Speaker design software [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker design software

James.ca
02-17-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm notheat hip on math but can use poer tools OK.
Mostof the better drivers havepublished specs forthere drivers.
I'mlookin g for a soft ware I can putinthe spes ofthe driver and come out with a box can can build .

I wan to make some 4x8 guitar cab - slat cab , a 2x10 slat cab , a 4x 8 bass cab with high &low driverin sit with a cross over .
I am after portablity now and ease of getting cabs in and out of a car with out killing myself and still have a good stage sound as well.
Thanks
James

46minaudio
02-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm notheat hip on math but can use poer tools OK.
Mostof the better drivers havepublished specs forthere drivers.
I'mlookin g for a soft ware I can putinthe spes ofthe driver and come out with a box can can build .

I wan to make some 4x8 guitar cab - slat cab , a 2x10 slat cab , a 4x 8 bass cab with high &low driverin sit with a cross over .
I am after portablity now and ease of getting cabs in and out of a car with out killing myself and still have a good stage sound as well.
Thanks
James
http://www.linearteam.dk/

This Guy
02-17-2005, 02:57 PM
James, now why can't make all your posts like your last paragraph? but anyway, I use "speakerbox designer" it's very simple and easy to use, its my favorite software. another was WinISD. This has a library of drivers with specs already in it. The former was just more my style.

Feanor
02-18-2005, 09:12 AM
The BASSBOX 6 PRO/X-OVER 3 PRO software combination works well and is much easier to use than most products. It calculates response, impedance, and phase depending on the driver information available, and produces pretty good graphs and print-outs. It supports both home and automobile designs. It comes with large database of drivers which you can also add to or modify. But not that it doesn't do optimization; however you can manually change parameters and compare results.

Probably has the most features relative to price and ease of use. Well worth the money versus freeware or online options ...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=500-927&DID=7

46minaudio
02-18-2005, 09:46 AM
The BASSBOX 6 PRO/X-OVER 3 PRO software combination works well and is much easier to use than most products. It calculates response, impedance, and phase depending on the driver information available, and produces pretty good graphs and print-outs. It supports both home and automobile designs. It comes with large database of drivers which you can also add to or modify. But not that it doesn't do optimization; however you can manually change parameters and compare results.

Probably has the most features relative to price and ease of use. Well worth the money versus freeware or online options ...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=500-927&DID=7
Ive thought about ordering this software..What are your thoughts on Xover 3 Pro...

Feanor
02-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Ive thought about ordering this software (http://forums.audioreview.com/newreply.php#)..What are your thoughts on Xover 3 Pro...
I not a seasoned speaker designer, though, so you might want some more opinions.

But, as I mentioned above, I think it is an excellent balance between the more sophisticated but more expensive and, generally, much more difficult to use software. On the other hand both X-over 3 Pro and BassBox 6 Pro are far better and more fun to use than the many freeware or online "calculator" programs that are out there. I do recommend that you buy both products, although if you are content with standard closed or vented boxes, then you might prioritize X-over Pro ahead of BassBox.

X-over Pro diagrams the crossover, calculates response, and plots nice graphs at the click of a button. It will do 2 and 3 way crossovers with matched or different high/low points and alignments between each of the two or three drivers. It automatically handles multiple drivers too. You can override the program-selected component values and it will recalculated using those manually selected values.

On the other hand, it doesn't do automatic optimization: you have to fiddle the crossover points, alignments, and/or component values to get the result you want. Also, it won't do any arbitrary topology you happen to have in mind. It will include L-pads, Zobels, and resonance filters, but won't do notch filters. That is, it doesn't include notch filters in its diagrams, calculations, nor graphs, although it does have handy tool for calculating these filters, (sort of like the free-bee calculators).