Brown Note Myth busted.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Brown Note Myth busted..

plextor guy
02-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Check out the Brown Note episode of the Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel. The Brown Note refers to the point at which people lose control over their bowels when subjected to very low frequency sound. Apparently there's very little to the myth and showed that different people have different tolerances to low frequency sound. Some of the bystanders reported mild nausea and mild physical discomfort but the subject showed no side effects when subjected to up to 153 db sound from around 5-100 Hz. I guess we consumers of of high output consumer level subs have nothing to fear.

http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

kexodusc
02-18-2005, 05:36 AM
I had never heard of this myth, but I'm thinking if you're subjected to a 5 Hz tone, the odds of you crapping yourself are pretty damn high.
Trying to think what generates 5 Hz....earthquakes, volcano blasts, bombs, aliens...maybe the victims just wrongfully interpreted the cause-and-effect relationship of the events in question? :D

markw
02-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Generally those emitted from Brittney Spears and her ilk.

Worf101
02-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Eric Cartman of South Park Colorado and his friends were able to produce a worldwide "BrownNote" pulse that forced everyone on the planet, myself included shame to say, to evacuate our bowels postehaste. Don't tell me you don't remember that feeling you had some months ago. You thought it was the burrito, chimichanga TacoTrash food you'd eaten but nooooo... it was Eric and boys.

Da Worfster :rolleyes:

musicoverall
02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Check out the Brown Note episode of the Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel. The Brown Note refers to the point at which people lose control over their bowels when subjected to very low frequency sound. ]

What a sh*tty test! Who was on the cleanup crew should the test have been successful?

evil__betty
02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
The brown note on Southpark was probably one of the best episodes. Now, if only Mythbusters used recorders being played by 3rd graders instead of a big rig of speakers.... maybe then it would have worked.

dean_martin
02-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Apparently there's very little to the myth and showed that different people have different tolerances to low frequency sound. Some of the bystanders reported mild nausea and mild physical discomfort but the subject showed no side effects when subjected to up to 153 db sound from around 5-100 Hz. I guess we consumers of of high output consumer level subs have nothing to fear.

My guess is that myth was already busted by someone like John Waters. If he could've gotten a theater full of people to crap their pants he would've done it by now.

Woochifer
02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't where THAT urban myth came from, but it's pretty damn funny! Pretty much the extent of my urban myth knowledge stopped with the exploding microwaves episode. The ones they're putting on now are getting pretty obscure. "Disco dump"?! WTF is up with that! If this myth were true, then those raves I used to attend would have ended up as flatulent biohazard zones by the end of the evening!

I think it would have been more interesting to try this test inside an anecholic chamber. I've heard that people can become disoriented and even nauseous when inside of an anecholic chamber.

Also interesting that Meyer Sound provided the monitors for that test. The studio and concert rigs that they put together sound quite good.

kexodusc
02-24-2005, 04:34 AM
Wooch I don't know about anechoic chambers but when I worked for Honda I visited their research facility which had a huge cylinder shaped room that served as a wind tunnel and noise testing chamber. They use to let the employees spend their lunch hours in it for quiet time until a few reported cases of nausea and dizziness. Might be some truth this myth.

pelly3s
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
gotta love meyer for putting their speakers to the true test. those boxes are killer if you have a ton of money, a large room and the need for the ultimate kick drum.