KEF 105 series 1 upgrades [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : KEF 105 series 1 upgrades

jakone
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Purchased a pair of KEF 105's series 1 about 3 months ago and I have to say I'm amazed at how fantastic they are! They were fairly cheap here in the U.K (£250) and although not in the best condition all the drivers etc. are perfect and sound wonderful. The next step is upgrading the cross overs/internal wiring and bypassing the daft fuse system on the back of them. Does anyopne know how I would go about this??? To say I wasn't handy with a soldering iron would be an understatement mind...any ideas where or who I would approach about this? If anyone does find any of these monsters I can't praise them enough. I run a recording studio and been a session musician (saxophone) for 12 years and I sound more like me on them than pretty much anything else, including big studio monitors costing tens of thousands of pounds..

Thanks!

James

James.ca
02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Purchased a pair of KEF 105's series 1 about 3 months ago and I have to say I'm amazed at how fantastic they are! They were fairly cheap here in the U.K (£250) and although not in the best condition all the drivers etc. are perfect and sound wonderful. The next step is upgrading the cross overs/internal wiring and bypassing the daft fuse system on the back of them. Does anyopne know how I would go about this??? To say I wasn't handy with a soldering iron would be an understatement mind...any ideas where or who I would approach about this? If anyone does find any of these monsters I can't praise them enough. I run a recording studio and been a session musician (saxophone) for 12 years and I sound more like me on them than pretty much anything else, including big studio monitors costing tens of thousands of pounds..

Thanks!

James
Hi James
Check KEF speaker reviews I seen a poat up theother wek back on a guy soin g a up grade and did mention parts also the KEf105.2 rewiwes as well.
I right behind in tryn gto find a used pait
I don't care whathe cbs loo like can always repainthem .
My buddyhad a apir of these back in 77 wen t they first came out .
FromwhatIhave readonthe net on eof the al time greas in refeience monitors . They poeple who own tend to staywiththem
I can't fin d a apir in my city at all
ifyou got aeal on yours consider your self lucky.
Hope yo have areal decent amp forhte they do deserve it .
You bust them the speaker gods with frown on you for ever !1
James Toronto

TheTvricky
07-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I recently picked up a pair of KEF 105 the original ones with matching serial numbers. Can anyone tell me more about them. do I need to rewire and how do I do so. I have the fuses in the back also are they still available. Also what older Amp/ Reciever and preamp would you reccomend. Thanks