How good is the JBL E250P ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How good is the JBL E250P ?

PandaR1
02-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi,

I'm from Italy, I'm looking for a sub to replace my jamo E4 sub.1 which is a toy (70 w 8" cone, 45 hz minimum, my main towers go down to 31 hz...)

I have two big towers as front (canton le-109) and canton le-105 as central, two wharfedale wh-20 dipoles as surround, the room is approximately 16.5x13x(9.5 height) feet...

After some searching and reading I looked at the jbl e250p, which has the plus of being available locally here in europe, if I buy it from german (cheaper...) I will pay 332 euros (433 dollars) plus shipping (something around 40-50 dollars) which is a lot more than in USA but it's an american product so here it's not cheap...

I've read good things about it and it's smaller sibling e150p...

Other choices in the same price range are the velodyne cht-8r at 367 euros (495 dollars, buying locally), which has much smaller cone and power (160 vs 250 rms), or the cht-10R which is more costly (600 dollars locally...), has a slight smaller cone and slight less power...

Also in the same league the entry level velo VX10 which here cost 400 dollars, which is a robbery 'cause in the usa I read it sells for 1/3 to 1/4 this price... but buying in the usa is a pain in the ass 'cause different voltage (110 vs 220) different frequency (60 vs 50), shipping, custom, etc...

And velodyne is not available from german online so no discount here...

I've also looked at svs budget PB10-ISD at 429, but I have to add 250 dollars for shipping and possibly custom duties, 30%) so it's going to cost too much (679 without custom, 800 with custom...)

So I want to know how good is the jbl and if it's so inferior to the svs PB10-ISD and how it compare to the velo cht-8r or 10r... and if in my room it's enough or even too much and I can go for the e150p...

Tnx in advance...
Fabio PandaR1

This Guy
02-17-2005, 03:03 PM
eh, JBL is clearly the winner in your situation. Try to talk to HSU subwoofers (online only), partsexpress.com (they have a 10 and 12" kit in your price range", and Adireaudio.com has a 12" sub in your price range that is also quite good. If it's too much from these companies the JBL should be fine. Either sub will destroy that little sub you got right now. I heard the JBL in a best buy showroom (not a great place for listening) but I thought it sounded quite nice. It had a real nice kick on the rock and rap music it had playing. Surely not a bad sub.

lazyhaze
02-17-2005, 10:46 PM
i bought the E250p for an extended home audition, it is a good sub. I ended up returning it and ordering the parts express 10" because of budget issues, but i think you would be quite happy with the JBL.

PandaR1
02-18-2005, 01:30 AM
partsexpress.com (they have a 10 and 12" kit in your price range)

I was looking at the partsexpress site for the kit you mentioned, I've read very good things about them, but they weight so much that I would pay the hell to have them shipped to italy, so I was thinking to order only the cone and the amp plus the hardware (feet, etc...) 'cause I can easily find MDF here so it will be very stupid to have it shipped from usa when I can buy it 100 feet from my home... ;)

This way the price is lower, if the parcel get caught by custom the duties are calculated on the amount declared, so less the price, less the duties...

The only thing that discourages me it's the finish, I have to put the sub in my living room so it has to look decent, if not beautiful ! And I'm not this master as a carpenter, I can cut holes and glue a loudspeaker, no problem, but the finish is another playground...

Fabio PandaR1

PandaR1
02-18-2005, 01:32 AM
i bought the E250p for an extended home audition, it is a good sub. I ended up returning it and ordering the parts express 10" because of budget issues, but i think you would be quite happy with the JBL.

Tnx for the info, in your opinion, how the 10" kit compares to the jbl ?

Fabio PandaR1