Sub Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Question

axelsrd
02-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a Velodyne CHT-10 that I am using woth my HT setup. I have an old Pioneer SX-950 receiver and a Pioneer PL-71 turntable that I am using for my 2 channel setup. My question is, I use a single from the sub to the sub out on my Denon (HT). The sub has options for regular speaker wire input. Can I run speaker wire from my 2 channel Pioneer (speaker B) to the speaker input on the back of the sub. If so, since bass is omni directional can I just run one wire from say the right (speaker B) from the pioneer to the right on the sub or do I have to run right and left from pioneer to right and left on the sub. Did I ask that right? Does my question make sense?

bargainseeker
02-17-2005, 05:07 AM
I have a Velodyne CHT-10 that I am using woth my HT setup. I have an old Pioneer SX-950 receiver and a Pioneer PL-71 turntable that I am using for my 2 channel setup. My question is, I use a single from the sub to the sub out on my Denon (HT). The sub has options for regular speaker wire input. Can I run speaker wire from my 2 channel Pioneer (speaker B) to the speaker input on the back of the sub. If so, since bass is omni directional can I just run one wire from say the right (speaker B) from the pioneer to the right on the sub or do I have to run right and left from pioneer to right and left on the sub. Did I ask that right? Does my question make sense?I am not sure that I entirely understand your question, but I will try to give you an answer. To hook up your Pioneer receiver to your subwoofer, you would use connections to both your right and left speaker outputs. You need both because the sounds coming through the two channels are not the same. The B outputs would be fine if you do not need to make use of the internal crossover in your subwoofer.

axelsrd
02-17-2005, 05:35 AM
The only reason I said B was because I have a pair of Klipsch RB-35's hooked to speaker A on the Pioneer. So you say it's OK to run speaker wire from speaker B on the pioneer to the speaker inputs on the back of the sub?

I currently have the sub crossover set at 80db for HT use. I suppose I could leave it set at 80db for 2 channel music as well. I guess the reason I asked the question in the first place is because I realize or at least I think my Denon (HT) does the or aids in the frequency crossovers for the surround setup. I just don't or didn't know if the Pioneer (2 channel) had that capability. In other words, will the pioneer know to send the 80db and lower signal to the sub?

bargainseeker
02-17-2005, 05:50 AM
The only reason I said B was because I have a pair of Klipsch RB-35's hooked to speaker A on the Pioneer. So you say it's OK to run speaker wire from speaker B on the pioneer to the speaker inputs on the back of the sub?

I currently have the sub crossover set at 80db for HT use. I suppose I could leave it set at 80db for 2 channel music as well. I guess the reason I asked the question in the first place is because I realize or at least I think my Denon (HT) does the or aids in the frequency crossovers for the surround setup. I just don't or didn't know if the Pioneer (2 channel) had that capability. In other words, will the pioneer know to send the 80db and lower signal to the sub?No. In the setup described, the Pioneer would be sending full range output to both the subwoofer and the speakers. To use the subwoofer's internal crossover with a receiver that does not have one, you would hook up the left and right A outputs to the subwoofer and then hook up your left and right speakers to the subwoofer's high level outputs. Just be aware of the internal crossover point for the high pass output on the subwoofer -- in many subwoofers it is fixed at 125Hz regardless of what the low pass filter is set to.

axelsrd
02-17-2005, 06:04 AM
I was trying to figure out if I could use my sub for both applications...HT which utilizes Paradigm monitor 7's for front, Mini Monitors for rear CC-370 center and sub and also use the sub for my 2 channel setup, but it sounds like I can't do that if I understand correctly.

bargainseeker
02-17-2005, 06:09 AM
I was trying to figure out if I could use my sub for both applications...HT which utilizes Paradigm monitor 7's for front, Mini Monitors for rear CC-370 center and sub and also use the sub for my 2 channel setup, but it sounds like I can't do that if I understand correctly.Do you use the same left and right speakers for both music listening and home theater?

axelsrd
02-17-2005, 06:12 AM
No. my HT setup is listed above. My 2 channel setup is the pioneer receiver, Klipsch RB-35's and a turntable.

bargainseeker
02-17-2005, 06:30 AM
No. my HT setup is listed above. My 2 channel setup is the pioneer receiver, Klipsch RB-35's and a turntable.I think it would work then as long as you don't try to run both systems at the same time. Another option would be to get a phono preamp (http://www.audioreplay.net/index.html) and then use your Denon receiver for everything. You could hook up your Klipsch speakers as the B speakers on the Denon.

axelsrd
02-17-2005, 06:45 AM
I did have the turntable hooked up to the Denon (which accepts MM cart.) but I went through a mid life crisis thinking I needed/wanted an old Pioneer receiver and convincing my wife that I needed the pioneer because the Denon was strictly multi channel and I needed this pioneer for 2 channel because vinyl was only recorded in 2 channel. She is so easy. And yes the Denon has a 2 channel/stereo option. I think that I just wanted the pioneer and the Klipsch speakers just cuz. The Kilpsch sound quite nice just the way it is set up. They produce an amazing amount of bass on their own. I was just curiuos as to what they migh sound like with a sub added.

Oh, and to answer your question, I had no intentions on running both setups at the same time. That much I did know.