Behringer Feedback Destroyer question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Feedback Destroyer question

kexodusc
02-14-2005, 05:10 AM
I've stumbled across an older BFD at a pro-audio shop here in town, the DSP-1100P...in great shape, and I can get if for about $85 US instead of $99 US plus $19 shipping for the 1124P.

Any advantages to getting the newer model other than warranty? The dealer will actually give me 90 days BTW, so if it beats that I'm probably in the clear. I don't mind dropping the extra $35 if there's something else there....I'll probably only use this for it's Parametric Eq...

Oh, and am I correct in assuming these things can actually EQ two subs (1 per channel)?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-14-2005, 09:33 AM
I've stumbled across an older BFD at a pro-audio shop here in town, the DSP-1100P...in great shape, and I can get if for about $85 US instead of $99 US plus $19 shipping for the 1124P.

Any advantages to getting the newer model other than warranty? The dealer will actually give me 90 days BTW, so if it beats that I'm probably in the clear. I don't mind dropping the extra $35 if there's something else there....I'll probably only use this for it's Parametric Eq...

Oh, and am I correct in assuming these things can actually EQ two subs (1 per channel)?

Kex,
Get the 1124p. Most of what the 1100p would do applies directly to live PA solutions. I think the 1124p works better, and is better suited for what you are trying to accomplish. Yes, the 1124p can EQ two subs, just do not use the couple function.

kexodusc
02-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks Sir T...already ordered the 1124 last week, just thought this might be a good pickup for a 2nd system...doesn't matter now, it's gone today.

Woochifer
02-14-2005, 10:59 AM

My understanding is that functionally the two models are identical. The difference is that the 1100 uses 20-bit DACs, while the 1124 uses 24-bit DACs. The 1100 was known for audible noise and colorations when used for full range equalizing, but I don't know if the 1124 was substantially better. Both models should be equally effective for subwoofer equalizing. Both of them provide 2 x 12 parametric filters, so you can use them independently for two subs.

kexodusc
02-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Like I said, a bit late now for me, but for anyone else wondering a few people private messaged me who suggest the 1100 is every bit as capable for P EQ'ing. They assume that the 20-bit DAC's are more than sufficient for this use, I think I'd have to agree. I'm only taking these people at their word though, so please don't flame me if they're wrong.

I'm entertaining the notion of incorporating a 2nd sub into my large HT room...I have tons of MDF, veneer, and an extra plate amp so the only cost would be a woofer.

But, if I don't find that necessary, I might just try to rig something up so I can use the BFD in my basement studio's 2-channel system. We'll see, that'd require some switch work and a good run of cable. Might just be better off to buy a 2nd BFD for convenience sake.

Woochifer
02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Like I said, a bit late now for me, but for anyone else wondering a few people private messaged me who suggest the 1100 is every bit as capable for P EQ'ing. They assume that the 20-bit DAC's are more than sufficient for this use, I think I'd have to agree. I'm only taking these people at their word though, so please don't flame me if they're wrong.

I'm entertaining the notion of incorporating a 2nd sub into my large HT room...I have tons of MDF, veneer, and an extra plate amp so the only cost would be a woofer.

But, if I don't find that necessary, I might just try to rig something up so I can use the BFD in my basement studio's 2-channel system. We'll see, that'd require some switch work and a good run of cable. Might just be better off to buy a 2nd BFD for convenience sake.

Don't need a 2nd BFD for a two sub setup. The BFD allows you to independently set the L/R channels, which EACH provide 12 parametric filters. Or you can couple the channels together so that that the L/R outputs are filtered identically.

With the basement studio two-channel rig, you would likely run the full range premain output through the BFD, right? Keep in mind THAT is where you get the oft-mentioned criticism about the noise and coloration that people have noted about the BFD.

kexodusc
02-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Yeah good point...there's no LFE output on my integrated...think I'll keep it simple...the speakers response drops -6 dB around 34 Hz and faster after that anyway.

Downloaded the BFD sub test model spreadsheet...interesting results so far...I'm wondering if it's worth my time to invest in a Radio Shack SPL meter...I have 2 others...one's a Erickson/Adastra unit I acquired from an old job, about $90 USD, and the other a $280 Galaxy unit with several other insruments incorporated...not sure how accurate these are below 80 Hz or if corrections are needed, at least with the Rat Shack SPL meter I'd be sure. Maybe they're fine. Last thing I want is 3 SPL meters though....
Guess I should sell one of these on ebay...