Subwoofer cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer cables

elbarono
02-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Maybe I'm cheap but I can't see spending $40 (or more) on a subwoofer cable for a line-level connection. It seems to me that the voltage/current is so low, that the size of the cable shouldn't matter much. If it was coming from speaker-level outputs, then that would be a different story. Am I missing something?

sc03979
02-14-2005, 01:54 AM
I would just use a standard rca cabel. That's what me any my friend use. He's got a better receiver and sub then me and the sub sounds fine. Monster is the bose of cables and wires don't fall into the trap.

Aric M L
02-14-2005, 03:00 AM
The debate on whether or not to spend a bunch of money is one that rages on and on. But there is a forum just for discussing cables and if you go there I'm sure you'll find some of the info you need.

markw
02-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Personally, I'd say he already has all the valid info he needs.

kexodusc
02-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Personally, I'd say he already has all the valid info he needs.

LOL.

I would just add that in my humble experience, the cable itself is not so much the limiting factor as is the termination. Take a look at the connectors...if they're a good size, not flimsy and can tolerate you wiggling the wire without any noticeable side affects (ie: while plugged into something), than you're probably okay.

You can usually find some good quality inexpensive acoustic research cables on ebay. I like Radio Shack's Gold brand too.

$40 for subwoofer cable is a bit much, IMO...especially if nobody can provide you with a solid guarantee or at least a validated explanation of why a $40 cable is better.