HELP: Triangle Room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Triangle Room

Gaius Caligula
02-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Our living room is triangular, and I'm having difficulty setting up a 6.1 speaker system. Any recommendations? The room is similiar to this:

http://kscalar.kj.yamagata-u.ac.jp/museum/DisplayRoom/photo/R_triangle.jpg

With the "A" corner OPEN to our entry way and "B" corner OPEN to our dinning area/nook. The entertainment alcove (location of the screen, receiver, etc.), which came with the house, is located on the "c" wall, right about where the lower case "c" sits; the fireplace is to the right of that alcove. And our corner sectional sofa (to be purchased soon) will go in corner "C."

As you can see, I need help here. :(

bargainseeker
02-15-2005, 03:56 PM
First, I would recommend that you put the center channel speaker either above or below the TV screen in the entertainment alcove. Then, I would space out the left and right main speakers on the "c" wall equi-distant from the center speaker. The left, center and right speakers should be close to ear level (when seated).

I would put the left and right surround speakers on the "b" and "a" walls respectively. I would use bi-, di- or omni-polar speakers for the surrounds. Finally, I would put the rear speaker at the C corner near the ceiling and angled down. All of the surround speakers should be up higher than ear level. The best place for the subwoofer is probably the C corner on the floor if the design you are considering for your corner sectional will allow it or if the sectional can be moved out from the wall.

Gaius Caligula
02-15-2005, 04:04 PM
First, I would recommend that you put the center channel speaker either above or below the TV screen in the entertainment alcove. Then, I would space out the left and right main speakers on the "c" wall equi-distant from the center speaker. The left, center and right speakers should be close to ear level.

I would put the left and right surround speakers on the "b" and "a" walls respectively. I would use bi-, di- or omni-polar speakers for the surrounds. Finally, I would put the rear speaker at the C corner near the ceiling and angled down. All of the surround speakers should be up higher than ear level. The best place for the subwoofer is probably the C corner on the floor if the design you are considering for your corner sectional will allow it or if the sectional can be moved out from the wall.
In between the letters "c" and "B", more toward the "B," the wall cuts away from the ceiling to form a two-tiered shelf set-up that looks like "steps" coming out of the ceiling. The top "step" is about 5" high, and is separated from the alcove by two sheetrock walls. I was going to put a grommet (sp?) in each side of the two walls, feed speaker wire through it, and put the sub on the top "step." Is this a bad idea?

bargainseeker
02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
In between the letters "c" and "B", more toward the "B," the wall cuts away from the ceiling to form a two-tiered shelf set-up that looks like "steps" coming out of the ceiling. The top "step" is about 5" high, and is separated from the alcove by two sheetrock walls. I was going to put a grommet (sp?) in each side of the two walls, feed speaker wire through it, and put the sub on the top "step." Is this a bad idea?That subwoofer location may work. I would try it with a temporary external cable before drilling any holes. Set up the subwoofer, plug it in, and then use a test disk and SPL meter to measure the bass frequency response at you listening location. You will probably need to do some experimenting to find the best spot.

Gaius Caligula
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Here is a new diagram:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/614529/Picture2.gif

1. Receiver, Screen, and Center Speaker
2. Fronts
3. 5' high ledge that drops away from the ceiling, with a block of sheetrock separating the entertainment alcove
4. Subwoofer, with speaker wire feed through the sheetrock block.
5. Sectional sofa
6. End tables, each 3' high.
7. Surrounds

Note that the angle is off somewhat; the screen faces more toward the corner (i.e., where the No. 5 is) than it shows, although the placement of the screen is accurate. Thoughts?

bargainseeker
02-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Here is a new diagram:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/614529/Picture2.gif

1. Receiver, Screen, and Center Speaker
2. Fronts
3. 5' high ledge that drops away from the ceiling, with a block of sheetrock separating the entertainment alcove
4. Subwoofer, with speaker wire feed through the sheetrock block.
5. Sectional sofa
6. End tables, each 3' high.
7. Surrounds

Note that the angle is off somewhat; the screen faces more toward the corner (i.e., where the No. 5 is) than it shows, although the placement of the screen is accurate. Thoughts?I would put the left and right main speakers farther apart with at least 6' of distance between them (more if the room is large -- I can't tell the scale). I would recommend moving the left surround speaker closer to the center of the b wall if possible. As per Dolby recommendations (http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html), I would also recommend that the surround speakers be mounted higher on the walls instead of down on the tables. If you are not considering di-polar, bipolar or omni-polar speakers for the surrounds, I strongly recommend that you do so given your particular room arrangement. An alternative would be to use conventional speakers for surrounds but to wall mount them up high and point them down along the wall.