I just heard someone who can play like Michael Hedges [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I just heard someone who can play like Michael Hedges

Hyfi
02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
A new artist named Kaki King will be live on the radio on friday. If I didn't here the intro, I would have sworn it was Hedges. Lots of body slapping rythym going on also. I only heard the one song...didn't catch the name of it.....but I am looking forward to more from this girl.
Listen live on the radio at xpn.org on Friday.

https://lv0.net/Form/WXPN/XPNFreeAtNoonConcertKakiKing

Finch Platte
02-16-2005, 05:32 AM
A new artist named Kaki King will be live on the radio on friday. If I didn't here the intro, I would have sworn it was Hedges. Lots of body slapping rythym going on also. I only heard the one song...didn't catch the name of it.....but I am looking forward to more from this girl.
Listen live on the radio at xpn.org on Friday.

https://lv0.net/Form/WXPN/XPNFreeAtNoonConcertKakiKing

Haw, haw, haw. She's been around a little while- she's got two discs out, and her background is pretty cool. You can read it at Kakiking.com. She was playing w/ Blue Man Group for a while.

The song you heard was probably Playing With Pink Noise. The video is pretty interesting. That's the spunkiest cut off the disc- most of the rest of it is pretty mellow.

Thanks for the link/info.

fp

Hyfi
02-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Haw, haw, haw. She's been around a little while- she's got two discs out, and her background is pretty cool.

Well I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Do any of the other songs come close to Hedges style? He was pretty unique.

HF

Finch Platte
02-16-2005, 06:42 AM
Well I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Do any of the other songs come close to Hedges style? He was pretty unique.

HF

I'm not familiar w/ Hedges' muzak. Maybe Troy could tell you- I sent him a copy of the KK.

Troy?

fp

Chrisgnat
02-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Kaki's got the technique,but Michael had some serious composition chops that leaves most of his imitators in the dust, imo.

Troy
02-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Me? I had a Hedges LP back in the oooold days. It was very low-key acoustic guitar and it covered a wide variety of styles. Comparable to The California Guitar Trio in range and scope . . . but with only one guy.

Hedges was about technique, but he also played wth a lot of emotion and yeah, Chrisgnat's right, really nice writing skills. Hedges was the whole package. A shame he died so young. I don't think he ever hit his stride.

I heard KK on the radio the other day. She played one song. Very thumpy . . . TOO thumpy IMO. The song wasn't terribly inspiring and she wasn't a very good interview, sounding like a kid without a lot of life experience or perspective.

Finch, you should at least try some Hedges, the man was a real craftsman. But I'm not the guy to tell you what his best album was.

EC Freight Train
02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
I am scratching my head wondering how much of hedges music you have heard to base your comment on.She is unique and a breath of fresh air in the acoustic guitar world but immature in age and playing,compared to hedges.

As far as this Finch fellow,who seems to be the dull blade in the AR cupboard,I would suggest the Hedges best of cd called Beyond Boundries Guitar Solos.I allways reccomend best of collections for people with short attention spans that can't digest anything that's new,or different, in large quantities.
EC Freight Train

Chrisgnat
02-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Hedges first two are his best imo ; Breakfast in the Field and Aerial Boundries.
He was also AMAZING live! Fortunately,I saw him twice.
He never let his technique "play himself", if you know what I mean.
His two hands were there only to bring the "song" to life.
Damn, he made it look so easy!