To B & W or Not [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To B & W or Not

SteveD
02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
I am in the process of building a Movie Room. I picked up a Mitsubishi 73 Diamond and prewired the room for 7.1 in wall speakers. I was told to get B & W speakers and Surrounds in wall and Sub. Power all with Denon 2805. Need any information about Discount Suppliers for all. I have been waiting for this room for 10 Yrs and I want the best system I can get for the money. Any imput available would be great and welcome.

Thanks All

theaudiohobby
02-17-2005, 12:05 AM
You did not state the exact models you are interested in nor your location, so the best I can say is go to your local hi-fi or HT stores and listen to a couple of other brands which will vary depending on your location, if at the end of it all you still want the B&W then go for it.

Aric M L
02-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Yuo've got to listen for yourself rather than do what your told. I like B&W but I know people who prefer other sounds I'm not a fan of

SteveD
02-17-2005, 05:48 AM
Center Chanel LCR 600
Mains CWM 640
Surrounds CCM 65
Sub ASW 675

I didn't have my supply sheet last night. Does anyone know a discounter of the B & W?

shokhead
02-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Only when Ken Cranes has a B&W sale around here.

Woochifer
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Best bet on getting a discount on B&W is whatever you can negotiate. Pretty much if you look to buy the entire package through a single dealer, then you have more leverage to negotiate. B&W gives their dealers territorial exclusivity designed to keep a market from having too many retailers, so you won't find a lot of price wars on their products.

You won't find online retailers either, B&W sells exclusively through their dealer network. If you see B&W available through a website or mail order house, then they're probably not authorized and you're on your own if something goes wrong.

As others have asked, have you actually gone out and listened to the speakers yet? In general, in-wall speakers compromise the sound quality big time, and unless your installer really knows what they are doing, it will sound even worse if the alignment is wrong or if the in-wall speaker is improperly isolated from the wall cavities. You should compare the in-wall speakers with B&W's on-wall and freestanding speakers as well. In-walls are a good idea if you place a high priority on keeping everything out of sight, and are willing to compromise the sound quality to get that preinstalled look. If sound quality is your #1 priority, then in-walls probably won't be your best bet.