Surround Back advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround Back advice

openwheel
12-21-2003, 09:24 AM
I am planning to purchase 2 speakers to fill out the home theatre to take advantage of Digital EX and DTS-ES.

Current Setup
Sony STDR-995 Reciever
Center - Infinity 332441
Front - Big cheap Jenson's
Surround - Infinity 2000.1
Sub-Paradigm 12"

I have been looking at the Infinity Primus 150's which are a little largers than the Infinitys above.

Should the larger inifnities go to Surround Back or just Surround?

This Guy
12-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Jensen's in the back as surround duty rather then having them in the more important front speakers. You DO NOT want poor quality front speakers and upgrade the less important surrounds. Unless you want to do some mods to your Jensens ( i have the C-7 towers,absolute crap before I replaced the mid and tweeter). SO save up money for the matching left and right speakers of the center speaker you have. Then If posible put the Jensen's as the rear or side surrounds ( doesn't matter which).

-Joey

openwheel
12-21-2003, 11:37 AM
That makes a lot of sense. I kind of thought I would get that answer. The problem is the Jensons are huge and my rear is the diningroom area which is not partioned from the livingroom. My wife would freak.

I may just follow your advice and get a decent set of fronts and then use a couple of older Yamahas I have for surround-backs and put the Jensons in the basement. I would keep the Infinities I have as surround.

There isn't alot of media out there in DD EX or DTS ES anyway. For occasional media the yamaha's will probably do ok and keep the wife happy. Sh*t, lifes one big compromise.

yakkosmurf
12-22-2003, 06:56 AM
There isn't alot of media out there in DD EX or DTS ES anyway. For occasional media the yamaha's will probably do ok and keep the wife happy. Sh*t, lifes one big compromise.
I feel for you. When my wife and I were house shopping a few months ago, I had a requirement of a game room. Now, I can do what I want with speakers and configuration and she doesn't care much what it looks like. I also have a nice 16'x13' room that is for the TV and home theater only. HT seats coming next year.

Good luck.

magictooth
12-22-2003, 11:38 AM

Hi!

Have you heard DD EX or DTS-ES in your room on a trial basis? I've got a large dedicated HT room (23'x14') with plenty of space behind the viewer(5.5' to be exact). The added channels in the back DID NOT make any really meaningful impact in my setup. There were times that I felt it did add a LITTLE bit like when the crebain circle in LOTR 1, and when Maximus' sword flies overhead and kills the Praetorian guard in Gladiator, but overall, the added expense and mess just was not worth it.

If I had the option, I'd try out some speakers from a big box store that you can return and see if the 6.1/7.1 setup is worth it. Personally, I'd be saving my pennies for a better front/center setup than the one that you've got right now instead of wasting the money on the extra rear surrounds.

Dave