The Zutons and The Redwalls [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Zutons and The Redwalls

ForeverAutumn
02-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Anyone heard of either of these bands? They're both opening for Keane in Toronto tomorrow night.

I've been listening to The Redwalls on-line. Their whole album is on their website for your listening pleasure. They aren't too bad. I would put them in with what seems to be a new trend of bands that appear to be heavily influenced by The Beatles and other such 60's Pop Bands. The music could get tiresome but I loved this review...

Chicago's Redwalls are clearly in thrall to classic rock: classic in the '60s sense, that is. Dylan, Neil Young, the Beatles, CCR, the Stones -- anyone who matched impassioned vocals with literate lyrics, and a rough-and-ready, small group rock sound. "Thrall" might be putting it too mildly. It is like classic '60s rock has them hypnotized. When the hypnotist's fingers snap, the band sets to work recreating note perfect imitations of their idols. "Colorful Revolution" is Dylan filtered through Stealers Wheel ("Stuck in the Middle"), of all people, with topically political lyrics (just like they used to have back in the old days); "It's Alright" is CCR fronted by John Lennon; "Speed Racer" is late period Beatles-styled rock 'n' roll, as is their cover of ZZ Top's "Balinese." "It's Love You're On" is mid-period Beatles rock 'n' roll; "I Just Want to Be the One" sounds like an outtake from Highway 61, right down to the organ. There is not an original note on this record. By all rights, it should be terrible. Actually, it is kind of fun. The band wins you over with their enthusiasm, dedication, and ability to craft songs that sound like their heroes' songs, but also sound good too. Besides, the Beatles broke up ages ago; Lennon's dead, and Dylan hasn't made a decent record since the motorcycle crash, so there is a gap in the market for a band like The Redwalls. They fill it with panache, and any classic rocker would be silly to dismiss Universal Blues as mere imitation. Better to just throw away your purist notions and enjoy the rock. ~ Tim Sendra, All Music Guide

The Zutons are harder to find samples for. There isn't anything on their web site that I can find unless I want to pay to download stuff from itunes. So, I had to go to Amazon which only plays 30 seconds of each song. :(

According to Amazon, customers who shopped for The Zutons also shopped for The Futureheads and Razorlight. Could be right up the alley of a few folks here. From the 30 second snippets that I heard, they would have more staying power than The Redwalls, I think.

MindGoneHaywire
02-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I've only listened to it once, but I thought the Zutons rec was pretty decent; I liked it better than the Futureheads & nearly as much as the Killers, Snow Patrol, et al. Nothing great, but interesting artwork & not a bad rec.

Swish
02-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Anyone heard of either of these bands? They're both opening for Keane in Toronto tomorrow night.
The music could get tiresome but I loved this review...
on, customers who shopped for The Zutons also shopped for The Futureheads and Razorlight. Could be right up the alley of a few folks here. From the 30 second snippets that I heard, they would have more staying power than The Redwalls, I think.

in Nardone's "Gallery of Sound" in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I was shopping at my favorite men's store nearby, making a special trip for their annual sale, while my wife headed to the esteemed Wegman's grocery store. I was finished at the men's store and had some time to kill while waiting for my wife to come back for me, so I hit the record store. I used to live in this area of the state and Nardone's was the only place to find a decent selection in the city, so I was more than happy to visit.

Anyway, the young lad at the counter was choosing some tunes to play and I immediately recognized Ray Lamontagne's "Trouble", so we starting chatting about all types of music. Before I knew it, he told me they had an import by the Kings of Leon called "Aha Shake Hearbreak", so I quickly grabbed a copy of that. Next he showed me a live EP by My Morning Jacket titled "Acoustic Citsuoga" that was on sale for $2.99, so I grabbed that as well. It's only five tracks, but very nice indeed. Then he proceeded to hand me several free samplers, including the one with the aftorementioned track by the Zutons called "Railraod" off thei Epic release "Who Killed the Zutons?". It's a decent tune for sure, and I would certainly spend the $ to buy the ceedee based on what I heard.

