very over-rought, a lot of the time. I love progressive rock, don't get me wrong, but when bands start flexing their muscles and showing 'us' how fast they can change time signatures or playing fast, just for the sake of doing it, they lose me.

Probably a treat for fans of modern jazz-rock or Zappa. Not quite fusion territory, but very jazzy nonetheless. Which should be a good thing. But the the first 6 tracks or so on this CD is too much a workout for me. Track 5, <i>Best Regards</i>, is fairly good Jethro Tull-ish number, save for the vocal harmonies. This CD doesn't grab me until the 7th track, where their prog leanings start to really come through, with track 10, <i>Entry 11-19-93</i> being a standout. In fact, my favorite part of this CD is the final five tracks, which come across as an actuall extended prog-like piece.

This CD's saving graces are that the group's singing is a couple of notches above other bands in the prog genre. The lead vocals aren't anything to shout about, but they don't require multiple listens to get use to them. And the band employs the use of multi-part harmonizing that rivals that of any pop group, past or present. Also, the lyrics here are some of the most pointed and clever you'll here in neoprog, emphasizing word play, with an almost Zappa-like delivery at times. These guys seem somewhat jaded, like in the song <i>The Cheese Stands Alone</i>, where they seem to be relating their collective music experience, in a negative way (no lyrics sheet included to say for sure).

This isn't something I'd recommend to someone upon their first foray into prog. I'd have to say that I will probably skip the frist 6 tracks more often than not. I'm hoping I like <u>Cowboy Poems Free</u> a lot better.

Dave_G
02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Ya I think it's a real weak album/band.

Troy loves 'em.

Dave

DarrenH
02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
The only Echolyn I've heard was on a comp from Demetrio. (where are you man?)

I don't even remember what they sounded like. Guess I'm gonna have to dig out those comps.

Darren

progfan
02-19-2005, 10:04 AM
I've never quite understood the hoopla over Echolyn. They are talented enough and I do like some of their songs. But their "Gentle Giant on speed" approach leaves me cold somehow. Not necessarily unpleasant, but nothing I can't live without either.

BarryL
02-19-2005, 11:56 AM
I've never quite understood the hoopla over Echolyn. They are talented enough and I do like some of their songs. But their "Gentle Giant on speed" approach leaves me cold somehow. Not necessarily unpleasant, but nothing I can't live without either.

As The World is the one Echolyn that I have. I was happy to have found it, and glad to hear a new "old" prog band that I had never even heard of before finding this board. But I can't say that I became a fan. Looking back, I note that only the first two tracks were indicated by me as worthy of consideration for prog comps out of 11 tracks. I haven't listened to it in ages, and would certainly say I enjoy Gentle Giant much more. I guess they were never really successful because of their narrow appeal. But then again, some bands you just have to see live to really appreciate them, as was indicated in the recent discussion of Univers Zero.

Troy
02-20-2005, 09:40 AM
As Barry says, they are a band with a very narrow appeal. Personally, I like them much more than Gentel Giant which I find to be stiff and dated sounding.

I found "As the World" jarring "Fast and complex for the sake of fast and complex" nonsense at first. After a handfull of spind though, it clicked with me. As with most complex music, familiarity, the ability to follow it, makes for a much better listening experience. It is unquestionably "active listening" music, especially when you are first getting familiar with it.

And even then, most people don't seem to connect with it.

I've been known to like things that few others like. It's not the first time.

DPM
02-20-2005, 11:57 AM
As The World is, by far, Echolyn's most progressive release. It took me several exposures before it started to click with me. Now I really like it. Still, it's not my favorite CD. That would be Cowboy Poems Free--a disk in which Echolyn balances their musical abilities with their penchant for catchy tunes. My favorite track is Brittany. It rocks.

DM