SVS PB10-ISD vs. 20-39 PCi [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SVS PB10-ISD vs. 20-39 PCi

natronforever
02-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Hello everybody. As I have no subwoofer, I am planning on purchasing one soon. In fact, I'm pretty much good to go as soon as I can shake the dreaded buyer's nervousness. For reasons impertinent to this particular discussion, I have chosen to purchase from SVS, although many fine alternatives are available.

I sent SVS a sketch of my room which I am going to attempt to successfully attach. They told me that the PB10-ISD would be fine in my room as I typically listen at the -18 db level. But because my living room opens into the kitchen, I have been considering saving a bit more and buying the 20-39 PCi. Also, I may soon be moving into an identical apartment minus the 6 foot dividing wall between the living room and the kitchen, as can be seen on the sketch. The PB10-ISD seems impressive and would surely enhance my sub-less system, but what if I wanted to turn it up past the -18 db mark? Would it step up to the plate and fill my room or would the bass be weakened by the adjoining kitchen? I have experienced bass that is so powerful that it constricted my chest. I don't need anything like that. I don't want to cause my guests or myself any heart arrythmias! But I do want it the sound/feel to be good and full. What do you all recomend? Would the PB10-ISD be insufficient for driving louder than I currently play? If so, would the 20-39 PCi be a good solution? Your comments are welcome. If I can provide more info, I would be happy to do so.

NoMSG
02-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Just kidding.

But on a serious note, I was also curious about what effect the size of an adjoining room would have it's connected by something larger than an open doorway.

See the question I posted a few days ago in this forum: "Is a 10-inch sub big enough?" Although my rooms seem bigger, I think the responses were well thought out and helpful.

Good luck.

natronforever
02-17-2005, 10:32 PM
The bean bag is of a tan color. It's pretty cool. The gals really dig it. You can look for one at lovesac.com, but that's another story.

Thanks for referencing your previous post on "Is a 10-inch sub big enough?". I got some good information, but I feel that, like with most threads, nothing conclusive was decided upon. First of all, I think everybody has their own definition of "loud" or "mega bass" or "room-shaking power". It makes people's reviews and opinions anything but universal. I guess it's not possible to give real sensation to a decibel or hertz value with mere words.

So what did you decide upon? Are you going to stick with the PB10-ISD or go another route?

shokhead
02-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Its better to have more then you need then need it and not have it. Also a bigger/better sub is more fun.

bargainseeker
02-18-2005, 05:29 AM
The technology used in the design of the woofer in the PB10 is much more advanced than that used in the 12" ISD woofer in the 20-39PCi. The transient response of the PB10 is better, its distortion is lower and it behaves better at its limits. I would recommend the PB10 over the 20-39PCi unless you need your subwoofer to have an internal crossover.

Please note that room gain in your small room is going to substantially boost the lower bass frequencies no matter which subwoofer you get. For that reason, I would recommend that you get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer or similar parametric equalizer to equalize the subwoofer frequency response. If you are not willing or able to use a parametric equalizer, I would recommend that you get a subwoofer that does not go as low such as the SVS 25-31PCi.

andretrey
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
you say: The transient response of the PB10 is better, its distortion is lower and it behaves better at its limits.

This is not true. The only area where the PB10 has better distortion characteristics than the PB12 is near 20Hz, because it is tuned lower. Above 22Hz, the PB12 has lower distortion and more output because it has a much larger driver and a much larger diameter port. Transient response argument is also incorrect, assuming one could define it in the first place.

-andre

shokhead
02-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Whats the DB at 20Hz on both?

nightflier
02-23-2005, 01:08 PM
The technology used in the design of the woofer in the PB10 is much more advanced than that used in the 12" ISD woofer in the 20-39PCi. The transient response of the PB10 is better, its distortion is lower and it behaves better at its limits. I would recommend the PB10 over the 20-39PCi unless you need your subwoofer to have an internal crossover....

Bargain, that is not what SVS says. There are subtle differences between the two subs, but the PCi line is no slouch. As a matter of fact, the tube design gives it more bang-for-the-buck as compared with the cube subs. This is because the chamber has to be designed completely differently. The real question is whether natron wants to have a water-cooler-sized -black-velvet-covered-tube in the corner of the living room or a standard looking cube sub. I have one of the larger tube subs and while I can't say enough good things about the sound, it's a continuous fight to justify its existence in our little house as the family grows.

elbarono
02-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I can vouch for nightflier's comments. The 20-39PCi is a beast. I did not imagine it would be so large. However when we're watching DVD's the lights are usually out :)

natronforever
02-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey, everybody. I finally decided upon the PB10-ISD. I decided that for my needs, it would be more than enough. I think that although the tube subs are unique, powerful, and cool-looking, eventually I'm going to get married and, well, you know. The box will be good while maintaining a more discreet profile. Also, it's substantially less expensive, making the decision, in the end, easier to make. I placed the order today. Thanks to everybody for contributing to this thread and helping guide my decision-making process. Likely, in the future, I'll post my subjective comments in regards to how the sub is working in my room. Maybe it'll be helpful for others with similar floorplans, should there be any.

natronforever
02-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Oh, Shokhead, I believe you can get db measurements from both subs at svsubwoofers.com.