Polk RM6900... sending it back [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk RM6900... sending it back

elbarono
02-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, my Polk RM6900 front and center channel speakers arrived last night. After I assembled one of the stands, I pretty much immediately knew I would be sending it back, without even listening to it.

I did hook up one of the speakers and the high and midrange were quite good, noticeably better and clearer than my Infinity bookshelves. The low end wasn't really there, but that's to be expected with only 3.5" drivers.

To be honest this system really gives the impression of a cheap computer 'multimedia' system. The specs and the sound really don't justify price I paid (about $180 per speaker). I think I can do much better in this price range.

leog
02-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Well, my Polk RM6900 front and center channel speakers arrived last night. After I assembled one of the stands, I pretty much immediately knew I would be sending it back, without even listening to it.

I did hook up one of the speakers and the high and midrange were quite good, noticeably better and clearer than my Infinity bookshelves. The low end wasn't really there, but that's to be expected with only 3.5" drivers.

To be honest this system really gives the impression of a cheap computer 'multimedia' system. The specs and the sound really don't justify price I paid (about $180 per speaker). I think I can do much better in this price range.

I Had the RM 6700 they sounded great in the store but so much was missing from them when I hooked them up to Marantz 5400, This was with a PSW 404. As you said no low end. They were returned within the week.
Picked up the RTi4s for front, and rears, and ,Polk center. The fronts should have been at least Rti6. The RTi4s are great for HT, but again missing when it came to music.

elbarono
02-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Well since I already have the sub, and now have a $550 credit coming from Crutchfield, I am considering putting together an Axiom system.. Looks like I can get something pretty sick for around $1200. More than I would have paid for the Polk stuff (esp. considering the Crutchfield $150 deal going on right now) but I think it will be worth it.

In other news, my SVS 20-39PCi showed up today and all I can say is HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS BIG.. I mean I knew it was big but I didn't think it was THAT big.. It puts out quite a bit of bass though.

Florian
02-19-2005, 11:50 AM
I didnt even know there was a 200$ price class. What are your options in that area?

elbarono
02-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Well Florian, I'm very impressed with your obvious high standards. I'm curious, have you ever seen a $5 bill, or do you just deal in hundreds?

Florian
02-20-2005, 05:37 AM
Lol. Yes i know what a 5$ bill looks like. I actually am stripped for money right now. I just dont recall ever seen any decent speaker for 200$. I save all the money i make and then go and listen to what i like, and buy it. I started with 5 Alarm clocks all tuned to the same station :p But i saved mu money and dedicated all my time to my hobby. I just didnt know that there was something for 200$ thats all.

elbarono
02-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, I don't think of this as my hobby.. My objective is to get a good system put together and then enjoy it, without spending an arm and a leg. I think I can get a pretty decent system for $1600 ($600 for the SVS sub, and $1000 budgeted for five speakers) and there are a LOT of options in this area, and if I wind up going over by a couple hundred I won't sweat it as long as the system meets my expectations.

Florian
02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Well thats ok. Not for me tough, i guess my expectations are higher than that. Good luck on your search tough. I am interested in what you find.

nightflier
02-23-2005, 09:54 AM
While Crutchfiled has a downright abismal selection when it comes to speakers (compared to just a few years ago), if you have to use their return credit, an excellent option is Infinity's Primus line. Paired with your SVS sub, this should make a fine HT setup.

I've compared their 140 & 150's to Axiom's M2 and M3ti and they are comparable. IMO, the Axioms have more refinement and clarity in the midrange, but the Infinity's are almost half as much; there isn't much else out there at that price-point. I haven't heard the Primus 160, but it would probably compare quite well with the M3ti as well, and still cost less. I also have not auditioned their towers, but I imagine they would also give your excellent bang-for-the-buck. I have a friend who picked up a pair of severely water-damaged 360's for a pitance, put the drivers in an angled home-made cabinet, tweaked the cross-overs a bit, and built one of the best sounding and looking speakers I've ever heard.

P.S. I've purchased several speakers from Axiom's outlet store, and although they take a little longer to arrive, I have not noticed any difference in cosmetics or sound.

elbarono
02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm considering both Axiom and Onix now, I also plan to head over to some of the local dealers to audition some Paradigm mini-monitors or maybe their Monitor 20's.

I am toying with the idea of ordering a small set from each online supplier so that I can do a direct comparison with any sets that I might 'borrow' from a local dealer for a home test. Specifically the Onix ELT LRS that's on sale, and the Axiom M3Ti. The return shipping on these shouldn't be more than around $20 per pair and I will probably just keep one pair anyway for my bedroom either way.