Camper Van Beethoven [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Camper Van Beethoven

Stone
02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
There's just not enough love shown around here for these guys. Okay, so maybe the reunion wasn't a good idea (they released a mediocre album and had their equipment stolen twice), but they put out some excellent stuff in their prior existence. After being reminded of Cracker by a friend, I went back and listened to Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart. Adding a bunch of well-written songs to the mix of instruments such as the harmonica and mandolin with the guitar-bass-drums really puts this album into the "excellent" category for me. Even the instrumentals keep my attention.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd100/d106/d106686d4kg.jpg

Anyone else as big of fan of this album as I am?

How can I believe that everything in this world is going to be fine?
How can I believe that everything in this world has its place and time?

Ex Lion Tamer
02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Anyone else as big of fan of this album as I am?

Uhhh, like Yaaah! That album is just so fine. Among the 4 or 5 albums from that era, that still gets a regular spin in my household. The mix of instruments and hooks and riffs and humour is just great, with that Eastern European flavour lending it a touch of the exotic.

How can I believe that everything in this world is going to be fine?
How can I believe that everything in this world has its place and time?

Great line. Great song...maybe their best. Epic sounding in the best sense of that overused term.

I like Key Lime Pie too, not nearly as much, but it does have another contender for Best Camper Song Ever....the charmingly creepy All Her Favorite Fruit

(they released a mediocre album and had their equipment stolen twice)

Have you heard the reunion album? I've read mixed reviews, Stereophile had a "Building a Library" feature on them and gave it a very positive review, saying they haven't missed a beat. I've hesitated so far. BTW I got my first issue (March) today from that subscription you generously signed me up for. Thanks much.

Maybe they should add a line to Where the Hell Is Bill? "Maybe he went to get a sideways haircut, maybe he stole our gear and took off."

She Serves him mashed potatoes and she serves him peppered steak...and corn

Stone
02-15-2005, 05:03 PM
I like Key Lime Pie too, not nearly as much, but it does have another contender for Best Camper Song Ever....the charmingly creepy All Her Favorite Fruit

I like Key Lime Pie too. I'll have to dig through the cassette stacks to find that one though. Great album, but it never had quite the appeal to me of OBRS.

Have you heard the reunion album? I've read mixed reviews, Stereophile had a "Building a Library" feature on them and gave it a very positive review, saying they haven't missed a beat. I've hesitated so far.

Yeah, I have it. I listened to it twice and shelved it. It didn't do much for me, but I probably didn't give it enough of a chance.

I'm on the road again tomorrow, so I think I'm gonna take these two CVB albums with me.

nobody
02-16-2005, 05:56 AM
I love Revolutionary Sweetheart, but I'll also always have a soft spot for the one with Take the Skinhead's Bowling and their cover of Wasted, the name of which escapes me. I also really love the song Good Guys and Bad Guys.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-16-2005, 07:27 AM
I'll also always have a soft spot for the one with Take the Skinhead's Bowling and their cover of Wasted, the name of which escapes me.

Telephone Free Landslide Victory...a fine album indeed.

Finch Platte
02-16-2005, 07:29 AM
If I steal your gear, will you just shut the hell up???

:eek:

fp

Davey
02-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I like it, but I came to them through Cracker, and one of their biggest fans (who's already posted in this thread) sent me a copy of Sweetheart. I think it's one of those albums tha means much more to those who "discovered" it at the time, but definitely quality stuff. I remember me and Tricky (aka RPM, aka newtrix) talking about it in relation to my British Sea Power mystery disc because he thought they had a similar sound, something that escaped me. Interesting comparison :)

Is it British Sea Power or Camper Van Beethoven? (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:IQAKMIkC_PgJ:archive.audioreview.co m/10/0EF9FEC8.php&lr=&client=firefox-a&strip=1)

Stone
02-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I remember me and Tricky (aka RPM, aka newtrix) talking about it in relation to my British Sea Power mystery disc because he thought they had a similar sound, something that escaped me. Interesting comparison :)

Hmmm, I've never heard a connection there either, but haven't listened to them back-to-back either.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Hmmm, I've never heard a connection there either, but haven't listened to them back-to-back either.

Maybe, just a little bit because of the slightly russian/eastern European sound/influence of the song Apologies to Insect Life, beyond that...uh uh.