Is this true? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Manimal
02-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I remember reading somewhere that in order to have speakers that sound as good as 100 dollar headphones you need to spend atleast a 1000 dollars on speakers.

I have a pair of headphones, Koss pro4aa's, and they sound crystal clear and wonderful. So wonderful that after listening to music with them that I normaly listen to on my floorstanding speakers I would hear soft instruments and little details in the mix that I had never heard before such as buzzing of acoustic guitar strings and breaths inbetween singing.

I don't like listening to music on my speakers anymore. Since I've never heard a set of speakers in that price range I was wondering if this is true.

elbarono
02-14-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but don't discount the noise blocking properties of your headphones. They may be blocking ambient sounds that you just can never get rid of.. So more expensive speakers may not be the answer.

RGA
02-14-2005, 10:39 PM
The myth has been perpetuated for a long time --- it's true to a point --- headphones however don;t have the spacial cues of even relatively inexpensive speakers --- but yes I would take my Senns over most speakers --- on the other hand since I've had my J's I have listened to the headphones once --- I can run it in a pseudo A/B with instant changes because my headphones could run through the tape out jacks and the HD600s were blown out of the water.

Headphones though can beat many speakers for resolution and don't suffer from room acoustics issues(though they have their own mecahnical subteleties). Cans usually don;t have the bass.

It's a different experience --- It's more intimate so if you like vocals Sarah McLachlan is singing on your lap blowing into your ear -- with headphones. A stereo is like a concert.

I say get both then you have your bases covered and whatever tickles your mood.