Sub Decision [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Decision

Silverbullet
02-16-2005, 11:47 PM
OK, i think i've narrowed it down to three subs and now i need some input. All are in the same ball park as far as price, so before i kick down some dough, thought i would pick your brains. 1) Sunfire Solitaire 12; 2) Velodyne SPL1200 II; 3) Paradim Seismic 12. Room size is 13' x 17'(actually where the carpet ends, but opens into the kitchen and dining room) and ceilings are 8'. I chose these for their small size which is important for the WAF. If i'm missing a small but powerful sub that you think i should consider, i'm always open.

Silverbullet
02-19-2005, 12:55 AM
So there is no one with input? I figured someone would be able to help me with some direct comparisons.

Peter Marcks
02-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Dear Silverbullet,

I am not aware of any direct comparisons between these models. I advise you to read as many reviews as possible on all of these products, audition them if possible, and choose the one that you feel compromises in the least number of ways that you consider to be important. Sometimes it will come down to sheer form or size factor, or which product you think has the best combinations of features and aesthetics, or which product you can get the best price on.

Of the models that you listed, Velodyne and Paradigm are very well regarded by most, and Sunfire is known for making very high output subwoofers that are relatively compact. No specific budget was stated, but another good source for relatively compact subwoofers is Earthquake Sound. Also do not hesistate to check out places like www.audiogon.com for great deals on used, like-new, and new equipment.

Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Peter Marcks
Hsu Research

shokhead
02-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Check out svsubwoofers. I've not read one bad thing about them.

texlle
02-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Get the sunfire. I've heard the True Super, or whatever it's called. It's amazing.