Audiophiles on the Computer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audiophiles on the Computer

fervour
02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi, I have a great sound system in my living room, but i find myself listening to a lot of my music in front of the computer now. I own a pair of hd600's, a creek obh-11 headphone amp w/ upgraded power supply, and a creative audigy 2 nx as a sound card. Should I change my sound card? Are there any "audiophile" computer sound cards out there I should be aware of that will sound better than my audigy2 nx (because of course it doesn't sound as good as what comes out of my system)? Thanks a lot!

plextor guy
02-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi, I have a great sound system in my living room, but i find myself listening to a lot of my music in front of the computer now. I own a pair of hd600's, a creek obh-11 headphone amp w/ upgraded power supply, and a creative audigy 2 nx as a sound card. Should I change my sound card? Are there any "audiophile" computer sound cards out there I should be aware of that will sound better than my audigy2 nx (because of course it doesn't sound as good as what comes out of my system)? Thanks a lot!

The audigy 2 series is about as good as it gets in a consumer level card in my experience. I've used a couple other cards marketed towards the audiophile market from m-audio and Turtle Beach but I can't say there were dramatic differences in sound quality. The nice thing about the audigy series is that it does the processing onboard unlike the m-audio revolution. If you're a gamer, this will mean slower frame rates with the revolution than with an audigy 2 series. If this isn't relevant, reviewers seem to love the revolution series and usually give it a thumbs up over the audigy. At less than 100 bucks it might be something you want to try. There are a number of pro level cards but the prices are usually steep without what I guess are significant differences in playback sound quality.

sc03979
02-14-2005, 01:45 AM

From what I hear from others in other forums about the best you can get for music is the E-MU 0404. Here's a
LINK (http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2220&category=754&maincategory=754://)