Another sampler he gave me is called "Return of the Holiday Hangover", a double disc with plenty of good stuff, including tracks by the Fiery Furnaces, Bowling for Sour, Tony Joe White, and Gavin Degraw. The only problem is that both discs are the SAME. Yep, I got 2 of Disc # 2, and #1 has Government Mule, Citizen Cope, The Blue Nile, and Rachael Yamagata among others. I a little peeved, but it was a freebie, so what can you do? Return it? Ha! That would be fun to do, but it's about a 90 minute drive, so that's not going to happen.

So did you go to the show Fall Girl???

Swish

ForeverAutumn
02-13-2005, 11:54 AM
You went to the clothing store FIRST???? Oh man, you need to get your priorities straight. :D

The show is tonight and, yes, I'm going. It's a girls night out. I'm heading out with some good friends that I haven't seen in a while, so it promises to be a fun night that I've been looking forward to for weeks.

I've got plenty of cash in my pocket and have pre-priced the CDs for both of the opening bands, so if they are selling their wares (and I'm sure that they will be) I'm prepared. At least it won't be like The Trews. I paid $22 for their CD before they ever started getting any radio exposure and nobody knew who they were. Then a couple of weeks later I went to see them, and they were selling the CD for $15 (tax in) at the show. Boy did I feel ripped off.

Swish
02-13-2005, 01:04 PM
You went to the clothing store FIRST???? Oh man, you need to get your priorities straight. :D

The show is tonight and, yes, I'm going. It's a girls night out. I'm heading out with some good friends that I haven't seen in a while, so it promises to be a fun night that I've been looking forward to for weeks.

I've got plenty of cash in my pocket and have pre-priced the CDs for both of the opening bands, so if they are selling their wares (and I'm sure that they will be) I'm prepared. At least it won't be like The Trews. I paid $22 for their CD before they ever started getting any radio exposure and nobody knew who they were. Then a couple of weeks later I went to see them, and they were selling the CD for $15 (tax in) at the show. Boy did I feel ripped off.

and his January sale is not to be missed!

I misread your post and thought it was Saturday night, not Sunday. You paid $22 for a cd before the show? That's a lot for a band that hasn't made the big time. I've paid upwards of $15.00, but got the artist's signature on the sucker (John Gorka, although that was for a friend since I'm not really a fan, and Gillian Welch, whick I will cherish until the day I die. I even had my picture taken with her. Wanna see it???)

Hey, enjoy the show Aunt E....oops! I almost let that one slip!

Regards,
Swish

Jim Clark
02-13-2005, 01:49 PM
and Gillian Welch, whick I will cherish until the day I die. I even had my picture taken with her. Wanna see it???)

Regards,
Swish

Isn't there a copy of the restraining order at smoking gun dot com?

Maybe that was someone else?

jc-just sitting around hacking up my lungs still, but feeling a bit ornery anyhow.

Swish
02-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I only followed her tour bus for a few hours. Well, at least until I ran out of gas, but that's not the point! ;)

Well, maybe saying I would "cherish it until the day I die" was a little over-stated. I like Gillian just fine and the show was excellent. We were on vacation in San Diego and drove up to Solana Beach to see her and her partner, David Rawlings. I really didn't expect her to be signing cds after the show, but there she was, so I took full advantage of the photo op. The only sucky thing was that I somehow had my digital camera set to black and white, and I have no idea how that happened. Anyway, she was one nice lady, taking a few minutes to talk to us. When she found out we were from PA, she told me her dad was from a MacDonald,PA, in the western part of the state. She was surprised that I actually knew the town, although it's a very tiny village on the other side of the state. One of my college buddies was actually from there and I remember driving thru it once.

If you're sick what the hell are you doing here? Get back to bed and get some rest you knuckle-head.

Swishster