Spock's Beard - Octane [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spock's Beard - Octane

N. Abstentia
02-11-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm surprised there has not been much discussion here on this CD yet.

I've been listening to it for about a week and I'm absolutely floored. This is simply just a beautiful CD from start to finish, it's perfectly crafted.

I thought Neal leaving would be the end, and I passed on Feel Euphoria after hearing a little bit of it so this is my first real non-Neal SB experience. Neal might be missed just a little bit lyrically, but musically I think things are much improved. As much as I love Snow, Octane might just top it.

If you're on the fence about Octane, get off the fence and buy it TODAY.

Dave_G
02-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I have it but it hasn't hit me yet but I've only given it 2 spins.

Dave

Finch Platte
02-11-2005, 06:32 AM
I have it but it hasn't hit me yet but I've only given it 2 spins.

Dave

I don't know if I like it or not yet. Of course, I haven't heard it.

fp

progfan
02-11-2005, 07:42 PM
N. Absentia seems to be one of the few I've seen that really likes "Octane". It's been getting a real lambasting in prog circles. I admit, I'm curious about it. I haven't heard "Feel Euphoria" or Neal Morse's solo albums. The last Spock's Beard I bought was "Snow" which I really enjoyed. I'll probably get "Octane" this weekend just to see what all the controversy's about and to add my 2 cents.

My Gosh, did I mention how good Arena's Pepper's Ghost is? :D

DarrenH
02-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I for one liked Feel Euphoria. I just got Octane today and only listened to it once. It didn't grab me the first time around but neither did Feel Euphoria. I think Octane will come around. Track 5, "Climbing Up That Hill", has got a nice hook. I like that tune. Oh, I got the 2 disc version but haven't listened to the bonus cd yet.

Darren

N. Abstentia
02-12-2005, 05:07 AM
Well I love Octane, but I can understand why it might be getting a lambasting on prog circles. All the homages to early 70's prog bands like Crimson/Yes/Genesis are gone. In fact what it reminds me of most is my favorite Rush era from Grace through Presto. That's probably why it floored me from the start. The prog homages are replaced by a more finely crafted song structure that flows perfectly throughout the entire CD. I haven't found a weak spot in the music yet.

But I did a google search for 'spock's beard octane reviews' and every review I read was nothing but 100% positive. I've not seen a negative review yet. This is simply the sound of a band on top of it's game and hitting on all cylinders.

What can I do to urge you folks to get this CD?? There are sample tracks on the SB website, do you need more? I'll make more if you want to hear some more!

BarryL
02-24-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised there has not been much discussion here on this CD yet.

I've been listening to it for about a week and I'm absolutely floored. This is simply just a beautiful CD from start to finish, it's perfectly crafted.

I said upon the first few listens that it sounds like an excuse for a tour, i.e., not a great album. But I've been listening to it for about a week, and I take it back. I really am starting to enjoy and appreciate this album and now rate it very highly. It's a change from the earlier prog stylings, with a heavier rock'n'roll feel, but with the musical sensibilities of seasoned musicians.

A Flash Before My Eyes is a great suite of tunes, and the band rocks on the final tune, As Long As We Ride. Nick V's vocals are pretty strong here, even reminding me of Kevin Gilbert on one track. Not for everyone, but I now think this is a very satifying album, and am looking forward to the next one. That's good news for me.

Dave_G
02-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I want the new Arena.

I need the new Arena.

I gotta get the new Arena.

Dave

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
A Flash Before My Eyes is a great suite of tunes, and the band rocks on the final tune, As Long As We Ride. Nick V's vocals are pretty strong here, even reminding me of Kevin Gilbert on one track. Not for everyone, but I now think this is a very satifying album, and am looking forward to the next one. That's good news for me.

It is possible that Nicks' vocals remind you of Kevin Gilbert for a good reason. They may be Nick's vocals that you had identified as Kevin's. On "The Shaming of the True", (Gilbert's post-mortem release), Nick completed several songs and sang on them. It was intentially left uncredited as to what Kevin sang and what Nick sang.

Anyhow, I picked Octane a week ago and have been playing it regularly. I find it very spotty: some good tunes and some horrible. There is one that I have to skip every time; don't have the case here to list the name.

I love the mellotron sound that Ryo gets on the opening track. I find it humorous that the mellotron sound, (which is an imperfect copy of orchestral sounds), is now a sought after sound in it's own rite.

I broke down and bought the Arena disc too. And I have to say: Wow! Quite a nice surprise. Sowden's phrasing doesn't annoy me like it did on "Immortal?".

peace!

BarryL
02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
It is possible that Nicks' vocals remind you of Kevin Gilbert for a good reason. They may be Nick's vocals that you had identified as Kevin's. On "The Shaming of the True", (Gilbert's post-mortem release), Nick completed several songs and sang on them. It was intentially left uncredited as to what Kevin sang and what Nick sang.

I just assumed that Gilbert sang all of the songs on Shaming, not really paying much attention. I'll have to go back and listen. I knew that NDV played with KG and was heavily involved in getting those postumous albums out, so I knew the connection. I just figured that Nick put himself into KG mode to assume the leadership role in Spock's Beard (now, what would Kevin do?), and so ended up with a Kevin Gilbert vocal sound. The song that reminds me of Gilbert is Surfing Down the Avalanche. Funny that I don't think he sounds like Kevin Gilbert on any other songs.

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
02-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I just figured that Nick put himself into KG mode to assume the leadership role in Spock's Beard (now, what would Kevin do?), and so ended up with a Kevin Gilbert vocal sound. .

Now wouldn't that be a band to hear....if Gilbert replaced Neal Morse in Spocks Beard....

Kaboom
02-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I dont think i've listened to the album enough to be able to write a consistent post about what i think, but i think its not as high as snow or the light on me "kickass album list". of course its there, but i dunno... the concept of very long songs has grown on me (gimme thick as a brick!!!!), and i find the more "rocky" and less "proggy" sound not as pleasing.
the musicianship is undoubtedly excellent though.
i'll listen to it a few more times (i started playing it as soon as i read the title of this thread) and will come back and make a more educated post.
cheers!

Dave_G
02-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Spocks Beard.

Prog.

Discussed on Audio Review.

Love 'em or hate 'em, if prog is being discussed here then things in the world are okay.

Why, next thing you know, there will be a 100+ thread on The Flower Kings.

I wish everybody would give prog a chance.

A little Tull and Rush and KANSAS and Galahad never hurt anyone...

Dave

N. Abstentia
02-27-2005, 06:01 AM
I'm going to follow up on my inital reaction to Ocatne a few weeks after listening to it almost every day:

STILL one of the top 5 CD's I own. Gets better every time I listen to it, and there are zero weak spots on the entire CD.

In fact I went back and listned to SB's V CD and it actually sounded quite dated in comparison which is when I realized that one of the things I like about Octane is that now they sound like Spock's Beard. They no longer sound like an homage to Yes/Crimson/any other 70's prog and now they truly sound like Spock's Beard.