A few more newbie questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A few more newbie questions

ryjam282
02-17-2005, 11:09 AM
These may sound stupid but I have a few questions about my Yammie HTR-5790.

What is the difference between Surround Standard and Surround Enhanced? Is the Enhanced part just adding the rear surrounds?

I am running a 7.1 setup, BTW.

Also, is there a difference in Surround Enhanced and PLIIx? I know the PLIIx is a 7.1 soundfield but I notice the sound to be a little better with the Surround Enhanced.

Is it possible to get the DTS Neo 6 or even the DTS ES Matrix to run from my DirecTV? I can't seem to get the DTS soundfield up with the DirecTV. It only switches between Surround Standard and Enhanced and PLIIx.

Some help would be appreciated.

godfatherofsoul
02-20-2005, 12:44 AM
These may sound stupid but I have a few questions about my Yammie HTR-5790.

What is the difference between Surround Standard and Surround Enhanced? Is the Enhanced part just adding the rear surrounds?

I am running a 7.1 setup, BTW.

Also, is there a difference in Surround Enhanced and PLIIx? I know the PLIIx is a 7.1 soundfield but I notice the sound to be a little better with the Surround Enhanced.

Is it possible to get the DTS Neo 6 or even the DTS ES Matrix to run from my DirecTV? I can't seem to get the DTS soundfield up with the DirecTV. It only switches between Surround Standard and Enhanced and PLIIx.

Some help would be appreciated.

Surround Enhanced works with PLIIx to do just that - enhance your sound. It does not "activate" the rear surrounds as only a signal being sent to them will activate them.
DTS is a sound field similar to Dolby Digital (only less compressed) that, to my knowledge, is only available on DVD. So I guess the answer ro your question would be that no, you can't get DTS to work with DirecTV because nothing is being broadcast in DTS. BTW DTS Neo6 is for music and the DTS ES Matrix creates a phantom rear center when there is no actual rear center.
Other than that, good choice on the receiver.
Cheers.

paul_pci
02-20-2005, 12:56 AM
DTS Neo:6 is a DSP just like Pro Logic II. On my Yamaha, I've "A/B"ed them, on my DirectTV and, frankly, didn't notice a difference, so I use PLII for non 5.1 programming. Using the Neo:6 may just be a matter of hitting the right button on your remote.