best cable types for my setup? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best cable types for my setup?

HTenthusiast
02-12-2005, 09:22 AM
im awaiting delivery of my new toshiba 51H84.
i have a dish network satellite box, dvd player, and HT receiver. im only using standard digital programming, no HD.

currently everything is hooked up via component cables. all source audio/video goes into my receiver, then the video goes out to the tv.

can i get better picture quality with a different type of cable?

N. Abstentia
02-12-2005, 11:05 AM
If you're using component (3 seperate lines for video..R G and B) then stick with it as it's the best option over S-Video and composite (the yellow single cable).

Lensman
02-12-2005, 12:46 PM
im awaiting delivery of my new toshiba 51H84.
i have a dish network satellite box, dvd player, and HT receiver. im only using standard digital programming, no HD.

currently everything is hooked up via component cables. all source audio/video goes into my receiver, then the video goes out to the tv.

can i get better picture quality with a different type of cable?

DVI or HDMI is technically better with your DVD player because it transmits the signal digitally (much like a digital coax or optical cable does with the DVD's audio). This bypasses one set of digital/analog to analog/digital conversions. But a lot of people find component better for watching standard definition broadcasts. If you had to go with just one, component is probably best because even with DVDs the perceptual difference between component and DVI or HDMI will be slight, if noticeable at all.