Greetings from Osaka [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Osaka

Stone
12-21-2003, 05:40 AM
I got to Osaka today and already checked out the Tower Records across the street from my hotel. I bought 3 CDs that I don't think are available in the states except as imports.

Are there any Japanese artists or releases I should look out for? The three I bought are Husking Bee, Kiwiroll, and Thee Michelle Gun Elephant. The person I'm traveling with bought the latest Matthew Sweet. There are TONS of Japanese artists, and there's a whole punk section, etc. of Japanese artists. I just really don't know what to look for, so any help would be appreciated.

Stone

-Jar-
12-21-2003, 06:31 AM
I do think their stuff is somewhat available in the states, but these guys just rock out like mad.. sort of like Fu Manchu or Nebula with the intensity of early Boredoms.. from what I recall.

-jar

Swish
12-21-2003, 07:21 AM
I got to Osaka today and already checked out the Tower Records across the street from my hotel. I bought 3 CDs that I don't think are available in the states except as imports.

Are there any Japanese artists or releases I should look out for? The three I bought are Husking Bee, Kiwiroll, and Thee Michelle Gun Elephant. The person I'm traveling with bought the latest Matthew Sweet. There are TONS of Japanese artists, and there's a whole punk section, etc. of Japanese artists. I just really don't know what to look for, so any help would be appreciated.

Stone
artists, much less Japanese. Hope you have a great time over there. I'd love to go one day as it appears to be a very interesting country. How long are you staying by the way?

Say Stone, how much did your friend pay for M. Sweet's "Kimi Ga Suki" over there? I checked on Amazon and they want $45.Ouch! I think I'll wait until I can get it for a more reasonable price when I figure I can buy 3 other cds with that much money.

Regards,
Swish

Stone
12-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Say Stone, how much did your friend pay for M. Sweet's "Kimi Ga Suki" over there? I checked on Amazon and they want $45.Ouch! I think I'll wait until I can get it for a more reasonable price when I figure I can buy 3 other cds with that much money.

I think she paid about $20 for it. Most of the CDs in Tower are $19 - $25. Not exactly cheap, so that's why I'm looking for stuff that I can't find in the states or only as a high-priced import.

Hey Jar, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find some stuff by them, and hopefully talk to someone over here who's heard of them.

Stone

tentoze
12-21-2003, 02:27 PM

Stone

Dunno if you'd be into it, but if there are listening posts in Tower or anywhere, Fumio Miya****a is pretty cool- experimental electronic stuff; been around for a long time, so there probably is a big catalog available over there for him.

Dusty Chalk
12-21-2003, 07:41 PM
If I were in Japan, I'd try to find me some Coaltar of the Deepers.

But that's just me.

Stone
12-22-2003, 05:18 AM
This time I got:

Coaltar of the Deepers - No Thank You
Coaltar of the Deepers - Newave
Tokusatsu - Omurizer (I believe a Coaltar of the Deepers side project)

They didn't have either High Rise or Fumio. They had both in their computer, but neither in stock.

Thanks for the recs.

Stone

tentoze
12-22-2003, 05:47 AM
This time I got:

Coaltar of the Deepers - No Thank You
Coaltar of the Deepers - Newave
Tokusatsu - Omurizer (I believe a Coaltar of the Deepers side project)

They didn't have either High Rise or Fumio. They had both in their computer, but neither in stock.

Thanks for the recs.

Stone

Unklebob is high on Puffy Amiyumi, but I dunno anything about 'em, except that I think it's 2 girls, and Puff Daddy, or P. Diddy, or whatever, sued them when they first started, because their name was just Puffy to begin with.

Dusty Chalk
12-22-2003, 06:35 AM
Whoa! I didn't expect you (a) to actually find anything; or (b) to listen to my rec. I'll be happy to take them off your hands if you end up not liking them or something, I don't think I have any of those.

Davey.
12-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Dunno if you'd be into it, but if there are listening posts in Tower or anywhere, Fumio Miya****a is pretty cool- experimental electronic stuff; been around for a long time, so there probably is a big catalog available over there for him.
Nothing to add but just thought I would pass along a way to get around the censor which you can use (or not). Just add a no-op code in the word and it will then display the way you want. For instance, in the name above if you typed it instead as Fumio Miyas&lt;a>hita it would display as Fumio Miyas<a>hita.

But don't tell anyone that I told you :)

tentoze
12-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Nothing to add but just thought I would pass along a way to get around the censor which you can use (or not). Just add a no-op code in the word and it will then display the way you want. For instance, in the name above if you typed it instead as Fumio Miyas<a>hita it would display as Fumio Miya****a.

But don't tell anyone that I told you :)

Good to know, but I think it's BULLSHI<a>TE to have to do anything. This must be what freaking AOL with parental controls enabled is like.

:mad:

paper warrior
12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Never been to Japan so I don't know anything about Japanese releases but 2 of my fave albums are American releases of Japanese artists- Brand New Knife by Shonen Knife And Talking Dirty In Hawaiian By Petty Booka.
Also have you heard Orquesta de la Luz the Japanese salsa band!?? They're great.
Also I had to check Pizzacato 5 when I read they sound like the Beatles on amazon though to me sounds more like Burt Bacharach.

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 12:34 PM
You're in Osaka, Japan, Stoney?!?

WTH? Did I miss something? The rest of us sadsacks report everytime we go to the corner store for a six-pack, and you just happen to post from Japan?

Cool... are you there on business or pleasure, or a little of both?

Snowie

Stone
12-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Cool... are you there on business or pleasure, or a little of both?

Snowie

You didn't miss anything. I've been on the road almost all of December (all US destinations until now). It's all business, and I'm here less than 48 hours, most of which is work time. That's why I hit the Tower across the street and haven't been able to track down any cool little indie shops. I head back for the airport in a few hours.

It doesn't leave much time for a social life, and for once in my life I could actually have one right now, if ya catch my drift...

Have a nice Christmas.

Stone

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 02:52 PM
You didn't miss anything.

Have a nice Christmas.

Stone

Is everyone that blase? No one even blinked when you said you were posting from Osaka, so I thought I'd missed a whole thread! :rolleyes: That's pretty cool in my books!

It doesn't leave much time for a social life, and for once in my life I could actually have one right now, if ya catch my drift...

Just out of prison, Stoney??? Heheheh...

Kidding!!! Have a great Christmas, buddy. Heard any music by DoMakeSayThink?

Snowie

dld
12-23-2003, 06:37 AM
Hey Davey, on that world music VHS comp I sent you about, oh, 11 years ago. there was this GREAT Japanese group on there. The video involved a transformer and the song, to me, was outrageously good, lots of quirky changes that worked. Can you remember their name? I won't say its been driving me crazy trying to remember the group, but I have spent a few minutes here or there wundrin who the heck that was.