side by side - LG and mitsu new dlp's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : side by side - LG and mitsu new dlp's

stan2
02-13-2005, 10:00 PM
wish i had the exact model numbers here... but i was at the store yest and did some looking at a store set up (high end a/v shop - not best buy, etc).. they had the latest LG 52" setting next to the latest mitsu 52". both were hd2+ chips. the mitsu was a wd series. LG was an RU series. LG was a few months old model; mitsu was real new.

the mitsu beat the LG for PQ. deeper blacks, easily. shadow was good in both, best in mitsu. both had 7 seg wheels, acc'd to the salesguy. the LG has that 'air bearing' wheel, or whatever. mitsu was unknown.

i toss this out for fyi. the LG was looking pretty good a couple months ago, with that HD2+ chip, esp price-wise. but the mitsu beats it now, for $3-400 more, based on processor, not chip. mitsu also has the anti glare screen, which did work. LG had no screen, so if you have kids or worry about scratches, mitsu would be better maybe...

evil__betty
02-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Drop those two brands and spring for the Samsung DLP's. The HLP5063 is great, and the HLP5085 is even better. The latter one has been discontinued from Samsung, so you can find it dirt cheap at alot of places. Samsung makes the best DLP on the market right now. Whatever the price difference is, it is a better buy. LG has put out some slick looking TV's as well, but the price difference between them and all the other big names out there isn't enough for me to put my own money down on them (hell, and I sell them).

Breezer88888
02-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Hey Betty,

I'd like to ask your opinion of the Samsung HLP 5074? I checked with Samsung to confirm that this is their latest table top DLP. They also got out of them that there will be an HLR series coming out in the Spring/Summer, but they couldn't share any specific upgrade details. Do you have any knowledge about the HLRs, or the HLP 5074?

Thanks,
Breezer

stan2
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey Betty,

I'd like to ask your opinion of the Samsung HLP 5074? I checked with Samsung to confirm that this is their latest table top DLP. They also got out of them that there will be an HLR series coming out in the Spring/Summer, but they couldn't share any specific upgrade details. Do you have any knowledge about the HLRs, or the HLP 5074?

Thanks,
Breezer

samsung 74 looks great, but the new mitsu was just as good. i would not do the samsung 63 series. it is being discounted and it's better than their earlier generation stuff (65 series, eg). the 74 is HD2+, which you will want if you see it side by side with earlier models. plus, the cabinet is much nicer looking, imo. that 85 series has a nice picture, i think it's 4th generation (HD2+), but i don't like that pedestal thingy.

topspeed
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the review Stan. I'm looking real hard at the Mits WD 52725 which uses the exact same chipset and processing as their Diamond version without the 125gig hard drive and slick gloss-black cabinet. The guys at avsforum.com told me the Mits glare shield doesn't work at all and that was kind of turning me off of the set. What did you think of it?

stan2
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the review Stan. I'm looking real hard at the Mits WD 52725 which uses the exact same chipset and processing as their Diamond version without the 125gig hard drive and slick gloss-black cabinet. The guys at avsforum.com told me the Mits glare shield doesn't work at all and that was kind of turning me off of the set. What did you think of it?

if that mits is their latest model, i think that's what i was looking at. HD2+ chip. the glare screen did cut down on glare, as compared to the LG sitting right next to it. i could see the difference in that room. pretty controlled lighting too. might be more valuable in a home situation. also, might provide some protection, esp if there were kids in the house.

the mits must have some other internals that are somewhat better too, because there seemed to be better detail in the dark areas with it, vs the LG. and it was the same as the diamond series, minus the hard drive, etc. the LG had going for it, i believe, a color wheel that had an 'air bearing' or something. longer life that most, said the sales guy. hope that helps.

godfatherofsoul
02-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Drop those two brands and spring for the Samsung DLP's. The HLP5063 is great, and the HLP5085 is even better. The latter one has been discontinued from Samsung, so you can find it dirt cheap at alot of places. Samsung makes the best DLP on the market right now. Whatever the price difference is, it is a better buy. LG has put out some slick looking TV's as well, but the price difference between them and all the other big names out there isn't enough for me to put my own money down on them (hell, and I sell them).

I also sell them and for my money the Mits DLP puts them all to shame. The black levels in the Mits with the 7 segment color wheel along with the HD2+ chip consistently show a better picture. IMO the Samsungs look horrible with standard TV and the blacks look washed out when watching HD or a DVD.
I do like the pedestal style on the HLP5085 though - GREAT design!
Cheers

godfatherofsoul
02-26-2005, 10:28 PM

The shield is removable and you can buy a frame ($50 US) to go it after you take the shield off. The shield does some good but some prefer it without - that is why Mits gives you the option.
Cheers

godfatherofsoul
02-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Betty,

Thanks,
Breezer

HLR series is due out the end of March or beginning of April. The HLP5074 uses the HD2+ chipset and looks a lot better than the HLP5063 though still not as good as the Mits DLP... Judge with your own eyes and look at HD content, DVDs and standard TV. If the place you are shopping can't show you all three, go look somewhere that can.
Cheers