Anyone have both a big screen HDTV over 42" & a HDTV under 36"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have both a big screen HDTV over 42" & a HDTV under 36"?

hershon
02-13-2005, 09:01 AM
This is driving me crazy and I want to know if this is just me, or is applicable to everyone. About 6 months ago I bought a 48" widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV for $1600 that I'm in love with- if it was a woman, I'd marry it- the picture is fantastic. The set is not Plasma or LCD.
Based on my new found love, I decided I needed an HDTV for my bedroom as well & got a 30" widescreen Samsung for $700 (I could probably have fit in a 32 or 34" set as well in my bedrrom). Again this is not Plasma or LCD which are out of my price range. The picture on the 30" Samsung is excellent, however, and this is what is driving me crazy, the picture doesn't seem to be nowehere as good as that of the 48" set. I had a TV repair man come to my house and check this out and he basically said, that all HDTV widescreen sets under 36" that aren't Plasma or LCD's will have a different tube set up than the big screen sets and the picture will therefore look different, though he didn't see as much difference as I did. I've since checked out other HDTV's under 36" in the stores that weren't Plasma or LCD's & didn't see any that had a significantly better picture than my 30" Samsung.

Do you guys notice the difference in picture quality too or is it just me?

evil__betty
02-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Sony makes a killer 30" and 34" widescreen HDTV. The HD is absolutly amazing on these guys. What kind of big screen is the Mitsubishi? It is just a CRT rear-projo? I highly recommend Hitachi for all things Big Screen (minus DLP - cause they just don't make 'em). LG has also released 30" & 34" HDTV widescreen tube sets that are a couple hundred cheaper than the Sony's and look almost as good! Check them out!

mjon99
02-16-2005, 05:49 AM
I have a 65" Sony CRT rear projection and my neighbor has a 36" Sony Wega HDTV. Although I haven't seen them side by side, I'd say the HD pictures are the same quality wise. The analog pictures are a different story though. The 36" is clearly the winner.

Evil: More Cowbell

evil__betty
02-16-2005, 09:51 AM
right on!

Mr Peabody
02-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm probably not a good judge because I like a brighter than normal picture due to an eye condition. However, I almost bought the Samsung but bought the Sony 30" widescreen tube instead. It's more expensive but the picture on the Sony is awesome. If some one didn't like a bright picture the Sony, as well as most TV's today, offer a few different factory picture settings. I also own the Toshiba DLP 62". Both have excellent pictures in my opinion. It's hard to compare because the Sony tube has a way of illuminating what's being shown like no other TV I've seen. If I had to choose which I would want both to look like I'd want my 62" to look like the Sony 30" tube.

Maybe contact Samsung and see if there is any settings you may have missed or go through the owner's manual again to see if you can find anything to improve the picture. Are you watching similar sources? It's always debated but I've found it worth while to buy high quality video cables.

When I was shopping for a tube TV the Samsung looked good just not as good as the Sony and the difference was worth the extra money to me. I didn't see anything else that looked any better than the Samsung.

hershon
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with my Samsung picture as its excellent but somehow it doesn't look as great my my big screen's picture. A TV technician stated that's because the big screen TV has 3 tubes and a normal TV under 36" has one.

I'm probably not a good judge because I like a brighter than normal picture due to an eye condition. However, I almost bought the Samsung but bought the Sony 30" widescreen tube instead. It's more expensive but the picture on the Sony is awesome. If some one didn't like a bright picture the Sony, as well as most TV's today, offer a few different factory picture settings. I also own the Toshiba DLP 62". Both have excellent pictures in my opinion. It's hard to compare because the Sony tube has a way of illuminating what's being shown like no other TV I've seen. If I had to choose which I would want both to look like I'd want my 62" to look like the Sony 30" tube.

Maybe contact Samsung and see if there is any settings you may have missed or go through the owner's manual again to see if you can find anything to improve the picture. Are you watching similar sources? It's always debated but I've found it worth while to buy high quality video cables.

When I was shopping for a tube TV the Samsung looked good just not as good as the Sony and the difference was worth the extra money to me. I didn't see anything else that looked any better than the Samsung.

LMB
02-22-2005, 11:33 AM
This is driving me crazy and I want to know if this is just me, or is applicable to everyone. About 6 months ago I bought a 48" widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV for $1600 that I'm in love with- if it was a woman, I'd marry it- the picture is fantastic. The set is not Plasma or LCD.
Based on my new found love, I decided I needed an HDTV for my bedroom as well & got a 30" widescreen Samsung for $700 (I could probably have fit in a 32 or 34" set as well in my bedrrom). Again this is not Plasma or LCD which are out of my price range. The picture on the 30" Samsung is excellent, however, and this is what is driving me crazy, the picture doesn't seem to be nowehere as good as that of the 48" set. I had a TV repair man come to my house and check this out and he basically said, that all HDTV widescreen sets under 36" that aren't Plasma or LCD's will have a different tube set up than the big screen sets and the picture will therefore look different, though he didn't see as much difference as I did. I've since checked out other HDTV's under 36" in the stores that weren't Plasma or LCD's & didn't see any that had a significantly better picture than my 30" Samsung.

Do you guys notice the difference in picture quality too or is it just me?

I HAVE THE SAME TV'S
YOUR MITSUBISHI IS A REAR PROJECTION TV & YOUR SAMSUNG IS A TUBE TV YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE
DO YOU HAVE A HDTV SATELLITE OR CABLE BOX?
YOU WILL SEE A BIGGER DIFFERNCE IN THE MITSUBISHI

hershon
02-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Cable Are all HD Ready Tube TV's about the same? How do you like your Mitsubishi? I can't imagine a better picture on another TV.

I HAVE THE SAME TV'S
YOUR MITSUBISHI IS A REAR PROJECTION TV & YOUR SAMSUNG IS A TUBE TV YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE
DO YOU HAVE A HDTV SATELLITE OR CABLE BOX?
YOU WILL SEE A BIGGER DIFFERNCE IN THE MITSUBISHI

LMB
02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Cable Are all HD Ready Tube TV's about the same? How do you like your Mitsubishi? I can't imagine a better picture on another TV.

I think the Mitsubishi is GREAT
I'm not sold yet on plasma TV's
Regular TV on a plasma looks awful
I'm spoiled on HDTV programs and looks great on the Mits.