So, I could have stayed home last night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, I could have stayed home last night...

ForeverAutumn
02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
and put Keane's CD in the player on shuffle.

Was it live or was it Memorex? Couldn't tell. :confused:

Yawn.

Finch Platte
02-14-2005, 05:28 PM
and put Keane's CD in the player on shuffle.

Was it live or was it Memorex? Couldn't tell. :confused:

Yawn.

Don't you hate that? IMO, live shows should come with a money back guarantee.

fp

Stone
02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Okay, but I'm much more interested in hearing about the Redwalls. So . . . how were they?? Inquiring minds want to know.

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Okay, but I'm much more interested in hearing about the Redwalls. So . . . how were they?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Who expects a concert to actually start on time?! The doors opened at 7:00, so we figured if we showed up around 8:15 we'd have plenty of time to grab a beer and settle in for the first band. Well, we got there as planned and The Redwalls were on their second last song! So, we only heard two tunes by them. They were quite good and I would have like to have heard more. Very Beatles-like from what little I heard. I checked out the merch table later in the evening, but they had only brought an ep with them, and it was sold out.

The Zutons were the highlight of the evening for me. My only complaint was that the sound system for both opening bands wasn't very good. But it was quite excellent for Keane. So, I'm guessing that the sound board wasn't really set up right for the other bands which, unfortunately, affected the quality of their performance. Anyway, I enjoyed The Zutons very much. Three guitars, one drummer, and a sax player that stood on stage and did nothing for most of the show. The sax player was a very attractive young woman and we figure that she's probably someone's girlfriend as she added very little musical value. The band was pretty tight and did some really nice a cappella harmonies. Their music took some interesting twists and turns and definately peaked my interest to hear more of them. They weren't selling CDs at the show, but I will be ordering this one.

Keane were excellent sounding and the sold-out crowd absolutely loved them. I was bored silly. Here's the problem....when you are a trio and one member sits at keyboard and doesn't move (other than to head-bob) and the second guy sits behind the drums and doesn't move (other than to head-bob), the guy standing behind the mic better have some stage presence and charisma.

Tom Chaplin has a fantastic voice that was just as good live as it is recorded. And he did try to be a good frontman, I'll give him that. But the bottom line is that he just doesn't have the stage presence to carry the band. I was ready to leave halfway through the show. It's too bad. IMO, Keane are a great studio band, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone spend their money to see them live. Every song was note for note from the CD. Nothing to show off their individual talents. The whole show could have been lip sinced for all I know. Maybe that's why they sounded so good. Hehehe. ;)