Behringer Feedback Destroyer Connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Feedback Destroyer Connection

mjon99
02-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Which is the recommended connection for the BFD? BFD out to sub's LFE or L/R input? If it's the latter should I incorporate a Y splitter to both? Also, I assume a mono phone plug opposed to a stereo phone plug. Correct?

Woochifer
02-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Which is the recommended connection for the BFD? BFD out to sub's LFE or L/R input? If it's the latter should I incorporate a Y splitter to both? Also, I assume a mono phone plug opposed to a stereo phone plug. Correct?

Just run a single cable to the BFD, and another one out from the BFD to the subwoofer's main or L/R input.

Keep in mind the BFD does not use RCA connectors. It uses 1/4" jacks (similar to headphone and microphone plugs) and XLR connectors. The simplest thing to do is run down to Radio Shack and get two RCA-to-1/4" adaptors and connect them to your subwoofer (RCA) cables. Remember that to use the BFD, you'll need two RCA cables.

http://www.behringer.com//fbq2496/FBQ2496_back.jpg

If you sub has a L/R input, all that the Y-splitter will do is bump up the level by about +6 db if you use both channels from a receiver's subwoofer output. The only time you'll need to use a Y-splitter is if you turn the level all the way up and you still cannot get it to match properly with the mains.

Those L/R inputs are more for use with two-channel separates, with the subwoofer serving as the crossover.

mjon99
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
So I guess you wouldn't use the LFE. Then what is the actual difference in L/R inputs and LFE inputs on subs? Also, if the y splitter is used wouldn't that be less "taxing" on the driver even when the sub matches the mains with the level only halfway? I accidentally called the plugs phone instead of phono, but I'm not sure that is the correct term for them either. Either way I knkow the ones you're talking about. Should they be mono or stereo? I'm assuming mono.

Woochifer
02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
So I guess you wouldn't use the LFE. Then what is the actual difference in L/R inputs and LFE inputs on subs? Also, if the y splitter is used wouldn't that be less "taxing" on the driver even when the sub matches the mains with the level only halfway? I accidentally called the plugs phone instead of phono, but I'm not sure that is the correct term for them either. Either way I knkow the ones you're talking about. Should they be mono or stereo? I'm assuming mono.

I think you need to look up your subwoofer's manual. My sub only has the low pass L/R inputs (as well as the high pass inputs that you use with speaker cables). I would guess that the LFE input on your sub is designed to take a feed directly from a home theater receiver because it likely bypasses the crossover on the sub (in that setup, your receiver functions as the crossover, so it's not needed on the sub). Unless you're using two-channel separates, that's the input you should use.

Using a Y splitter is no different than turning up the level by 6 db. You only need to use it if you turn the level on the sub all the way up, and you still can't get it to match the main speakers.

As far as mono or stereo plugs. In the BFD, you go with mono plugs all the way.

mjon99
02-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks Wooch I appreciate the information.