Are we ready for another Tribute album? This one will make you wonder. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are we ready for another Tribute album? This one will make you wonder.

Mr Peabody
02-15-2005, 08:17 PM
I heard today that there will be a Rap tribute album to none other than Metallica. No details as to who the artists will be. I will just leave you with that image because I am speechless.

In general why do they do these tribute albums? Is there money in it? I seldom hear them get any airplay. In fact the only tribute stuff I have heard on the radio was Clapton from the Hendrix tribute and a couple country artists that covered Eagles songs. You want to hear tribute, pick up Hayseed Dixie's tribute to either AC/DC or Kiss done in Bluegrass. Yee-Ha!

Finch Platte
02-16-2005, 04:03 AM
I heard today that there will be a Rap tribute album to none other than Metallica. No details as to who the artists will be. I will just leave you with that image because I am speechless.

In general why do they do these tribute albums? Is there money in it? I seldom hear them get any airplay. In fact the only tribute stuff I have heard on the radio was Clapton from the Hendrix tribute and a couple country artists that covered Eagles songs. You want to hear tribute, pick up Hayseed Dixie's tribute to either AC/DC or Kiss done in Bluegrass. Yee-Ha!

...would be interested in hearing it, of only for novelty's sake. I like stuff like that. What's the difference between that and your Hayseed Dixie thing? To each his/her own.

If you haven't heard Easy Star All Stars tribute to Pink Floyd's Dark Side..., I suggest you run, not walk to your nearest record emporium and snatch it up.

And what's radio got to do with it? What's radio got to do with anything?

fp

shokhead
02-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Havent heard one i liked yet. As far as i'm concered,they pretty much all suck.

Mr Peabody
02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
There's no difference, that's my point. I've heard the Hayseed Dixie stuff but don't own it. I personally don't buy music for novelty sake. I have a couple CD's I may not fully enjoy but keep for the sound quality. Otherwise, my music purchases are albums I can put on and enjoy listening to. Well, second thought I have a few albums that have tracks I really wanted but the rest of the album is weak, would that be a novelty? For instance, Billy Thorpe Children of the Sun, Jonathon Edwards Lay Around the Shanty, Andy Pratt Evenging Annie and other similar items. Actually, in these parts we consider those collectors items.

Radio doesn't mean anything as far as will some one enjoy it but it represents if a song has commercial success or not. No one has ever receiver a gold record with out air play.

-Jar-
02-16-2005, 05:35 PM

Why have their been 53945934454 recordings of Beethoven's 5th Symphony?

Why not?

:)

I don't believe I own ONE tribute album. But I love hearing covers on occasion. Normally, there are maybe 2 or 3 interesting takes on any tribute album, the rest kind of suck.

But yea, I'd TOTALLY love hearing some raptallica. I'm just trying to imagine it now....

I think the tune "Master of Puppets" would work great.. maybe even "For Whom the Bell Tolls"..

-jar

Worf101
02-18-2005, 09:20 AM
There are the obvious ones for influentials. I own three for Curtis Mayfield, one for Laura Nyro, a couple for Miles Davis. But the oddest one I ever got was "Reggae goes Dread". You got it, Reggae covers of the Grateful Dead. It was both hideous and hilarious all at the same time.

Da Worfster :cool:

DarrenH
02-18-2005, 04:31 PM
But yea, I'd TOTALLY love hearing some raptallica. I'm just trying to imagine it now....

I think the tune "Master of Puppets" would work great.. maybe even "For Whom the Bell Tolls"..

-jar

Or maybe "Seek and Destroy" and "Sanitarium". Maybe even "Fade To Black" or "Ride The Lightning". Yeah, I can see the appeal. I'd be curious to hear that myself, if only once as I really don't like rap, but they'll probably do things from the Black album or Load or Reload or even worse, St. Anger.

kexodusc
02-18-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm all for it, but seriously, I can't think of one hip-hop track off the top of my head that wasn't in 4/4...this could get really interesting...
Scratch that...I think K-OS, Canadian guy with some talented musicians and alot of appreciation for different styles has a few in 3/4 I think...

kexodusc
02-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Or maybe "Seek and Destroy" and "Sanitarium". Maybe even "Fade To Black" or "Ride The Lightning". Yeah, I can see the appeal. I'd be curious to hear that myself, if only once as I really don't like rap, but they'll probably do things from the Black album or Load or Reload or even worse, St. Anger.

I'm all for this crossover stuff if the right people are doing it...Kid Rock is not the right people!!!

At least it's not Britany Spears or Ashlee Simpson doing "Orion", "To Live Is To Die", or "The Call of Ktulu", or something...

DarrenH
02-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm all for this crossover stuff if the right people are doing it...Kid Rock is not the right people!!!

At least it's not Britany Spears or Ashlee Simpson doing "Orion", "To Live Is To Die", or "The Call of Ktulu", or something...

Alright, you got me fired up now. Ride The Lightning just went on. I love "The Call of Ktulu" but that's an instrumental. A little hard to do for a rapper don't ya think?

EDIT: I see the humour now. DUH!

kexodusc
02-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Two points goes to Darren!!!!

Actually they're all instrumentals...which is the THE ONLY way I ever want to hear Ashlee Simpson covering Metallica :D

DarrenH
02-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Two points goes to Darren!!!!

Actually they're all instrumentals...which is the THE ONLY way I ever want to hear Ashlee Simpson covering Metallica :D

Very funny. See above.

Chrisgnat
02-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh my god , what a nightmare this will be!!
I can't think of one worthwhile tribute album!

BarryL
02-19-2005, 12:04 PM

There's a local bluegrass band that did a complete remake of the Wall. Why would they do it? It sure brought them a lot of local publicity, and I even bought a copy for novelty sake. The quality of the musicianship is good, and it's failry entertaining to hear The Wall goes country-hick. The name of the band escapes me at the moment, but if anyone is really interested in knowing, I'll try to find it. I'm sure this would be fun at parties, given EVERYBODY knows this album.