A/V Receiver - Component Video Switching [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/V Receiver - Component Video Switching

jamison162
02-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Is it recommended to use the Component Video Switching on Receivers?
I have a Denon 1804. Is Signal Integrity maintained? Some Receivers upconvert...not sure what that means or does as far as switching signals. STB and DVD would benefit, easy hookups, less remotes. Would only have to Calibrate one monitor input. Unless your tv has calibrations for individual signal source, which you may would want to do for each source. Another questions is, say with Avia or DVE, do you calibrate TV or DVD player....both have options, which one is off? Guess that's why you would need prof. equipment to produce a standard, unaltered test signal.

Anyways, experiences....good, bad, ugly??

paul_pci
02-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Is it recommended to use the Component Video Switching on Receivers?
I have a Denon 1804. Is Signal Integrity maintained? Some Receivers upconvert...not sure what that means or does as far as switching signals. STB and DVD would benefit, easy hookups, less remotes. Would only have to Calibrate one monitor input. Unless your tv has calibrations for individual signal source, which you may would want to do for each source. Another questions is, say with Avia or DVE, do you calibrate TV or DVD player....both have options, which one is off? Guess that's why you would need prof. equipment to produce a standard, unaltered test signal.

Anyways, experiences....good, bad, ugly??

I use component video switching on my Yamaha receiver and it works great. No problems. I use it switch between satellite and DVD player. My model doesn't have the component video upconversion (just the S-video upconversion), but a friend of mine got the 1400 which does and I set it up for her. It is what it is: not native component video, but arguably better than S-video. And that also depends on how sensitive your eyes are to what may amount to subtle difference in video quality.

jamison162
02-16-2005, 05:07 PM
So component video upconverting is converting standard coax/s-video to component. So I just plug my STB and Denon DVD player to the Receiver via component in and only one component out to my LCD and let it do the switching, I'm not really losing anything. Right? Sounds good to me.

paul_pci
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
So component video upconverting is converting standard coax/s-video to component. So I just plug my STB and Denon DVD player to the Receiver via component in and only one component out to my LCD and let it do the switching, I'm not really losing anything. Right? Sounds good to me.

Right, not losing a thing. Yeah, just his the right input button on the receiver remote and you're in business.