Surround Reievers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround Reievers

James.ca
02-11-2005, 07:21 AM
I just bought a used JVC RX660VBk surround reciever.
Rated at a 100 watts per channel but who's rating system !?
!
Couple of tech's told me minus apx 2\3's of the rated out put is more of a real life wattage than what is rated in there spec section .
Thought this was kind of odd on it's rated output to the wieght of the amp !!
Choose carefully when buying these surround units .
I'm using this unit to learn on and maybe move up to a surround pre amp and active drivers . With active driver s can chose to what I want to buy in dirvers as well.
James

edtyct
02-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, since no universal standards for measuring power exist, manufacturers are free to create their own. So they often base their power ratings on a congenial frequency at 8 ohms with only one or two channels driven. Realistic power ratings would take account of demanding bass frequencies and loads with all channels running. Only high-current receivers with good power supplies, like those from Rotel and NAD, would dare to publish such informative specs. Rotel and NAD's receivers, even those rated below 100 watts, carry more real-world power than most other mass market receivers.

Ed

paul_pci
02-11-2005, 02:02 PM
One rule of thumb is that your cheaper, mass market receivers are going to be less honest about their true wattage output, whereas your better brands receivers (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon) are going to rate their receivers much closer to the true specs. But what does this mean really? Not a whole hell of a lot, unless you intend to blast some really demanding music sequences through cheap speakers. While it's safe to say you're not going to get the power that JVC implies you will, you may also not need ti either. If it performs consistently to your intention and desire, don't sweat the numbers. If it doesn't, shop for a new receiver.

James.ca
02-14-2005, 08:04 PM
One rule of thumb is that your cheaper, mass market receivers are going to be less honest about their true wattage output, whereas your better brands receivers (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon) are going to rate their receivers much closer to the true specs. But what does this mean really? Not a whole hell of a lot, unless you intend to blast some really demanding music sequences through cheap speakers. While it's safe to say you're not going to get the power that JVC implies you will, you may also not need ti either. If it performs consistently to your intention and desire, don't sweat the numbers. If it doesn't, shop for a new receiver.
Well Ithas gotten scurity to show up at the door !!
Actually it's palying pretty clean so far.
I grabbed it my neighbour for 30 bucks so I'm not *****ing to bad over but the JVC manual did say 100 watt rms !!
It wi do for nowasa learing tool and i' l set i t up for my Tvand home stero lateron it wi do fine fo rthe house
I 'mplanning on using at a playback with my digital audio recording set up
Goin gto run 2 pairs of celstions on front and centre speakers a apir of radido shack book shelf inthe rar with 2 x 30 wat phils subs with 6.5 " driversin them
. The celestions like some jucie inthem to gethem going .
I'll beonthe lok out for some proper monitrs in the future but withmy currnt buget hey willdo for now .
My best pairof the celstion is an old pair of DITTON 33 series II 3 way boxes with a poly pro-pa leane driver inthe bottm end .
Looked lked they were trying to comepete with KEF inthe same time period .
They did sem to put some R&D into these .
James

popolz
02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't know if your manual is just like mine but I have a JVC 7042S and it says in stereo mode, 130W RMS per channel @8ohms ( 20Hz to 20KHz) and in Surround mode, 130W RMS per channel @ 8ohms (1khz).

James.ca
02-15-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't know if your manual is just like mine but I have a JVC 7042S and it says in stereo mode, 130W RMS per channel @8ohms ( 20Hz to 20KHz) and in Surround mode, 130W RMS per channel @ 8ohms (1khz).
Hel amp is rated at a 100 watts a chnnel but more like 50 on a good days .

It clean juice so I'm Ok with seeing I got a great deal on the unit.
But sale guys said go with higher end names for true power setting , Yamaaaaha , rotel , denon , Harmon Kardon .
If I get another one most like go Yamaha have great support and the gear is built well .

james :)