Mission speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mission speakers?

tke148
02-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the forum but definiately have been reading my share of all your comments about speakers. Thanks.
My question though:
Someone near me is selling a set of newer Mission speakers (about 3 weeks old) and I was wondering if they are worth the money. The front pair are M74i, the rear pair are M7DS and the center is M7C2. They are asking $800 for the set. I listened to Klipsch RF-15, RB-15 and RC-15 yesterday and liked the sound of them. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how the Mission would compare even though the Klipsch are a little more.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Tom

Peter Duminy
02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Both Companies make excellent products. The Mission M74i has been out of production for a while now. Hi-Fi choice reviewed it here:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2136

But as with all Loudspeakers, try to audition both systems in your own home before purchasing, or, failing that, make sure a full refund/return policy is in place - just in case!

Woochifer
02-17-2005, 11:38 AM
You're talking about two very different sounds if you're deciding between Mission and Klipsch. Don't take your eye off the ball in search of a bargain. If your friend will let you listen to them, set them up and give them a try out. $800 is obviously a good price for a five speaker set, but if it's not the type of sound you're looking for, then it's a lot of money to shell out for something you're not happy with.

If you have a preference for Klipsch, then the Mission sound likely will not be what you're looking for. Missions are good speakers that have their adherents, but they definitely will not give you the punch and forward sound that Klipsch gives you. The other thing to consider with Mission is that their U.S. distribution situation is still somewhat unsettled. For several years, Denon was their U.S. distributor, but that relationship ended over a year ago, and their products have not been readily available in the U.S. since then. Since you're buying from a friend, it's no biggie that you can't find stores that carry them, but if something goes wrong with those speakers, then it might be a hassle to get spare parts.

tke148
02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Thank you for your feedback. I do like the sound of the Klipsch Reference line but not their Synergy. I wasn't sure what the Mission sounded like but since you say they don't sound like the Klipsch then I may pass. I also didn't know about the U.S.distribution market; thanks for the info. It seems to me I wouldn't be happy with the cheaper choice.

On another note (no pun intended) is there another brand of speakers similar to the Klipsch Reference with their horn design about the same price of the RF-15?

MikeyBC
02-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Dont pass up hearing the Mission's just yet, listen to them and you may be suprised to find out you like them better, even if you already know you like the klipsh's sound. The mission system might do somthing for you that no other speaker system you've heard has done, you will never know though untill you hear it. Unless klipsh has changed (been 10 years since i heard any) the missions would have a smoother, more refined sound and the klipsh a more lively, engaging character and more efficient too.

RGA
02-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Mikey --- the Klisph has changed from some of the older speakers of a decade ago -- the Klipsh Reference series is now in a slimmer cabinet with a tighter presentation - less sensitive than older Klisph and a smoother presentation than some of the older models -- but generally less dynamics as well. Overall pretty good for low money --- You can hear them at London Drugs in the Computer/stereo department --- not all London Drugs have a stereo section though. They also carry Jamo.