More Recent Rentals... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More Recent Rentals...

Worf101
02-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Been Movieing it Up again and here some more recent reveiws....

1. "Troy" - B Minus - I'm sorry I'm a Military Historian and while the Illiad might NOT be considered "history" it does have at the benefit of having been written by a decendant of some the original players. This movie gets as much wrong as you can in flim a historical standpoint. Right up there with "Pearl" and "Battle of the Bulge". As entertainment it was pretty good particularly if you like looking at half nekid men stabbin at one another. Not my cup of tee but it coulda been worse. Thought the guy that portrayed Hector gave one Helluva performance, he gets an A in my book.

2. "The Motorcycle Diaries" - A Minus - Excellent story, superb acting. I found myself marveling that this skinny, asthmatic 18 year old would someday be in the hills fighting alongside Fidel and others. A little slow at times but powerfull in the telling. I also know that conditions for many in Latin America have worsened since Che's time and this saddens me to no end.

3. "The Terminal" - B - Solid filmaking . Speilberg does Capra for the new Century. Nice performances... I thought the guy that played the Indian janitor stole the movie and was flat out hilarious. Semi-feelgood ending but not completely sappy. The villian was too one dimensional to make is role as heavy believable, why was this guy such a humorless prick? Coulda been better.

4. "Ray" - A Minus - A great moving portrayal of a true one of a kind musical talent. The word "genius" gets thrown around a lot in music. But if anyone's earned at least a passing title as one Mr. Charles did. Although most of his major flaws are shown in detail they are still soft pedaled somewhat. Thought Jamie Foxx's portrayal was nothing short of stunning add to that the fact that he did all his own piano playing and whew... what a job.

5. "Alien Vs. Predator" - D - If you're gonna make a monster moive, please try and make the characters compelling , the script believeable and the story rational. What a drivel. Good CGI though and great real life FX.

Well, that's all for this installment. Be good, stay well and see lots of movies.

Da Worfster :cool:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-20-2005, 01:01 PM
I saw The Terminal, and it was much to sappy and boring for me. It gets a around the world and back snap and a major "I hated it!!" from me.

Purchased "Ray" but haven't seen it yet

Purchased Alien vs Predator but haven't seen it yet(I have waaay too many movies I own that I haven't seen yet). I am not encouraged by your review Mr. Worf(frowns)

Kam
02-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Was the only good part of Troy. That confrontation was done really well, and a great fight too. Eric Bana is one of my new fav actors. His first movie, Chopper is definitely worth checking out. The aussie actor shows more so why comedy is tougher, he was a standup comic down under before beginning his acting career and he makes it look easy. I even liked him in The Hulk and was easily the best part of Troy. Although watching orlando bloom play such the weasel was entertaining, crawling away when he lost the battle to hide behind hector was fun. the big battles didnt do anything for me though because i knew they were fake and that kind of ruined the fun of it. i guess it's different from the LOTR battles which are also, obvisouly cgi, but i figured that story is just like a cartoon and the only way to assemble 20,000 orcs is to do it in a cmputer. just something unimpressive with the big troy battle seeing the thousands of fake people running into each other. i guess cgi is no longer impressive when it's so obvious. what's the saying?: "if you notice the art, then the craftsman has failed" defn holds true in this case.

AVP: this was alright, had a great premise to it and the reasoning behind why it all started, then after that, it pretty much went downhill from there with all the crap and some strange desire to hold on to the "bishop" link as stretched and contrived though it may be, throughout the entire aliens series.

#2-4 i still have to see. thinking of killing my cable and saving the money to just buy movies.

peace
k2

audiobill
02-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Been Movieing it Up again and here some more recent reveiws....

Well, that's all for this installment. Be good, stay well and see lots of movies.

Da Worfster :cool:

Hey, Worfster.

Many of us who read your reviews and commentary don't always respond; but, let me tell you that your opinions are very appreciated--especially, when your film tastes are very much in line with my own.

Keep up the reviews, buddy.

Cheers,
audiobill ...........tonight, I'm renting that Che movie, based on your comments.

Worf101
02-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey, Worfster.

Many of us who read your reviews and commentary don't always respond; but, let me tell you that your opinions are very appreciated--especially, when your film tastes are very much in line with my own.

Keep up the reviews, buddy.

Cheers,
audiobill ...........tonight, I'm renting that Che movie, based on your comments.

I like movies and I really, really like the folks in this forum. We have actual film makers here like Kam, movie NUTZ like Sir Terrance, RGA and myself, crumudgeons like Woochifer and Kex :0) and just all around nice folks. The closest we ever got to an all out flame war was over the merits (or lack of depending on your point of view) of new Star Wars trilogy. Some of us want Lucas par-boiled, some of us merely want him severely beaten about the head and neck with a Binks stick. Enjoy, write and let us know what YOU think about movies and TV for matter. Once again thanks for the love...

Da Worfster
:D

Kam
02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
i dunno, the open water debates got pretty heated i thought...

and don't even get me started on the old flame wars.... lest we forget the great debate from the old boards of: which pair has influenced cinema more: Lucas/Speilberg or VanDamme/Lundgren... and we ALL remember which side of the fence the 'ol Worfster parked his kaboos.... things rivalled the 'ol mtry DBT arguments.

peace
k2
hehehehe

kexodusc
02-22-2005, 12:30 PM

and don't even get me started on the old flame wars.... lest we forget the great debate from the old boards of: which pair has influenced cinema more: Lucas/Speilberg or VanDamme/Lundgren... and we ALL remember which side of the fence the 'ol Worfster parked his kaboos.... things rivalled the 'ol mtry DBT arguments.

peace
k2
hehehehe

ROFLMAO!!!

Worf101
02-23-2005, 08:45 AM

peace
k2
hehehehe
Stop it Kam, I'm laffin out loud here at work and that kind of behavior may get me canned or at least interrogated. LOL, Lucas/Speilberg or VanDamme/Lundgren... that was a classic. LOL, I'm crying.... but that's nothing to the old DBT cable wars.... that was worse than Hatfield's vs. McCoys. Ah.... de good ole days...

Da Worfster
:D